DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Guy

Brigadier

Greetings all.

I found this site last week while looking for info on Book 12.  I was quite impressed, and thought I'd join.  Hopefully I can make some useful contributions to some of the discussions.  I've learned a few things that I hadn't picked up on just from reading some of the discussions.

About myself:  I'm in my mid-30s and live in western Wisconsin with my wife and 3 kids.  I grew up as a farm kid in the northern part of the state, studied history in college, and took a job as a correctional officer with our local Sheriff's Dept. after graduation.  I was introduced to WoT by one of my inmates, who had just received the newly released A Crown of Swords.  I was hooked instantly, and since then I have gotten several other people hooked on the series also.  I have found that I can never pick one of the books out of order to read.  I have to start at the beginning and read the whole series through.  As a result, I have read the first few books many times, while I've only read books 10 and 11 about two, maybe three times.  I'm eagerly awaiting Book 12.

Welcome aboard :)

I totally understand what you mean about reading them in order - I had to put off doing a re-read for the better part of this past year because my copy of The Dragon Reborn went missing when I moved country/house.

There's tons of things to do and tons of people to talk to all over the site, so check out as much of it as you can, from the discussions to the orgs to the roleplay/divs :)  And all in all - have a good time!

Welcome! Hope to see you around and above all else, have fun! Sounds like you might enjoy the ORGs or the Warders DIV. Just remember that the ORGs are more talking and haaving fun while the DIVs are more roleplaying and having fun that way. Enjoy DM!

Sylvirci

Welcome to DM!

I know what you mean about reading books in order! You just can't read a book out of order - it's a crime to do so!

What sort of things interest you? Any hobbies etc etc? Only asking so that we might be able to point you in the direction of the various ORGs that offer activities based on them. But, of course, you could pick someone totally random and different!

But whatever you do at DM, have fun! :)

Interests and hobbies:

My current most common activity is trying to keep up with my 3 teenage kids' school activities - my oldest just finished his 1st year of college and the younger two are wrapping up 9th and 8th grades.  When I do have free time, I do a lot of reading.  I've always been a sci-fi/fantasy junkie, and have been a Star Wars fanatic since 1977.  I was a gamer when I was younger.  I still play the occasional video game, usually strategy or RPG types (the Baldur's Gate series is my all-time favorite).  I'm also a deer hunter.  I hope that doesn't bother anyone too much.

Mmm, delicious Bambi... 

Bit of a pacifist myself (in spite of having served in the USAF), but I don't let my opinions on hunting influence my friendships here.  But then, I'm rarely in the discussion boards either, so :)

I seem to be addicted to what I would call world-builder games, which my friends insist are 'God' games.  I find that bemusing; the only 'God' game that comes to mind, to me, is Black & White, and I never could get on with that one...

Awesome! My kids are 12, 4 and almost 2. I haven't been deer hunting in like 15 yrs. I was 15 at the time out in VA. It's fun but I use all that I can and don't "trophy" hunt. Caan't afford it out here in Cali though. :(

Anywho, I love RPGs and Baldur's Gate is an awesome game, sounds like you would have fun in the RP/DIV side of things. I won't push to any one specifically  ;) but I could name two that could use a new member. You'll just have to come check the DIVs out. ;D Some of the ORGs talk about Star Wars so I'm sure you'll like it there too. Take your time and find your place/s here and again have fun!

Syl

warders guild got a own star wars tread going atm, dunno whats in it just that its some star wars and i think i saw something about something else star as well, even if i am a member there just not in it enough to get into that specific (leaving that to the boy half of the guild)

oh also um on a more personal note, if you grew up in active farm enviroment then you migth know a lil about orgs and buisnises above the farm level, like advicors, and those selling services and whatnot to farmers? *puts on hopefull puppy eyes* soon masterdegree graduated european student here you see, and my bf is in the states so sort of need work over there, but unsure where to start looking, as i know there are heaps of differenses, size wise, structural and law wise

if your not sure or not up for it totaly understand, but would love you to death if you actualy knew something that could help get me started in how to attack things, and where to start looking

Thanks for the tips everyone.  I'll probably just wander around the site for a while to see how everything works, but I don't think it will be long before I try out some of the orgs.

Ata, I'm afraid I won't be much help on the business angle of agriculture.  My grandfather's farm was small, and I never had anything to do with the business or legal/tax aspects of it.  You can feel free to e-mail me questions if you want to.  Maybe I could come up with an answer.  What type of work are you looking for?  If it's agriculture related, you might be able to get information from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.  I'm sure most state governments have agencies that could help as well.

i am afriad i wont have the luxury of being picky, i need the work visa to get into the states, and not helping likely that i want it in a specific area

knew it was a long shot but figured was worth a try *s* thanks for the reply *s* and hope to see you around the place *s*, will see about the department and all, and yeah jobwise at least here in norway my prospects in the branch above farm level really since i got a master soon

Archived