DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Katerine Vs. Verin

cloglord

Okay, was reading a bit from the begining of KoD's and something I had noticed before stuck out to me again.  In the final part of the prolouge, Katerine Aldurin played an almost too prominent role.  She was especially nasty, and shows up in more than one place in this book. 

If you assume that Verin is headed to the tower to get the horn, and if you assume that Verin has puzzled out that Katerine is BA from her escape from Carhien.  Do you think that Verin will unmask Katerine while back in the tower?  If so will this play a part in the BA hunt that is currently underway?  Is it possible that the basements that have housed the secret BA hunt are located near the horn's hiding place? 

We know that the Horn's location is known to only Siuan and Verin.  So, while it's possible that the Horn is still in the Tower, my guess is that it is not.  I don't think either of them would risk another sister stumbling over it.

Now as to IF Verin visits the Tower would she unmask Katerine if she knew she was BA.  I'd say yes.  Verin has not been the most kindly disposed to either Katerine or Elaida since the time when Siuan and Moiraine tested for the shawl.

It would be fairly easy for Verin to get back in the Tower, but honestly if she is going the normal way she will run right into Egwene's army.  My guess is she will probably Travel to her own apartments and work from the inside if possible, maybe even be key to helping Egwene, or the BA hunters or who knows.

I guess specifically, I was thinking that such an interaction was likely to happen given the setup.  I mean in order for Verin to get inot the tower freeley, she would have to at least pretend to be aligned with the tower faction.  The only person in the tower who knows that had previously aligned herself with the salidar embassy is Katerine.  Katerine risks uncovering herself as BA if she outs Verin, and Verin would probably try to out Katerine if she finds out that is in the tower.  Given the need to resolve the BA thread, I see an opportunity for this bit of plot twistyness to help push the BA hunt out into the open. If Verin openly denounces Katerine, then the hall would get involved in getting to the bottom of it.  If say a select group of sitters managed to get put in charge of the Katerine investigation, they could easily tie it to what they've already uncovered, and push the whole Great Purge into high gear.

I honestly don't see Verin denouncing anyone. Her every action has been hiden in shadows, its clearly her method. If she decides to move against Katerine it will be silently, and with Katerine ending in an unmarked grave.

My guess is the 'plot twistyness' about the black ajah will be resolved due to Alviarin--more specifically, because of the letter Alviarin sent Rand. It has been mentioned in every book since it was sent, most recently raised directly by Egwene in thoughts of how to use it against Alviarin. It ties directly to the original reason that the BA Hunters were formed, and links to their ongoinging concideration of Elaida's actions. Added to the fact that Alviarin is now hunting them in turn....

Archived