DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who are the most powerful characters in fantasy?

Incedentally, I went with Garion. WIth his own power, that Belgarath admits is greater than his own in some ways as well as the Orb of Aldur and the power of the "Voice" of the prophecy while he still has it, I was suprised he had any problems at all. I mean through the course of the first series he resurects two beings (The Horse and then Durnik, all be it with a lot of help on the second one), faces down two gods (Issa and Mara) and kills another. That's a pretty impressive track record.

I have to go with other here because I reckon the all time most powerful sorcerer I've come across is Aeron, Queen of Kelts in Patricia Keneally Morrison's The Keltiad. I won't be surprised if no-one's read it, I've only met one other person who has lol. Aeron destroys a whole planet for heaven's sake, I've never known anyone else do that (not to mention making the sun dance just cos she felt happy)!!

I'm quite attached to Pug as well I have to say.

Hero's.... one of the greatest is Jon Shannow in the truest sense of the word.

I voted for Belgarath. If you read Belgarath the Sorcerer you get a lot of inside information on him. If you look at how everyone grovels at his feet I'd say he not only is powerful but is respected like a god almost. Though now that I think about it I would've gone with Nathaniel from the Bartimaeus (sp?) Trilogy.

Good point, Andrew B. Belgarion may be more powerful(definitely is with the Orb in his hand) but he does not have the eons of experience of either his grandfather(especially not his grandfather) or his aunt. Which is why I'd like Mr. & Mrs. Eddings to write a story with Garion with Belgarath is absent.

colbey castalinson is the greatest

immortal, cream of barbarian race dedicated to battle, magic sword, demi god, generally kick ass when ever he's in town or ragnarok. i'll forgive all ya this once for not havin read the last renshai triogly, but just this once. far outstrips all the rest in power, style and sheer bad ass atittude. possible his only flaw is the woman who birthed him was called ranilda battlemad

I'm voting for 'Other.' Specifically, Brand, prince of Amber.

(Oh, and Loki - I like Colby, but he's more a nominal wizard than actual. It's not so much that he had phenominal cosmic powers, but that in a world where almost no one had _any_ powers at all, he was able to use what he had/gained in a very effective fashion.)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rie rahien

sauron is or was the most poverfull one one of the maiars or he was his magic was strong when he defeated elven king in songs of power forging of the rings there should be one of the great power to melt his malice evil and his will in to a piece of gold and nobody mentoned feanor it takes more than craft to create silmarils gandalf was a wizard but he wasnt the maiar and he newer showed any great powers just tricks with fire but he showed great strength in meeting with balrog.but the gratest was thomas covenant the unbeliver he showed power ,courage and he died in deense of the world that wasnt his his journey lasted years but he knew that he would die but he went forward any way.

The Istari were Maiar. And Olorin(Gandalf) was called the wisest of them. As for not showing great power, the Istari were forbidden to match Sauron power for power.

Thomas Covenant?I don't really think of him as a magic user. From what I read, he didn't really do anything with magic. He just sparked random releases of supernatural powers. He was more of a catalyst.

The most powerful ive encountered in fantasy would have to be Jaenelle from the Dark Jewels trilogy... she was kind of... too powerful. It made the series a bit absurd.

Pug, Macros and the like from Riftwar. Sparhawk as Anakha. Rand with the choedan kal. Dumbledore... coz... ya know.

I dont think that Garion was ever really that powerful in comparison to the other series'. Gandalf either. In both worlds the magic is weaker then in some of the newer fantasy series'.

I don't know most of those characters...With or without the Orb, Garion is pretty powerful. Not overly experienced, but things that most people with Talent, as it is called, wouldn't attempt half the stuff he can do without thinking.

Dumbledore! I definitely wish I could modify the poll! Though I'd not call him too powerful.

Nice thjat someone finally voted for Elminster...

I don't even know who Elminster is.

I don't know most of those characters...With or without the Orb, Garion is pretty powerful. Not overly experienced, but things that most people with Talent, as it is called, wouldn't attempt half the stuff he can do without thinking.

Thats in comparison to the other people in his series. Now maybe the Voice of the Prophecy could be concidered powerful from the Belgariad... but the rest in comparison to some of the other series'.

Luckers, I'm somewhat surprised that you haven't heard of Elminster. He's a character from Forgotten Realms, one of the first created by Ed Greenwood. He's called called the Old Mage of Shadowdale and is well nigh immortal(approx. 1160 years old). His immortality and a good bit of his power comes from being one of Chosen of Mystra, the Goddess of Magic, along with Khelben (Blackstaff) Arunson of Waterdeep and the Seven Sisters. At some time in the past each of the Chosen were invested with a portion of Mystra's divine power.

During his long life he been both a theif, a warrior and a priestess (yes the feminine title is intentional) but now is considered perhaps the pre-eminent magic user in all of the FR (though you'll get some debate on that).

The one thing that most people complain about with Elminster is that he's basically an exercise in munchkinism and Greenwood tends to use him as a bail out. A character gets into a bad situation and all of a sudden the Old Mage shows up, waves his hand and everything is cool again...

Guest rie rahien

tomas covenant was more of a hero but magic is no other than the strength of your belives your spirit and spiritual strength there for thomas covenant deserves to be on that list

• 3 weeks later...

i chose mary poppins as she did the most with the least. unlike the others that wreak havoc and death she brings a family closer together with mere mind games. there was no bloodshed and i saw no reason for weaponry in the slightest. the only real weapon was pitting the emotions of the other characters against each other until they bent to accomodate each other and then she was off. i want to know how burt knew her previously.

a hopeless romantic, i... :D

Archived