DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

That was Smooth [Corin and Christine]

Christine

A relaxed calm lay over Tar Valon under the welcome warmth of a clear sky; the burning orb above bathing the city in light, a symbol for which it stood and served. Even the Tower, where the sun’s rays picked out sparkles in the pure white stone of its existence; ever present and watching seemed a less concern. The streets, as always a mass with people and hawkers, moved in a cyclic fashion like the ebbs and flows of the ocean. The laughter and lighthearted conversation that rose from the mass washed over Corin and he drew it in, warming his heart by it’s presence.

Often he walked these streets of late, but always seeking; listening to words and meanings not given life by the tongue. Daes Dae’mar underlined all he did out on these streets; driven by her purpose and his uncomprehending need to please her. But unlike a traditional day here spent seeking out the quiet words that tried to lay in secrecy; sifting through rumor for information she might use. He pushed the plotting and scheming aside and drank deeply from the simple ignorance so many here lived by.

He had changed so much since the wide eyed country boy had arrived at the docks, dreams of adventure and travel filling his mind. Dreams the yard had slowly beaten and honed from him. Naivety and innocence she has cut from him with a surgeon’s skilled grace; the cut so clean and quick he had not felt the loss until it was too late to retrieve. Bright youthful eyes full of life and emotion now replaced with eyes more often then not void of true emotion; games and cautious observation now his companions. The boy back then would probably never recognize the man he had become under her guidance and tutelage. But as one door closes another always opens. A simple though but one that again came from her teachings; much he owed her in so short a time.

A shiver raced up his spine and shook his shoulders briefly as if to toss off the heavy burden. Today he was interested in life and innocence again, the game was always there and could wait if only a few hours. She would never see it that way, but he was not so long in its hand as Sirayn and refused to let it completely harden his heart beyond reach. A small grin grew; so natural the smile felt for once as it made a home on his face. Two boys darting amongst the travelers on the street caught his eye. Each held a small stick in hand and stopped occasionally to duel one another; carefree laughter rose up from them; surrounded them. Willing the image and sensations to burn into his mind he watched as they raced back and forth across the street toward him. Day dreams of a time at home racing with his brother when innocence was still his own filled his vision in shimmering scenes of forest and fields.

A dull pain in his shin brought vision back to clarity; side stepping quickly to miss yet another wild blow from the stick. The boys darted past engrossed in there duel as he continued to back away, mirth dancing in his eyes at their sight. Bumping into a table brought him around in a start as tinwork began to slip from the table and clatter on the cobble stones. A matter only made worse as his attempt to catch the items ensnared his leg and sent him careening into a women at another table. A series of tinkling crashes announced his presence as the two went sprawling to the ground. Surprised laughter erupted from his throat; vision impaired by dark locks that fluttered across his face.

Still chuckling he pushed back up on his knees and looked down on the unfortunate women he had accosted. Her long dark hair sprayed out over the back of a white shirt as his eyes quickly surveyed her frame; making note of the form fit of the breeches across her backside. Rising to his feet with an approving grin he reached out an offering hand. “Sorry about that, I hope I didn’t hurt you. Let me help ..†the remaining words stuck in his throat, tongue frozen, as his eyes caught the suns glint off a ring. You blind fool, look what trouble you have bough yourself now. Daydreaming was bad enough, but look, an Aes Sedia. How will you explain this one fool the thought taunted him as his eyes briefly widened in shock.

The serpent ring of an Aes Sedai adorned the hand bushing back dark hair that had fallen across her face. Corin dropped into an immediate bow, noting the sword at her hip with slight curiosity. “I apologize Aes Sedai, it was clumsy of me to have knocked you over. I am terribly sorry, are you hurt?†He strained to catch a glimpse of her face from the low position of the bow he still held.

Corin Danveer

White Tower Guard

Promised to Sirayn Sedai

Linten al'Dracain

BT Trainee, Lost mentee of Isha

"Life is wonderful. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that we trouble over." - Isaac Asimov

A smile. Just a smile. That would make her happy. She had had the Dark One’s own luck in having a hell of a day previously, and it was only fitting that her night be the same. She had spent all the previous morning, training with that bloody weapon, only to spend more time on her buttox than she spent time standing.

Of course, Aran would not even give her a small break, however much he knew she had to give lessons that afternoon. He knew she despised teaching novices, and he knew that the girls were not her favorite group… this was extra help for those that struggled. Of course, that meant more of a chance for a mistake.

Well, a mistake did occur… and one of the light-blasted girls burned a rug. And Christine, being a sister, could not show her anger, unless she wanted a crying novice on her hands. Instead, she finished her lesson, then made the girl stay after, and practice the weave… which took all night. It seemed like she got no sleep, and if she had stayed in bed, surely, Sirayn would have dragged her out of it.

So, she rose from her bed, and went for a run. That would help to keep her awake and moving… she would have to go to bed early that night. She ran for what seemed like hours before running into… Aran. Literally. And that fool of a man had the audacity to tell her, an Aes Sedai, that she was no training enough, and made her practice for another hour.

As soon as she had caught him needing a breath, she had rushed off, telling him she had elsewhere to be. She was tired of responsibility, and novices that failed, and annoying teachers. She had been an Aes Sedai for five years, they had no right to make her do as they pleased. 37 years old, and she couldn’t even do as she pleased…

And in town, she landed herself. Stopping at a small restaurant, she ordered a glass of wine and a small loaf of bread with meat and cheese- a good midday meal. There were lovers at a nearby table, and a cobble game going on a few more tables over. There was a group of trainees running around, and then a few boys running about, tossing a stone between them.

There was laughter, and pleasure, and she merely sat there, unable to smile. She saw no happiness and no pleasure in the world around her. Light, she would leave this place now, if only she had the courage to tell Sirayn that she was sick of living under her command.

A man got mixed up in the kids running by, and ran into a nearby table. She left everything else on the table, but picked up her glass of wine, taking a sip as she watched the fool man. She almost started laughing until he knocked into her, her hair falling out of the pins, with him laying overtop of her.

She heard him laugh, and she sighed as she looked at the glass in her hand… it was empty. She would need to ask for more wine. Setting the wine glass down, she smiled at him as he stood. “Sorry about that, I hope I didn’t hurt you. Let me help...â€

She brushed back her hair, and he was staring at her ring. She stood on her own, smiling as he was in a bow, low enough to satisfy the rudest of the Aes Sedai. Not even the Eldest Sitter could fault him.

“I apologize Aes Sedai, it was clumsy of me to have knocked you over. I am terribly sorry, are you hurt?†She looked at him as she stood, whipping off her pants with her hands, and smiled, then started to laugh. He looked up in shock, and she smiled at him.

He rose from his bow, and she just kept laughing, before calling over a servant, asking for two glasses of wine. He stared at her blankly before she caught her breath. Light, she didn’t know what it was, but when a man bowed down to her, it just made her laugh.

Grinning, she offered out her hand as he bowed again, introducing herself and answering his question. “I am perfectly fine, no worries, I needed the laugh. I am Christine Segreto, Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah, and do not worry, I am not one that you should worry about angering.â€

He seemed to loosen up and tighten up at the same time, and she gratefully accepted the glasses of wine brought to her, offering him one. “And who are you that you so eagerly stumbled into me, good sir?†She took a sip of her wine, still offering him the other glass.

Christine Segretto~Sister of the Green Ajah~WS2

Deniera l'Spada~Trainee WS4

Carsane Evera, High Seat of House Sadma

Laughter greeted his apology as he rose to stare blank faced at the women who was now finding breathing difficult with her outburst of mirth. After ordering another drink she offered her hand and Corin dropped once again into a comfortable bow; a light kiss placed on the back of her knuckles as if addressing a high lady. He rose again, puzzlement struggling to find a place on his face. Her Ajah, Green, struck to close to home to allow him to relax completely. Grey penetrating eyes void of emotion; seemingly empty of thought itself, watched in the silent darkness of his mind and kept tension from leaving completely. Not the one I should worry about. I really hope you are not talking about the person that comes to mind. The thought curled around the tension in his shoulders to keep it tight and fresh.

“Good day Christine Sedai, I am Corin Danveer of the Tower Guard,†he offered to her question as he found his voice once more. The glass she held extended to him further added to the confusion swirling in his mind. She was like no other Aes Sedai he had met to date. In fact the more he met the more he realized that none of them seemed to be like any other. As his hand closed around the offering a warning in form of a vision sprung to life in his head. It took only a moment for him to recognise the telltale signs of a Domani. Lavinya’s image came clear in his mind; a large yet intriguing problem he did not wish to repeat.

A smile pulled at the corners of his mouth slightly as he tipped the glass toward her. “Thank-you, it is a wonderful day for a drink. I am truly sorry I ran into you like that. I was so wrapped up in watching the boys and enjoying this wonderful day. I forgot myself and ran into the table.†He chuckled slightly at the sound of his own words, a Tower Guard who could not keep his feet under him. He drew back on the robust wine; oak with a touch of berry met his pallet as it slide down his throat. She had good taste in the vine it seemed as the wine offered a refreshing sensation.

“I hesitate to ask what you meant when you stated you where not the one I had to worry about.†He glanced at her face from over the rim of the glass quickly looking for any indication of whom she had been thinking of. She stood at ease with the situation enjoying her drink as if nothing had happened. Life seem to fill this one and he was not entirely sure he would have guessed her and Aes Sedai had she not been wearing the great serpent ring. A carefree twinkle in Christine’s eyes echoed the laughter that had taken her earlier. He could hear the storekeeper behind him beginning to collect some of the items that had fallen when he had run into the table. Turning, Corin began to help pick up some of the mess he had created with his free hand as he waited on her answer.

OOC: Sorry it's so short will be better next time.

Corin Danveer

White Tower Guard

Promised to Sirayn Sedai

Linten al'Dracain

BT Trainee, Lost mentee of Isha

"Life is wonderful. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that we trouble over." - Isaac Asimov

He kissed the back of her hand softly, and she smiled. He came up, and seemed to have to find his voice. He seemed to thinking on something, as thought what little she had said would bother him. “Good day Christine Sedai, I am Corin Danveer of the Tower Guard.†Oh! A Tower Guard! Lovely… she felt guilty for being with warders, because they were bonded and all, but Tower Guards were fair game… unless they were promised, and then they were challenging game. And she always loved a good game.

He took the glass from her hand slowly, and stared into her eyes. He seemed to be thinking on something, and she smiled at him. Whatever he had had earlier problems with, she hoped that he would forget them as he spent time with her. He returned her smile, which just renewed her own. He turned the glass to her, almost as a thank you, then spoke again. “Thank-you, it is a wonderful day for a drink. I am truly sorry I ran into you like that. I was so wrapped up in watching the boys and enjoying this wonderful day. I forgot myself and ran into the table.â€

He laughed, and she didn’t get the joke. He took a sip of the wine, and smiled. She took a sip of her own. Yes, she was nobility, she did have a preference of fine wines. It was so hard to find a good drink in the tower these days… after all being the low of the low did not have ANY benefits- forget the fact she was an Aes Sedai.

“I hesitate to ask what you meant when you stated you where not the one I had to worry about.†He looked at her, and she just relaxed, taking another sip of her drink. She ordered another glass of wine… the third would be her last, and ordered him another at the same time. He tried to pick up a few of the items that were on the ground, but she waved him off. She thought about the question, as she didn’t know how to answer. She beckoned a boy over, and he came to her quickly. Pressing a coin into his hand, she smiled sweetly. “Do you think you could help pick up some of the mess on the ground. After all, you boys did cause the mess.†He nodded and went over, picking up the table, and helping up the shop keeper. She smiled at the lads that ran by, her happiness renewed. At least not all of life was boring.

She took the last sip from her glass, and then took the new one from the server. She took the other one that was for Corin and set it on the table. He seemed to be staring at her, and she softly spoke. “Not everyone in the tower seems to enjoy life. Too many are busy, worrying about protocol and respect. It is pitiful. I was just commenting that a few of the older Aes Sedai are a little too… stuck up, for my preference.â€

The mess was cleared up now, and she sat back, enjoying her last glass of wine. Light help her, she didn’t want to go back to the tower. Too much work to do. Light, she wanted to get away from the tower. It was too stuffy and pompous. One of these days, she would escape the horrid place. Something still seemed to be troubling him, and she looked around to see if anyone she knew was nearby. Perhaps he was looking for someone, or waiting for someone. Leaning towards him, she softly asked, “What is the matter? You don’t seem at ease… Was it something I said?†Tower Guards were so confusing!

Confusion played it’s game inside him bringing questions and suspicion to the forefront as she waved him away from the mess. She spoke sweetly to the boy and pressed a coin into his hand. Her tone seemed genuine and the smile she offered him reassuring. There was no commandment or authority threaded through her voice. She seemed the take a general interest and enjoyment in the boys as they ran off to continue their play after cleaning up. Very different indeed this one is. He would have expected orders, if subtle in there delivery, from most Aes Sedai. Whether they were directed at him or the boys was anyone’s guess; certain ones he was sure would have addressed both and warmth there would have been little. Again gray measuring eyes floated in his mind as if the very though of reprimand had called them.

It seemed Christine shared his own thoughts; her words of protocol and respect caused the disembodied eyes to almost flair in agreement. He would have found a long list of disassociated tasks in his future had he been so clumsy in front of her. Oh there would not have been much openly or outwardly mentioned. The look would be simple and quick, yet the meanings he had learned to read into them spoke volumes. He had learned over their time together some of her thought patterns in certain situations and how she would normally react. That thought brought a slight startle to his mind at the realization. He was truly beginning to understand some of Sirayn’s patterns, more then he expected but only the very tip of the iceberg. Laughter at the comparison tried to bubble up inside but he pushed it back.

Her soft voice, almost musical in a way snapped him back to reality as he realized he still held a slightly guarded look on his face. Barely holding the blush from warming his cheeks he replaced the empty glass in his hand with the new one on the table. He had not noticed its arrival or the completion of his first. He took a moment to swirl the vineyards work in the glass; allow it to radiate out its prized bouquet of fragrance and promised flavour before drawing in a mouthful. The rawness of it’s mix burst on his tongue bold and alive; swallowing carried the boldness off replaced with a resonating memory of apple spice that soon blended away to the familiar oak hinting. She did have rather impeccable taste in wine and he made a mental note of the Inn’s name so he could visit it again.

Lowering the glass he met her eyes once more, “Again I apologise Christine Sedai, it was nothing you said. I was momentarily lost to my thoughts.†A smile fit it’s self warmly on his face, “sometimes the duty of the Tower stretches out further then we think. At times it would be nice to slip from it’s shadow for a spell and remember the life we had.†His voice held remembrance in the last words that flowed forth; eyes darting back to the jovial youth as they made there way up the street again. It was a dangerous statement to say to most, yet this one was so different. The standard rules and guidings he had come to expect of Aes Sedai seemed lost to her as though not fitting of her character. Or perhaps she was very good at Daes Dae’mar, his eyes once more in study of her face, but so young to be so well masked. Bloody ashes, I see the game everywhere now. Once I would have taken a pretty smile for a pretty smile. Now I see questions and daggers where none probably exist …. Or do they?

Bitterness seeded it’s self deep in his stomach and tried to take root. Possibilities abounded before him as he observed the smooth feminine features of Christine. She was a Green and that held many idea’s in it’s own, her face marked her still young and therefore could not be of the Green and the shawl for long. That also brought further possibilities; less set in the staunch ways of the Tower, it’s grip not as ingrained and tight as the elder sisters. Perhaps if one treaded lightly, steered innocent conversation toward the right avenues. There was always a chance but would the cost be more then he could pay; Sirayn would probably love to see his hide stripped; dismissed as he seemed to be in her sight of late. If he could find an in road in an unwary Green, words and meetings innocently seeming, might come to his ear.

It was a conscious effort to keep the smile warm on his face for Christine as a mischievous plotting grin filled his inner thoughts. Perhaps she was being nothing more then openly relaxed, only time might tell for sure. “You have a marvellous choice in vintage Christine Sedai. I did not know that so simple a tavern would carry so fine a bouquet.†He Leaned back casually glancing toward the sky, “a beautiful day for a walk. Always a treat to be out of the Tower if not far from it’s walls.†Swirled the glass again Corin drew back another sweet mouthful, “have you always had such commendable knowledge in the vineyards’ offerings?â€

Corin Danveer

Tower Guard

• 2 weeks later...

He looked at her, over the new glass in his hand, and their eyes bet. They held for a moment, until he finally spoke. “Again I apologize Christine Sedai, it was nothing you said. I was momentarily lost to my thoughts.†The man seemed to apologize quite a lot. More than likely, her had heard of mean and cruel old bags that were stiff on protocol… a lot like the idiots she was avoiding that day. She saw a smile on his face, and it seemed to fit a lot better than his worried look. “sometimes the duty of the Tower stretches out further then we think. At times it would be nice to slip from it’s shadow for a spell and remember the life we had.â€

Ah… the life she had. As much as she hated the tower, it was better to be here, under the control of her superiors, that dead, under the control of her parents and the Dark Ones that served them. She wanted to shudder at the idea, but kept her smile. This one had a fierce tongue, speaking his mind. It was inappropriate to speak of such things as avoiding the tower, and thinking of being someone other than their position at present. She knew, though, that perhaps a life away from the tower, while not as exciting, would at least be one that could be held as your own, instead of in the service of others.

She smiled at him, sitting back in her chair. Her eyes followed the boys that ran in the street, and she wished that she had been a happy child. Ah, to go back and have her childhood. It had all been stolen from her- but it did make her the woman she was that day, and she couldn’t imagine herself any other way. He studied her, with the smile remaining, and she was puzzled. What was this man doing now? The idea that he had had a bad experience with another Aes Sedai entered her mind once again, and she noted to learn more about this strange man she was sharing a drink with.

“You have a marvelous choice in vintage Christine Sedai. I did not know that so simple a tavern would carry so fine a bouquet.†Well, she had been nobility at one time- of course she knew good wine. He leaned back, as though he was trying to relax, but he made a fool job of it. Men didn’t know how to relax. “a beautiful day for a walk. Always a treat to be out of the Tower if not far from it’s walls.†She was about to ask him to join her for a walk around the city when he spoke again about the wine. What was it with him and this wine? She had had better. “Have you always had such commendable knowledge in the vineyards’ offerings?â€

She smiled at him, and remembered back to her studies. This simple Tower Guard appeared to be playing Daes Dae’mar with her. He would of course, fail at it, for she was an Aes Sedai, and had been trained to be perfect in her studies, but still, she would avoid it at all cost. She found it to get in the bother of… enjoying one self. Taking a last sip of her drink, she set down the glass. “Well, Master Corin, before tower life, I was privileged to experience the life of a noble, so wines are simply something I was demanded to know. But the question is, sir, why would a Tower Guard know something of good wine?â€

She didn’t let him answer the question as she rose from her seat, and he struggled to leave his relaxed position to jump up. Of course the man would have proper manners! It was a good thing too, she felt a little tired, and having some wine wasn’t always smart. She had a feeling that falling over was very possible, and it was always a good idea, when falling over, to have a strong man near by.

He set down his glass as he took the last sip, and she gave him a quick side smile. He seemed to watch her, study her almost, and she waited a moment before speaking. “Master Corin, perhaps you would like to take a walk with me on this fine day.†She knew of a vinery outside of the town that perhaps he would go to with her, but that was a long walk- it was better to ride. But still, a nice walk would be enjoyable. Perhaps he would at least walk with her to the tower. Light, it was only midday, and she was feeling just a little… tipsy.

• 3 weeks later...

The women before him was a puzzle of immeasurable complexity, though it seemed that the majority of that complexity was brought on by Corin’s own mistrust of her possible motives. Suspicion, caution, and wariness had become close friends to him under the tutelage of one of her order. Those close companions sought purpose in other’s words and actions that surely must hide some other, darker meaning to them. Her quick rise caught him momentarily off guard as he hastened from his dwelling thoughts to stand with her in less then a swordsman’s fluid grace.

Something had changed in her though, her stance not one of solid footing and prepared grace. He was not entirely sure but the look that swept her eyes and the slight leaning lent to the idea of one who had consumed more then a clear mind would lend itself to. What puzzle does this Aes Sedai play at? More questions heaped further suspicion on his mind. But her offer to continue their chat as they moved along the streets in her somewhat unbalanced state pulled at the oath of duty he had taken. More over he found a general interest in finding out more about this rather unique sister he had encountered today.

“I would indeed enjoy the opportunity to talk further with you.†He swept an arm toward the road and moved in beside her as she began to sweep past. For a moment mirth seemed to blaze in her eyes at his acceptance. The streets remained a bustle of activity, but he found himself in that more familiar bubble of space that lent itself around an Aes Sedai when they moved; even one slightly shaky as Christine. A path that seemed to be originally heading toward the safe familiarity of the Tower grounds suddenly changed as she turned down another side street. She almost seemed to have a destination in mind that did not include the tower or it’s grounds. “It is a lovely day for a walk, though myself, I prefer the open spaces to the confines of a city. Have you traveled the area around Tar Valon much? There are some remarkably tranquil places hidden amongst the surrounding forests.†A couple of times the change in the terrain seemed to cause her a slight stumble to which hands were ready to catch her before she could fall but she righted herself each time on her own. It had been drilled into him enough of late that one did not offer physical assistance to an Aes Sedai unless she requested it first. But then, he had not met another sister like her; she seemed more open and less absorbed in the ways of most.

Corin Danveer

Tower Guard