DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

You Dont Need a Security Blanket (attn: twins)

Christine

Deneira waited in the yard, knowing her mentee would be their soon. What was that boy's name again? Danian? Well, Corin may have hope in the two boy's training, but Deneira was certain it was a lost cause. The only reason Orion was still any good at his job was he could do the sword forms before he was blind. But these two were just a joke. One was blind and couldnt wield a weapon, while the other is deformed. What had happened to his arm, anyways? Honestly, why did the creator have to plague HER? And why couldnt he have been left handed, instead of right, the one which was injured? This meant alot of training, and alot of working. She would not treat this boy extra special, no matter what anyone said. He said he wanted to be a Tower Guard, well then he would be one, but no one would make her treat him like he was special. The very idea made her furious. Yes, so he was crippled, he should have thought about that before he came to the Yard. He would have to work just as hard as everyone else- no, he would have to work harder, to prove himself. She would make him work harder, and train harder, because he would have to work to be a Tower Guard while under her watch.

Inevitably, Deneira didnt even realise the hatred that she carried towards her new mentee. She didnt know where it came from, but she didnt really care. In the end, she was treating him differently, just because she would be harder on him. But he should have known better. She would make him work for it, or he didnt belong there. Forget the people that barely scraped through, or the sad warriors that stood on guard. No, this one, just because he was crippled, had to work harder. And he would know it, too. She would push him till he broke, and then kept pushing him. Anger almost spewed out of her, and she had hardly even spoken to him.

Well, here he was. She could see the boy stumbling up. He wore some training outfit she was certain was worth more than anything she owened, and she got her first good look at him. He was only an inch or two taller, but he was much better built. Of course he would be, she was a woman, but still. He had really broad shoulders, and dark, piercing eyes. Not like his brother's, who were sightless, but these just had a look about them, as thought he was afraid of something... or maybe he was looking for something. And the black hair was a bit of a mess, but that was all men. Except for Shawn, he kept his hair short for some reason... one day, she would convince him to grow it out... but other than him, all men had messy hair.

He came up to him and bowed, and she had her hand on her hip, her face calm and smooth. She had a sort of saucy stance, as though she knew she was better than him, which of course, she had to be, because it wouldnt be right if she wasnt. Her foot tapped, and she crossed her arms across her chest as he rose. Light, she had to know about that arm. "So, welcome to the Warders Yard. Just incase you dont remember, my name is Deneira. So, tell me, what weapons do you use, and do we need to go get some more from the armory?" Her eye brows raised... honestly, why was he even here. He should have already realised he would never equal up to what was expected of him in the yard...

Danian left before getting a drink because he had training with his mentor. Danian did not like the woman, it might be because she seemed to hate him, yes that might be it. Danian could take that, he did not mind insults to himself, but the way she looked at Dorian was what really set him ablaze.

He saw the mixture of pitty, disbaleif and anger in her eyes when she saw him and noticed his disablity. Danian was quivering with rage when he saw his mentor, and quickly stopped, he did not want to provoke the... woman... any more than he already had.

Danian stopped in front of her and bowed deep and respectfully. "So, welcome to the Warders Yard. Just incase you dont remember, my name is Deneira. So, tell me, what weapons do you use, and do we need to go get some more from the armory?"

Although it was well disguised, Danian could tell that she hated him intencly. She hated him just because he had a disability. Because she hated him, he hated her right back, with a fury that was forigen and unknown to Danian's mind.

Controling his features as best as he could, Danian looked down slightly at Deneira's face. She was truely beautiful, so beautiful it was breathtaking. He might have staired open-mouthed once, but now all he felt towards her was furry. It was not that he was not impressed by her beauty, but he could not feel much attraction for his hate was too consuming.

Danian said, in a calm voice, "I use only the sword so far, and no, I brought my sword with me, ma'am." Danian spoke these words as respectfully as he could muster, but he knew that they would just make her angrier. Danian tilted his chin so that his eyes were staring strait into hers, and although he was trying to look respectful, Danian could not help but have some defiance slip into them.

He stared back at her, straight in the eyes, and she returned the stare. What, did he hate her now? Honestly, he was the mentee, and he would have to deal with that. When, no IF he became a Tower Guard, then he could teach, and be the leader. Until then, he was hers to command, and he would have to deal. His face was calm as he looked at her, but his body was tense, and his eyes were hard. She could tell, the more she returned the stare. He hated her. Well, she hated him. Why her, of all people? She should just dump him onto Corin to deal with… this was stupid. "I use only the sword so far, and no, I brought my sword with me, ma'am." His eyes stared straight into hers, and she stared back. She would win this contest, no matter how hard he tried. She was the Tower Guard, and he was the Trainee. He would have to deal with that.

Raising her eyebrows, she walked around him, her eyes still staring at his until he bowed his head slightly. She slowly walked around him, hands on her hips, and as she stared at his arm, she had to wince. She could still remember the last time that she had seen scarring so bad… what had happened to Leawen, anyways? He had taken everything from her, she had been meaning to repay the favor. Probably bonded to that idiot Aes Sedai that had shown up. Everything had been lost that night. Her innocence, her love, her respect for herself… which made her turn to men to fill her. But, perhaps she would have never found Shawn. He loved her as she was, and while they were not always on the best of terms, he was a lot better than that idiot.

She was brought back to the world around her as she stopped in front of him, her eyes meeting his. “You look like you could be strong, perhaps we will try a Battle Axe or a Great Sword… but we shall see how you- handle- the sword that you have with you. Let me see it, please.†He hesitated, but slowly, he drew it from his hip. He held it in both hands out to her, and she slowly reached out her hand, touching the handle, then the blade. A katana… light, she would have suggested a short broadsword, or maybe a bastard sword… why something that requires speed and accuracy when he was so… unable to use it? She wondered what his brother used- she would ask Corin later.

Placing her hand back on the hilt, she wrapped her fingers around it and raised it. Her half tried to stop her, his face shocked, and she left his weapon just a few inches over his hands. What was wrong with him, why was he so edgy? What, was he worried about a woman with a blade? Light, she could kill him in one blow with her own weapon, so why would she need his too? She stared into his eyes, and almost saw fear, or maybe it was disbelief. “Don’t tell me you are afraid of a woman with a weapon!†He stared at her, and she set the sword back in his hands. Going to her belt, she drew her scimitar, and carefully held the blade, offering the hilt to him. “There, you take my blade, ill take yours!†He slowly took it from her, and let her have his katana.

She wrapped her hand around it and brought it up with both hands, looking at the connection between the hilt and the blade itself. It was longer than her own weapon, but slightly lighter, and a bit skinnier, but still razor sharp. If he planned on staying with this weapon, his path would be speed, and it would be a difficult one at that. She ran her hand against the flat of the blade upwards, and turned it over, inspecting the blade. It’s condition was flawless, and was a good make. She was certain that it had been a master blacksmith that had made it. She looked for a seal on it, but decided to stop, when out of the corner of her eye, she saw him swinging around her own blade. Light, he was going to hurt himself if he kept that up. “It’s a good blade, I approve.†She handed it back to him, and she received her own back. Smart thinking on his part. She easily twisted her wrist, and glided the blade back where it belonged.

Sitting on the ground, she relaxed, leaning against the tree that was there. Her hair, she pulled from the holder, and let the braid fall apart as she undid it, the waves falling out. His eyes watched hers, and she watched him back. For a moment, she could see Leawen’s hungry eyes, and his grin, and that scar down his face. Shaking her head, she told herself again that Leawen was gone, and this was her mentee. Perhaps that was why she despised him so… but she didn’t want to think about it. Her hand patted the ground beside her, and she asked him to sit down. “Come on, you can tell me about your past weaponry, and I can relax. Hurry up, boy.â€

Sunlight and shadow moved in a wavy dance across his face to winds gentle rhythm creating varying tones of brightness and dimness against his closed eyelids. Soon he would face the new challenge the Mistress of Trainees had assigned him. A challenge he had spent much of his time since their first meeting in meditation working at the puzzle on how to train the boy. Dorian was like any other trainee new to the yard; bold and bravery wrapped around the nervousness and apprehension in an attempt to keep it concealed. He had tried to look the part he believed all guards and warders were, but it only added to the newness of the boy. Thoughts and pictures faded in myriad succession as he remembered times from his beginnings here when he wore newness like a second skin and his eyes wide in amazement.

But that was the problem that had him here so long before the arrival of his charge. Dorian had a unique handicap he was not sure how he was going to work around. Where many of the boys he seen in the yard had sharp clear eyes; windows that displayed so much of the turmoil and passion they felt. Dorian’s eyes where cloudy; dark windows offering little in the way of a glimpse into the owners purpose and thoughts. How was he to teach a boy who would never see the movements he needed to learn, never follow the footwork basic to the dance of edges.

The image of a proud man standing tall and wrapped in the Red cloak of the guard came to being in the middle of his mind. Yes I know, Orion is a solid and strong guard. Grace and skill work in harmony with him, but he had vision while he was still training; time to perfect and lay a solid foundation before … A small shudder raced Corin’s spine as the picture in his mind completed the thought. Perhaps it was time he learnt from his old friend something of the ways that had become an extension to his vision forever darkened.

The soft sound of footsteps, soft leather boots in the green flexible grass filtered from his ears into the void in which he meditated. Lonrick’s level of skill in the void was still a mark he sought to match but it was not his to grasp yet. Turning his head he greeted the boy with genuine warmth in his voice. “Good day Dorian welcome to the first day on the journey to your new life.†His left arm swung out and motioned to the ground next to him. “Come sit and let us discus what you know of the dance and it’s companions.†The constant din of wood meeting wood, steel meeting steel, and boys at work improving their bodies swirled around them on the edge of the open yard. Lightless eyes; obscured and cloudy floated across the void and he cursed himself silently; already he had forgotten the boy’s weakness. How was he going to train this lad?

Turning his head he opened his eyes slowly taking in the boys frame bathed in the light of the sun. “To your left 10 paces is a tree, I sit below it’s canopy. Please join me.†Ginea had given strict orders not to coddle the boy, but how did she expect Corin to teach him with out it. He was blind; the advantage of sight was as big as the sun it’s self when it came to learning the forms and the intricacies of the dance. He released the breath he had been unconsciously holding at a slow steady rate, trying to release the negative thoughts with it. He was charged with teaching the boy, as long as the boy was here and willing he would have to find a way.

OOC: Faile, we will work out of this thread as well but we are in a different part of the yard for now. ;)

Corin Danveer

Tower Guard

Seeking a balance unlearned.

Guest Faile1987

Dorian woke to a cacophony of different noises and smells and it took him a little while to adjust his awareness to his new environment. His senses still a little clouded by sleep, though he had been too existed and too busy pondering about his new life in the White Tower now than to have actually been able to sleep very much at all, he got up and after a while of searching finally got dressed. Tracing his surroundings by feel, sound and smell, it wasn´t easy for him to get along in new places.

But after a while and with a little help from Danian, Dorian managed to find his way around the small room they were sharing, saving everything he felt, heard or smelled in his mind. After all he had already gotten an impression of the vast extent of the White Tower and the Warders Yard the day before when they arrived. He knew that it wouldn´t be easy to find his way to where he was supposed to be going, but he also knew he could rely on his sharp memory and after a while he would manage.

Buckling on his katana, the perfect twin of the one Danian was using, Dorian remembered the day they had been given to them by their father. That day after they had barely survived the first attempt on their lives only because they could rely on each other. That day their father had told them that one day they would have to part from each other, but until then they would stick together being as close as brothers could be. The twin katanas he had produced then were a symbol for the bond between them he had said. Both of their weapons were exactly identical, like him and Danian were, twin katanas for twin brothers and they had sworn never to part from those weapons which since then had helped them to stay alive countless times, though it still seemed a mavel how well they got along, Dorian being blind and Danian unable to use his right arm in any way apt to fighting for his life. As always they had made the best out of matters at hand though and they were determined to do that as well now, whatever they might have to face.

Walking through the long corridors of the building in which their room was situated, Dorian walked slowly alongside his brother, making sure that he took in every detail he noticed about his surroundings, saving as many impressions as possible since he knew they could be essential if he was to find his way around here again later.

When the two of them walked outside, Dorian felt the morning sun already shining down, prickling on his skin and a light breeze muzzling his hair. Feeling grass under his feet, Danian told him where his mentor was already waiting for him and clapped him on the back in farewell. Dorian smiled faintly as he went away from his brother, hoping that both of them would live up to what their mentors expected of them. Recalling how Danian´s mentor, Deneira he recalled her name was, had reacted on first meeting them though, Dorian clenched his teeth knowing that his brother would likely have a hard time with that woman who clearly seemed to despise them for their disabilities.

Drawing himself upright though, Dorian walked on, slowly, careful not to hit any obstacle that could easily cross his path. No need to point out his disability in shining letters to everyone around.

“Good day Dorian welcome to the first day on the journey to your new life.â€, his mentor - Corin, Dorian remembered - greeted him rather joyfully. After all he didn´t seem to share Deneira´s resentments against them which made Dorian very happy for once, but still he hoped Danian would get along with that woman somehow. Right now he was smiling faintly, turning to where he had heard the voice of his mentor coming from. Still there was silence now leaving Dorian a little confused about what he was expected to do right now. How was this going to turn out if he didn´t know what his mentor wanted him to do even now? Maybe Dorian´s guess about Corin´s attitude towards his blindness had been wrong after all...

“Come sit and let us discus what you know of the dance and it’s companions.†Another pause. Beginning to feel more than just stupid and uncomfortable, more than merely not fitting in, Dorian briefly considered whether he should just sit down right where he was, but sensing that his mentor was still a little away from him, to his left, he thought, Dorian blinked irritably, still remaining where he was. Light, this would be harder than he thought. How could he have expected anyone wanting or knowing how to train him anything without having him see what was shown to him. A painful stab in his memories told Dorian that not everyone was capable of training them like Carl had done in Altara. The Warders were brought up differently and either he´d learn to fit in or he would be cast out no matter what.

“To your left 10 paces is a tree, I sit below it’s canopy. Please join me.â€Casting a thankful smile in Corin´s direction, Dorian went where he was directed and carefully sat down, finding everything as Corin had described it to him. "I´m sorry", he muttered a little embarasssed. "I think it´ll still take a little time until I get accustomed to this place here, but be assured that I won´t disappoint you. I can learn, no matter what the others might say. I have managed before...home...back in Altara..." Using that as an opener, Dorian´s tongue soon seemed to relax a little. Unlike his body his mouth and words came often fluent like by themselves and feeling relieved to be able to at least fulfill the first thing that was expected of him, Dorian told Corin everything about how he and Danian had trained with Carl, how he had shown them the sword forms they needed to survive, how they had managed to escape the traps and attemepts of assassination directed towards them, if only barely at times. "I know our knowledge is still very basic though", Dorian said at last, unaware of his hand resting on the hilt of his finely-worked katana. "But I assure you, Danian and me, we´ll do our very best to do as you tell us. We know that we´ll have to learn a lot and that it will be a hard way, but we will manage somehow."

Blushing as he realized how what he was saying must sound, Dorian inclined his hand concentrating on the hand holding the hilt of his katana as he tried to work off the blush betraying his emotions. No, he didn´t want to brag or act foolish, all he wanted was to pass somehow. He knew he had no other place to go and he would stay with Danian no matter what happened.

ooc: that might not work out Faile, you're going down the path of strength and a katana certainly isn't going to work for that... oh, and by the way, I don't know if you picked this up from our bios but we got this whole thing about how since I can pritty much only fight with Danian's left arm, he's relpacing that strenght with speed, and since Dorian can't be speedy cuz of his blindness, he will be stronger.

IC: Danian kept his eyes locked on hers best he could as she circled him once she stopped in front of him, they continued their staring battle once more. “You look like you could be strong, perhaps we will try a Battle Axe or a Great Sword… but we shall see how you- handle- the sword that you have with you. Let me see it, please.â€

Danian drew his katana, tring to hide his startlement the best that he could, for he did not want to give Deneira any sort of advantage. Both of his arms extended, she examined the blade and hilt, examining it thouroghly. When she took the blade into her own hands, Danian's eyes widened. When she noticed his expression, his suprise turned into anger once more with her coment. “Don’t tell me you are afraid of a woman with a weapon!†Danian still stared at her, it was not that he was afraid of a woman with a weapon, he was afraid of this particular woman with a weapon, and him unarmed.

Deneira replaced the blade in his hands, and reached for her own blade. Unsure as to whether she ment to fight him, Danian was begining to become worried. When she handed him her scimitar, he exhaled a breath Danian was not aware was inside of him. “There, you take my blade, ill take yours!†She said this with disgust and contempt that just sparked Danian's anger further into a rage, and the hate that was boiling inside of him bubbled to the surface.

Danian began swinging around Deneira's blade, feeling the weight and inspecting the sharpness and style. One of Carl's first lessons was, "You can tell a lot of a man by his blade." Well, in this case it was a woman, but the same thing applied. Her blade was heavier than his but not necisarily slow. In fact, Danian thought that the blade would be fast, perhaps as fact as his own. From the blade, for some reason, Danian thought that Deneira was a pacifist, slow to fight.

This confused Danian, from what he had seen of her, she was an angry and insulting person. It just seemed so odd, that someone like himself, not liking to fight, would hate him so much. It didn't make sence to Danian, from what he was feeling from her blade, they had at least one thing in common, why did she hate him so much? Danian knew that it was somehow because of his disability, but why did that make her so furious?

Deneira spoke again, this time giving Danian his blade back and taking hers. “It’s a good blade, I approve.†Danian was still confused, although he was hating the beautiful woman in front of him, Danian didn't have the slightest idea of why she hated him. Deneira hated him since the moment she saw him, and Danian had no idea why. She let her hair loose, and Danian was pondering this mystery. Danian was so focused on it, that he almost didn't hear when she talked to him.

“Come on, you can tell me about your past weaponry, and I can relax. Hurry up, boy.†Almost gaping, Danian sat where Deneira had instructed, and began to tell about his past. "Well, I started my weaponry not to long ago," Danian decided to leave the assasins out. He knew that she would only snear at him and probibly hate him more for escaping. "From a private mentor with my brother." Danian winced slightly, he shouldn't have brought Dorian into this. "He taught us until he decided that we should come here to learn from the best."

Danian knew that she would like very much to send him and Dorian back to Altera, and he would work harder than he had ever before to make sure that he could somehow prove that he was not worthless. Danian's hate bubbled to the surface, he should not have to go to extents so he would not be treated like dirt. Although he hated her, Danian was willing to work as hard as he had to, to earn Deneira's respect. Danian would work hard to end her hate. Danian gazed into Deneira's eyes. But first, he would work hard to solve this mystery, and find out why she hated him so much.

Corin watched Dorian’s face with unveiled interest; watched as a mosaic of emotions floated across it while he began his explanation. Another boy who looks so young to have to experience this. A smile broke slightly on Corin’s face as he recognized relief begin to find a home on the boy’s face though his body still remained tight. This was going to take time to sort out how to best bring the boy to an ease he could work with. But he had made it this far which, if nothing else, spoke of tenacity, it was at least something of a start.

Dorian’s tongue seemed to take over as worlds and the boys past spilled from him in a never ceasing cascade of history. It was good to know the boy was feeling more at easy with him then when they had met. His eyes watched the slow movement of Dorian’s hand to the hilt of his sword and the way he gripped it. Knuckles almost taking on a white coloring during his disclosures of the trial and attempts on their lives they had already met and passed. It was a part of life and the great game Corin still had trouble comprehending. He had not been raised to a noble family or the great oddities that took them. But to attempt to assassinate some one so young, and at an obvious disadvantage turned at his stomach. Only a coward could find satisfaction in that.

The sudden silence from the boy bought Corin’s thoughts back to the present as he noted the pink warming Dorian’s cheeks. Indeed you most certainly will do your best. the though was some what cold when placed against the vision of the boy before him but it was a reality that could not be avoided with out the loss of lives. That was something Corin would not allow willingly. No mater the situation; he would not pass a student not worthy of the responsibility that would be paced on their shoulders once the red cloak was theirs. Too many lives were at risk for him to allow compassion to over rule judgment; no matter how harsh the thought seemed.

Already his face had schooled back to the blank mask he wore when the situation called for it. The boy would not see the difference on his face but it was now ingrained in him. “Yes I assure you Dorian, you will show and give me your very best or I will pull it from you make no mistake about that. What we do here affects lives in the future and I will not put them unnecessarily in harms way,†his tone was flat and authoritive but it did not have a harsh edge to it. His goal was not to scare or upset the boy; but he believed in making sure they were both on the same page. To ensure that Corin was going to make certain the boy knew his expectations.

“Your hand seems familiar with that hilt,†he watched as the boy’s hand twisted slightly on it as if testing its hold. “Not always will your own blade be the closest at hand. Besides, to start you will work with wood as all others before you and those that follow in your steps.†Rising from the ground he collected the two lathes from where he had leaned them against the tree. “You can remove the Katana and leave it there. Let’s will see how well you move,†he held one lathe out to the boy waiting for him to take its end while his eyes scanned the yard. It was busy, but there was room on the track for after this demonstration. It would give him a chance to see how fit the boy was. Only then did he remember that Dorian could not see hence the reason he had not collected the lathe from him.

Looking back at him he shook his head slightly, how was this going to work? He had to remember to verbalize everything; light how was he to test the boy’s endurance if he couldn’t see the track he had to run. With a held sigh he pushed the hilt of the lathe to the boy’s hand that had earlier gripped the Katana’s hilt. “Take it, it is the hilt of the lathe you will use for training. You will be responsible for bringing this with you when ever you are out training is that understood.†He waited for the boy to nod before he stepped out into the full caress of the sun. “Turn to your right and move out 5 paces so you have room to work. Now let’s see you demonstrate some of what you have spoken of.â€

Corin Danveer

Tower Guard

Guest Faile1987

“Yes I assure you Dorian, you will show and give me your very best or I will pull it from you make no mistake about that. What we do here affects lives in the future and I will not put them unnecessarily in harms way,†At those words, spoken matter-of-factly, Dorian nodded grimly. Yes, he would do his best. The last thing he wanted was endangering any more people than he already had. He would fight and do all he was told to in order to live up to the standards of the Warders´Yard. This was their only chance and he wouldn´t wnat to put that to a risk by being weak or slack.

“Your hand seems familiar with that hilt. Not always will your own blade be the closest at hand. Besides, to start you will work with wood as all others before you and those that follow in your steps. You can remove the Katana and leave it there. Let’s will see how well you move,â€

Dorian nodded slowly taking in what Corin was telling him, for once reluctant to abandon the katana his father had given him, reluctant to fight with any other weapon, but then again he knew that his mentor was right and cosidering the fact that a katana wasn´t really the right weapon for him, since we was no match in speed to his brother by far, he knew it would be best to start practising with another weapon even though he had been persistent on keeping his katana always before. He knew that this persistence might have appeared stubborn and childish to some people before, but he just had wanted to keep the weapon their father had given to them, regardless that he was made for a weapon to strike hard with rather than one requiring speed like a katana.

Suddenly his thoughts shifted back to his mentor though who was apparently waiting for him to act. Only that Dorian didn´t know what to do now and felt even more awkward and a fool standing in front of Corin unmoving and empty handed and on top of that feeling pity and confusion radiating from the man opposite him that it made him clench his teeth. He might appear to be a cripple in their eyes, but still he wouldn´t let anyone pity him because of his lack of sight. He would show them that he could stand up to the pressure they put on him no matter how hard he would have to try.

Still standing there, not knowing what he was supposed to do now, Dorian already wanted to ask what he was supposed to be fighting with, when Corin suddenly made the first step to him, thrusting what felt like a wooden stick into his hand. “Take it, it is the hilt of the lathe you will use for training. You will be responsible for bringing this with you when ever you are out training is that understood.†Nodding in understanding, Dorian traced the long lathe with his free hand to get a feeling for the length of the training weapon before his mentor continued in giving him instructions: “Turn to your right and move out 5 paces so you have room to work. Now let’s see you demonstrate some of what you have spoken of.â€

Dorian nodded, still a little uncertain as to what he was supposed to do right now, since he didn´t even know where Corin was standing now, knowing that the Warders were known for moving without making the slightest sound. He could be anywhere. But then again he remembered Carl´s words "You don´t need your eyes to see your opponent. Concentrate, empty your mind and you will feel where he is." Of course. It was like all these times Danian and he had had to fight an assassin to stay alive. Then they also hadn´t known where their opponent was coming from and they had managed to stand up against the attack after all, if only barely, they were still alive and that was proof enough for it. The void, Carl had called what he had taught them. To picture a single flame in their mind, a center of heat radiating for Dorian where he fed all his emotions, everything that ailed his mind into, clearing it completely. Emptying it. The only thing he felt now was the other man´s presence and knowing what he had to do, Dorian felt in Corin´s direction and not as speedy as his brother, but with a great force the strength of his arms was allowing him, he struck his mentor´s lathe as hard as he could noticing surprise and wariness loom up in his mentor as he had to realize that Dorian wasn´t as blind and defenseless as it seemed. "I might be blind, but that doesn´t mean I don´t know where you are", Dorian said with a small smile on his lips as he struck again concentrating on matters at hand, on what he was supposed to do.

He hurridly sat beside her, and she relaxed, her eyes shut, but her ears open. He spoke, somewhat unsteadily, and she learned. Perhaps he wouldnt be an absolute wreck, but he would have to work very hard to make anything of himself. But he had learned with his brother, and that meant that he was, more than likely, dependent on the blind fool. This would most certainly cause a problem in the end. Of course, that wasnt something she would deal with. If Corin wanted them together, then she would agree to it, but at the first sign of trouble, she would not run off to get help. Ginae had given him to her, and she would either make him or break him... and she was hoping for the latter. She didnt want some mangled fool trying to protect her, or the tower, for that matter.

He finished, and she stared at him for a moment, then gave him one simple nod. “You have a lot of work to do. While you may have been taught a few simple forms, and had swung a sword around a little, you are not a trained swordsperson, and I do not want to hear of you running around as such.†Light, if she heard anything of him running around, swinging a sword, she would kill him before Ginae even got word of what he had done.

“Your training will be long, and hard. You must be willing to work without ceasing, and push yourself further than you ever thought possible. You have three things counting against you at the moment. The first is your arm. I have not yet seen how it hinders your sword work, but I already no that it is a bother. The second thing against you is your brother. You will be compared to him, no matter how hard you try. You will also want to always protect him and coddle him because of his weakness. The last thing against you is what will hurt you the most... and that is me.â€

Her eyes dared him to contradict her, and he stared back at her. “I will not coddle you, and I will not allow you to slip through the system. I will work you hard, and if, and I truely mean, if, you make it to the rank of tower guard, you will be a force to reckon with. I am your teacher, and you are my trainee. I hope you learn and accept that very soon, for your own benefit. Any questions, boy?â€

“You have a lot of work to do. While you may have been taught a few simple forms, and had swung a sword around a little, you are not a trained swordsperson, and I do not want to hear of you running around as such. Your training will be long, and hard. You must be willing to work without ceasing, and push yourself further than you ever thought possible. You have three things counting against you at the moment. The first is your arm. I have not yet seen how it hinders your sword work, but I already no that it is a bother. The second thing against you is your brother. You will be compared to him, no matter how hard you try. You will also want to always protect him and coddle him because of his weakness. The last thing against you is what will hurt you the most... and that is me.â€

“I will not coddle you, and I will not allow you to slip through the system. I will work you hard, and if, and I truely mean, if, you make it to the rank of tower guard, you will be a force to reckon with. I am your teacher, and you are my trainee. I hope you learn and accept that very soon, for your own benefit. Any questions, boy?â€

Yes, Danian had a question, he wanted to ask her why she hated him so much. Danian wanted to ask what he did to offend him, or was he simply born? She said that she was going to be the one to hurt him the most, why? Why did she want to hurt him? Danian knew that he was going to have to work hard to be a tower guard, and maybe a warder, but why did this woman seriously want to cause him pain? What did he do to her that made him deserve this?

Instead of saying that, Danian looked into her eyes and replied: "No... no questions... that is perfectly clear." Danian fought back the anger he was feeling at saying those words and not protesting about Dorian. Danian had a feeling that with this woman, it would be best to bottle up his feelings, an hope that they did not burst sometime.

ooc: forshadowing for the future...

Corin watched Dorian with interest as the boy’s face began to relax and take on a blank appearance. Could he know the void already, But his though was broken as the lathe in the boy’s hand suddenly struck out toward him. Reaction honed from years in the yard had him moving before his mind had finished registering the boy’s movement. Lathe rising fast he deflected the hard strike from the boy with surprise skating over the surface of the void that enveloped him. Concentrated determination was the only saving grace that stood between the boy and the lathe in Corin’s hand. Already it was in movement; The Courtier Taps his Fan, stopped just short of the boys head.

Stepping back he drew a cleansing breath; the boy was perhaps more capable then he had first suspected. â€I might be blind, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know where you are.†The boy’s lathe slipped through the air again seeking him out only to be met with his own as the blow glanced off and away. The boy does seem to have a good starting weight but its delivery is slow. With no immediate vision speed could be a problem, it will be interesting to see what discipline he chooses as he works toward the cloak. Reversing the slow circle they had been making Corin stepped quickly inside the lathe tip’s range. As Dorian came around through an arc meant for his head he grabbed the boy’s forearm and brought the hilt of his own lathe down firmly on his wrist.

The lathe dropped from Dorian’s hand to the grass below as Corin stepped back; the lathe still ready should it be needed. “That was an interesting display, but perhaps you miss understood me.†The void left his voice cold and hollow though he did not intend it to be so. “I would like you to display the knowledge you just spoke of to me. I do not wish to have you challenge me at this point in time. Once I see how you move we can arrange your training.†He held the void while he watched the boy warily. He would not be surprised by his movements again; even if his own nature wished to add softer words of encouragement to the boy after the change in his expression. The guarded training would not let that part of him through the void now that he held it. How is this going to work? They survived together ... Perhaps ... could there be something there in that bond between twins that aid’s the other?†His eyes watched carefully as the boy’s hand closed around the hilt of his lathe once more. Stepping back he watched the boy rise from the ground and bring the lathe back up into a semblance of a ready position.

He shook his head, and she smiled, jumping onto her feet quickly. “Well, then, lets begin.†Her smile was more of a smirk, as she knew that he was about to regret ever coming to Tar Valon. “You say that you have trained before. I am guessing, then, that you would know the basic guard stance.†He nodded and moved into it. She did too. “Good. Now, I want for you to do as I say. Assume perform Unfolding the Fan, then move into Lion on the Hill. From there, you can step into Arc of the Moon, and turn it into The Falcon Swoops. Finish up with Folding of the Fan. Got that?†He stared at her, and she clapped her hands together. “I said, do you have it?†He just looked a little oblivious, and while she wore a frown on her face, a grin was inside of her, ready to burst.

“Honestly, you say that you once was taught, with your brother too. Don’t tell me you need him with you to perform. What is he, your security blanket? You are training to be a warder now, and we must destroy these weaknesses. Weakness number one: you cannot perform when given a simple task. Weakness number two: you cannot follow orders from your superior. Weakness number three: you need either your brother’s approval or your brother’s guidance in order to work with a weapon… need I continue?†He shook his head, and she took a few steps away from him.

“Now, remember what I told you, and watch as I do. When I am done, I hope you at least remembered some of it. I will repeat it two more times. By the time I am done, I want for you to be able to repeat it. If you feel like you look like a fool, no worries, because you do, and you will. I hope you came prepared, boy, because I am going to work you to death.†With that, Deneira’s hand went to her scimitar, and she swung it out, stroking the blade smoothly across her chest. The void entered her, and she forgot about the boy before her that she hated, and concentrated on making the easy forms flawless.

Her body moved her, the blade an extension of her body, and she held the blade in front of her, just at her shoulder, her legs spread lightly. It went into a slash, up and over, as though beheading an imaginary opponent. Her arm thrust forward, and she twisted her wrist just so, and then her body moved back to guard. The blade whipped as it was sheathed, and she paused a moment, her hand still at her hip. She just stared forward, as though through empty eyes. Softly, she whispered, “Watch closely, because that was the first of three times.â€

She repeated it twice, and after the final time, she slowly walked forward to him, and when she turned to face him, her eyes were no longer empty, but replaced with a cold stare. “Do it. If you cannot, then I want for you to try. You can never accomplish anything unless you try.†And you cannot fail unless I make a total idiot out of you…

ooc: sword forms link http://www.gaidin.org/swforms.php#

“Well, then, lets begin.†Her smile was more of a smirk. “You say that you have trained before. I am guessing, then, that you would know the basic guard stance.†Danian nodded and moved into it. She did too. “Good. Now, I want for you to do as I say. Assume perform Unfolding the Fan, then move into Lion on the Hill. From there, you can step into Arc of the Moon, and turn it into The Falcon Swoops. Finish up with Folding of the Fan. Got that?†Danian stared at her, and Deneira clapped her hands together. “I said, do you have it?â€

“Honestly, you say that you once was taught, with your brother too. Don’t tell me you need him with you to perform. What is he, your security blanket? You are training to be a warder now, and we must destroy these weaknesses. Weakness number one: you cannot perform when given a simple task. Weakness number two: you cannot follow orders from your superior. Weakness number three: you need either your brother’s approval or your brother’s guidance in order to work with a weapon… need I continue?†He shook his head, and she took a few steps away from him.

“Now, remember what I told you, and watch as I do. When I am done, I hope you at least remembered some of it. I will repeat it two more times. By the time I am done, I want for you to be able to repeat it. If you feel like you look like a fool, no worries, because you do, and you will. I hope you came prepared, boy, because I am going to work you to death.†Danian observed very carefully as Deneira’s hand went to her scimitar, and swung it out, stroking the blade smoothly across her chest.

Danian watched with contempt as she slid smoothly through the forms, with a grace that, although he hated her, Danian repected. She handled the blade as if it was an extention of her hands, making her arms longer. The scimitar went into a slash, up and over, and Danian noted that it was as though she was beheading an imaginary opponent. Deneira's arm thrust forward, and she twisted her wrist smartly and persicely, and then her body moved back to guard. The blade whipped as it was sheathed, and Deneira paused for a moment, her hand still at her hip, able to draw once again at any time.

“Watch closely, because that was the first of three times.†Danian observed carfully and noted all of her movements carefully. Danian's face tightened. Deneira truely was mindblowingly beautiful, and it was a true shame to have that beauty wasted on such a heartless and merciless person. Once she finished, she walked to him, and her eyes had lost the emotionlessness that they had had during her training, and now they resumed the cold hatred of before, complete with a snear. Danian wanted for the life of him to put his sword through her, but he listened, and waited instead. “Do it. If you cannot, then I want for you to try. You can never accomplish anything unless you try.â€

Danian stared at Deneira, who would be very sad to know that he had been observing every movement and shift that she did, and he knew that he would be able to duplicate them, if not as well as Deneira herself. Danian started, with "Unfolding the Fan" and to his dismay, nearly dropped his sword. Then, with a jerky movement, Danian moved into "Lion on the Hill". Danian knew that his hands were so wobily that anyone could easily knock his sword out of his hand. This time, Danian really did drop his sword, and he picked it up, and went into "Arc of the Moon". Then he tried to do what Deneira had done and instead of bringing his sword back, he moved into "The Falcon Stoops". To his dismay, instead of doing the smooth movement, he swung his sword and the momentum caused the tip of his blade to drag in the dirt. Next and finnally, Danian atempted to sheith his blade with "Folding the Fan", but instead nearly killed himself trying to shieth his sword.

Danian was just glad that he didn't have the blade in his hand and could not drop it with his shaking hands. Upon seeing the look on Deneira's face, Danian's hand itched on the hilt of his blade, crying out for Deneira's blood. And wanting to bury its self in her flesh. His hand clenched once, and then released it from the hilt. Danian knew the obvious result. If he had tried to kill Deneira, as he so wanted to, Danian would be beaten or killed in an instant, without thought, without remorse, and most likely with pleasure, so Danian continued his cold stare. She would see, Danian would work hard, harder than any other trainee, and make sure that he was strong enough to make her pay for the humiliation that she was putting him through. Eventually, yes eventually, Danian would make this wench pay.

Guest Faile1987

Dorian just was about to reach out and strike with the lathe given to him by Corin again, when suddenly he felt an almost unrecognizable stirr in the air, a soft breeze touching his skin as he felt Corin´s lathe come down on his, but then again it was aleady too late and all of a sudden pain exploded in his wrist as Corin´s wooden lathe hit him, disarming him in a single strike as his fingers had to let go of his training weapon on the sudden impact.

“That was an interesting display, but perhaps you miss understood me.†His mentor´s voice sounded cold and hollow, somehow...distant... “I would like you to display the knowledge you just spoke of to me. I do not wish to have you challenge me at this point in time. Once I see how you move we can arrange your training.â€

Dorian nodded, feeling heat rising into his face, his cheeks burning about his own foolishness. How couldn´t he have noticed what Corin wanted from him before? Of course his mentor woouldn´t want him to try to fight him now. It was apparent that Dorian had not the slightest chance against him and would fail miserably if he tried. But Light he had made a fool of himself and now he was definitely looking like one as well as he stood in front of his mentor taking up the wooden lathe again and nodded in acceptance. "Yes, Sir", he said curtly, trying to cover his own embarrassment as he hurried to comply to his mentor´s instructions, taking up the lathe and moving through some of the sword forms he had learned from Carl.

Beginning with "Unfolding the fan", Dorian switched over to "Arc of the Moon", a simple slash that still could be used to decapitate his opponent as Carl had taught him, moving through the form with him countless times so that they all came to him almost naturally, smoothly that for once he didnt feel blind at all, moving almost gracefully though not with the speed he knew his brother was able to manage, as he was going over to "The Courtier taps his Fan", which was quick, but powerful as well so Dorian could use his strength as a plus until he moved into "The Kingfisher Takes a Silverback", one of his favourite forms if one could call it like that, since he was able to put much strength into it as he struck downward, before he finished his performance with "Folding the Fan", holding his lathe ready in hand, waiting for his mentor to speak, wondering if he had done well or rather badly, since he hadn´t gone through his forms for a long while, since the day they had left Altara to be exact. But before him and Danian had used to do that everyday either after they got up or before going to bed and Dorian had always been glad for his brother to correct him if he had done it the wrong way. Now that was for his mentor to do and all that Dorian hoped for now was that he hadn´t done too badly.