DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Dragonmount Record

Dragon21

that's strange...

why's dm more important now than when jordan died?

Oh, I know, the forums were dead back then.

Anyway, according to my Alexa plug-in, we're only the 131,850th site on the internet for the moment.

A lot of it may have to do with the growing word of mouth that has generated.  Honestly, I didn't start Eye of the World until last year and I have recommended the series to at least 10 friends and family members. 

Jordan is clearly one of the best, if not the best, fantasy writer of the last century.  Arguably, from a prose standpoint, one of the bests in all genres.  I think as the books begin to appeal to a more mainstream audience looking for works besides LOTR, Narnia, and Potter, we should see more WoT fans. 

Besides, Dragonmount is the best WOT site out there.  Hands down.  It's made of win.

Wow. That IS a big number.  I didn't expect the memorial to generate so much traffic for us.

But yes, as we get closer and closer to the publication of the last book, you're going to see traffic around here skyrocket. It'll be crazy around here by this time next year.

Being a New Member (last week) and relatively new to the WoT series, I have no basis for making this statement, but would you say that there have been a lot more new accounts created lately? 

Those who know me in the Critique's circle certainly rarely see a compliment, let alone praise or pandering; yet I truly believe that RJ is one of the greatest writers of our time in any genre, let alone fantasy.  His stories are vastly creative, full of imagery, and colorful characters; yet the writing is very accessible to even the casual reader. 

What I think is happening, using myself as an example, is that more casual readers are becoming fans and they get to about the fifth or tenth book and want more.  Like you said, the closer we get to AMOL, the crazier it will become.  May want to look at upgrading ye ol' server. 

If I were an English Lit professor, I would teach Jordan.  Great stuff. 

I honestly don't pay attention to numbers of new accounts made each month. I wonder if the forum software tracks that?

But I do notice general trends. We had more accounts made right after Jordan's death, as well as quite a few retired members returning. That tapered off, but I do expect it will be increasing again. 2009 will be a big year for us.

I don't think there will be such a drop off after the main sequence books are written. Look at LotR, there are sites for them still going strong and that is 50 years after the last of their books were written.

I have no doubt that Jordan has left us will a living breathing world that will far outlive all of us. This means that there will always be a need for sites like Dragonmount.

• 4 weeks later...
You can't stop us! We keep growing!  We're multiplying like Scientologists!

Yes, but fortunately Jordan wasn't a perv who lived on a boat with children like L. Ron. Anyone watch South Park?  ;)

P.S.- Colbert RULES!! Have you read his book? Funny stuff.

Archived