DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand & Asmodean

If you were Rand what weaves would you make Asmodean teach you?

I understand why Rand wanted to know how to ward your dreams and I would of made that my first weave too.  I would then have Asmodean teach every combat weaves against another channeler like Severing and Shielding and defensive weaves against combat weaves like the coccon barrier.  Then I would use Skimming to take Asmodean and I to the Termool where Asmodean could teach me battle weaves, weaves used during the War of Power, like Blossom of Fire and other weaves of mass destruction.  The Termool is the perfect place to practice weaves of destruction and killing because it is a barren sand desert. Another thing I would have Asmodean teach me is to ignore the elements.

I think Asmodean's shield made him too weak to effectively teach Rand anything that impressive by far, I'm afraid.  Besides, it's hard to show how to sever someone if there isn't anyone there to practice on.  Without a female channeler, too, Rand would be unable to practice defending against unseen weaves - Asmodean wouldn't be able to invert his weaves readily enough with such decreased power, I think.

Guest Dreadlord

And also Asmodean never was never truly loyal to Rand and did his best to hide as much as he could from him. Since Rand didnt know much about the Power Asmodean thought to only teach Rand the bare minimums as long as he could. In Asmodeans thoughts we saw that he still thought of himself as Chosen-even though he tried to make Rand think he was loyal to him.

If i were Rand i would've had Asmo teach me how to invert weaves (which i think he did) and also how to test a man who could potentially channel. In fact I wonder if Rand thought about his amnesty yet. Because without Taim he wouldnt be able to test channelers. It seems he wouldve thought about how he would find men who could channel. It would be hard to get hardcore weaves like blossoms of fire and deathgates from him though. 

The other question is would Rand even know what to ask for. Did he know what the weaves were called? Also, he didn't trust Asmo any farther than he could throw him. He had to depend on Asmo being so scared of Lanfear to reluctantly teach him. I would think Rand asked for the things that he would have prioritized as needing to take on the other forsaken. Alot of that would be knowlege of the other forsaken including weaves.

• 3 weeks later...

The other question is would Rand even know what to ask for. Did he know what the weaves were called?

Nope, and he still doesnt, he just goes for the fantastic 'male' tactic of throwing everything together and hoping for the best. Who knows what the end result will be or what it's called, it works and that's all that matters!!

;D

And also Asmodean never was never truly loyal to Rand and did his best to hide as much as he could from him.

Not true I thin Asmo was loyal to Rand.

Think of the time when Rand held open the gateway made by Avendha ( or however you spell her name) And chased after her. Asmo made it so the gateway was invisible So Maidens of the spear wouldn't see it and go chasing after him Asmo could have changed the weave so it led somewhere else to spite Rand or think of the time after that huge battle against the Shaido when Rand was so weakened he couldn't even touch the one power and Asmo didn't even try anything when he could have killed Rand and regained some respect among the Forsaken

And also Asmodean never was never truly loyal to Rand and did his best to hide as much as he could from him.

Not true I thin Asmo was loyal to Rand.

Think of the time when Rand held open the gateway made by Avendha ( or however you spell her name) And chased after her. Asmo made it so the gateway was invisible So Maidens of the spear wouldn't see it and go chasing after him Asmo could have changed the weave so it led somewhere else to spite Rand or think of the time after that huge battle against the Shaido when Rand was so weakened he couldn't even touch the one power and Asmo didn't even try anything when he could have killed Rand and regained some respect among the Forsaken

Or maybe it was just the fact that he was so cowardly he wouldn't even want to take that chance. No matter how much in his favor it seemed. I thin it's more likely he just wanted to wait to gain Rands trust and see if he could eventually find out where he had hidden the Choedan Kal. Which brings up a question. With the shield Asmodean had on him even though he wasn't completely blocked from the OP would he still have been able to grab the source through a Ter'Angreal like the Choedan Kal?

I agree on him being the coward. Once Asmodean started teaching Rand, he knew he was through with the shadow. He then had to cling to his only savior, which was Rand. If he betrayed Rand, not only was Lanfear going to kill him, but Rand also and the DO for teaching Rand any Sadin. Asmodean, if he lived, would have stayed on Rand's right hand for survival if nothing else.

It was indeed, Asmodean was a musician, who turned to the dark because he couldnt / wasnt allowed to play the music he wanted on the Light side. I think maybe he was a failed musician, and turned to the dark for promise of endless ability to perform.

It's really not that hard to believe. Jealousy can turn almost anyone and if you have done alot of good stuff, but just wasn't good enough to turn the corner to stardom. It could be a devastating blow. So, someone comes along with a chance to live forever (and probably get revenge on those that didn't appreciate your talent), you would see some people go for it. If you remember Tonya Harding and what she did to the other skater before the Olympics a few years ago, there's a perfect example.

I  dont really believe Asmo was as much of a Musician as he claimed to have been . He told Rand that he turned to the dark for eternity to play, Well wouldn't it make sense for him to try and downplay his previous evil deeds as only a away to be able to play music forever?

I do however believe that he DID start to really enjoy music when he was posing as a gleeman and i think he clung to it as somthing calming after all the stress and change he went through

I would just ask good old LTT to teach me :D

See well the thing about that is, Lewis Therrin is mad and  he would only be able to tell rand vaguely how to do it, Rand would only have a idea of how to do it. Rand wouldn't be stupid enough to let LTT take hold of the source

It was written in the BWB that Asmo in fact was a composer of no little skill.  Jealosy of those that received the acclaim was what drove him to seek out the dark.  In fact, in provinces he ruled, he had musicians mutilated so that they couldnt play their favored instrument or any instrument at all.

As to Rand and LTT... well, like in KOD sometimes you just cant control what a madman can take a hold of.  And that is in fact where Rand learned Blossoms of Fire.  LTT.  ;)

Asmo was a boy wonder as a musician. Kinda like Mozart. But when he grew up, he utterly failed at living up to the expectations everyone had on him from his childhood. Kinda like popular history portrays Salieri (In the movie Amadeus, Salieri renounces God for blessing Mozart, almost makes you wonder if RJ borrowed from that movie...)

Archived