DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Geographical question for Charles Guybon (sp?).

GrandpaG

I've noticed that you seem to be into maps of Randland.

This occurred to me the other day and I think you will probably know the answer or be able to figure it out more easily than I could.

If after the Last Battle the entire Blight recedes to the "North Pole" and the Ashamen level the mountains at the east of the Waste to totally alter the climate of the Waste and Shara, would the approximate geographic center of the "new" Randland be located near Rhuidean?

I know...I have this obsession with Rhuidean.  :-[

But, I thought that maybe after all of the ashes were sifted that perhaps that forgotten, overlooked city might be the new "capital" of the new Randland?  Complete with a nice freshwater lake.  ;)

The Blight may not recede that far. I'm expecting the DO to be re-sealed during TG and that means that Shayol Ghul will continue to exist. Hence there will be a certain degree of blighted land in the north. We are not really sure how far north Shayol Ghul actually is.

Furthermore, levelling the mountains may be a momentous task. Geographical alterations on that scale may be considered dangerous and unnecessary. The Aiel had survived in the Waste for that long. If more fountains were made available then surely they can live there again? Massive geographical changes may result in unexpected side-effects.

I do want a more important role for Rhuidean though. The Jenn gave up a lot to make it, knowing that they will die. It deserves respect and importance.

Isn't the Dragon Reborn supposed to break the world again and usher in a new AoL?  If so the geography will be completely rearranged again and the Blight will cease to exist just as it did in the first AoL.  You know, turnings of the wheel and ages repeating themselves and all.

Guest Dreadlord

I dont think Rand is meant to Break it in the same way Lews Therin did; more that he will break the traditions and customs of the lands he touches. The best example is the Aiel, for obvious reasons.

Another good one is Aes Sedai; they had a whole faction dedicated to hunting and gentling men who could channel. And look at how things are now; the Aes Sedai MUST work with the Ashaman, and that includes the Red Ajah, if it survives of course. And dont forget that the fact that the former Amyrlin having been involved in the search for Rand led to the White Tower splitting.

If you drew a north/south longitudinal line exactly half way between Falme at the tip of Toman's Head and whatever the furthest east point is in Shara, then drew an east/west latitudinal parallel exactly half way between Ebou Dar or Mayene and the north pole, where would they intersect?  My guess would be somewhere near Rhuidean, maybe?  ::)  ???

Archived