DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Xbox 360 help.

Blig Blog

Can any of you guys give me some advice on the fans that are suppose to cool down the 360. I just got the Pelican cooler and I have heard that it will actually make the 360 hotter!

I want to hear what you guys have to say on it because I don't want my 360 to overheat.  :-\

I have never dealt with cooling fans myself... but here are a few links I found...

http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=914

I read the nyko intercooler was loud, but works well.  But it people did say it has a defect which causes it to short circuit and fuse itself to the 360.

Newer 360 models are suppose to have better cooling systems.

One guy says:

Don't buy any external cooling solutions. They are just snake-oil. There is no way to improve the internal airflow of the Xbox 360 with an external solution.

To keep your Xbox 360 cool, just set it on a hard surface (i.e. not a rug or thick table cloth for example), and don't put it in a closed shelf or against a compartment thats put at the wall.

The Xbox blows out warm air in the back. If there is no way for the air to escape in this shelf space, then the warm air needs to go to the front, where it's sucked in by the Xbox again.

So keep it atop a cupboard or shelf with enough breathing room, and you won't have problems.

I agree with this.  My first two 360's I kept enclosed in a entertainment center.  The one I have had for a while now I have kept in the open.

The fans work at a different speed than the Xbox interal fans which causes the Xbox's fans to either over or under spin depending on which one you get.  This causes the Xbox's fan motors to burn out, and leaves you with just your intercooler cooling.

Really?

And if any of you have done this

or know anything about it then I would like to hear about it.

My 360 gave me the Red Rings 2 times and then I fixed it with the towel trick. It gave it to me a third time and I had to do this. It has worked fine since then. I don't know how long it will last though...

I have yet to purchase a next gen system....but this red ring issue has really turned me off to Xbox.

I can see why this would work....it essentially "gaps" the board from the casing allowing for air flow on both sides of the board. 

I would not suggest doing this unless your Xbox is beyond warranty, as any tampering would of course "Void" the warranty. 

I think I will wait until Microsoft fixes the problem before I look at buying one. 

Most of the polls I've seen show Zephyr Xbox users at 50% RRoD experience, the new Falcon units are around 2.6% which is a closer to and just par with industry average.  The easiest way to tell is if it is a premium or arcade with an HDMI port.  The Elites you will have to check lot #'s or mfg dates.

• Community Administrator

I believe industry standard failure rate for electronic devices is 5%.

Anything under about 3% or so, is just good luck.

(Btw, PS3's are/were considered about less then 1% failure rate, but you could argue the sample size isn't big enough (not that it matters when it conserns failure rates)) but there have been an influx in 'failure rate' complaints specially with the 40GB, but about the time the 1% failure rates were announced, to the influx the # of ps3s in peoples homes have basically trippled, making that influx still about 1%.)

Btw, which system had the highest failure rate, ps2 or 360? ;)

*btw, I have an orginal release PS2, and it still works.*

My 360 died again.  :'(

But now it is not doing the Three Red Rings!

Every now and then it will give me Two Red Rings on the left side of where the lights are at, most of the time though it will give me one blinking Red Ring in the lower right.

Can anyone tell me what these rings mean?

Archived