DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is the most powerful dragon/fellbeast/magiccreature

Yeah, but since Ungoliant nearly killed Morgoth himself, and it took an army of balrogs to drive her off of him......'course, not everyone will have read the Silmarillion. And I had to delete Torak from the poll because I had too many options. A deity sorta qualifies as a giant.....

Had to go with Ungoliant She was big nasty than you average garden spider :shock:

Fingolfin I think you mean Glaurung as the father of the dragons though son't know what he did not much is saifd about him but I think he was supposed to be wingless!

Fingolfin I think you mean Glaurung as the father of the dragons though son't know what he did not much is saifd about him but I think he was supposed to be wingless!

Glaurung was the father of all dragons, wasn't he, but Ancalagon the Black was the first winged dragon and the greatest dragon, because flying adds an extra dimension

btw, what was Ungoliant spiritually? Maiar at least I would presume, in order to have the power almost to overwhelm Morgoth, who as we know was the strongest of the Valar, "coeval" with Manwe

djp59

Yes he was the first winged dragon and that would make a lot of difference...i think he was Morgoth's greatest.

Ungoliant....I'm not sure she was a Maiar I will have to check back but I don't think she was. She would have been attached to one of the Valar who had something to bring to the making the world and I can't see what she would have bought....unless she was one Morgoth's maiar.

I think, just like the origins of the dragons, Ungoliants origins are left to the imagination. She was the greatest of the Fell Beasts, and may or may not have had anything to do with renegade Maiar. Quite probably did, but the Professor left her to the imagination, for the most part.

I would have to say that the most powerful would be Kwll, or Rynn, not sure which. Citing that most of you probably have no idea who they are (Chronicles of Corum), i'll explain.

Kwll and Rynn (brothers) are more or less amoral. The only people they will keep oaths to are each other. They are, well, the most powerful beings in the Multiverse. The only ones who can defy the Cosmic Balance.

I'll give you a quote. (spoilers, obviously)

"Corum heard Mabelode cry, 'Summon all my strength! Summon all the creatures of all the planes who are pledged to me. Ready yourselves, my Dukes of Hell! Chaos must be defended!'

Jhary shouted back to him, 'Do you fear one being, King of the Swords? Just one?'

Mabelode's golden sword flickered in his hand. His back seemed bowed, his voice was low. 'I fear Kwll,' he said."

(Mabelode is the King of the Swords, the most powerful of the Sword Rulers, and the most powerful God of Chaos)

Perhaps removing Torak was not the greatest choice, but including deities in this just seemed to be a good way to provoke an argument.....somehow, it felt like I was blowing the poll out of perspective if I kept him in the list.....and I had to eliminate about three entries to get the poll to post.....

I am surprised that no one has voted for Ancalagon the Black. He was 'the mightiest of the winged dragons.' Of course, Pr. Tolkien only mentions him twice: in the Silmarillion when he is defeated by Earendil, Aragorn's longtime forefather(and Elrond's, for that matter), and once in the Fellowship of the Ring. By all reports, Ancalagon could eat Smaug for breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...

Torak is not a beastie! He does not belong on a list of powerful beasties! I have to wonder what Aragog and Shelob are doing on that list since Ungoliant clearly surpasses them in the spider category. I'm voting for the Mother of Spiders :D

Archived