DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How did you discover the WoT series?

I started reading the WoT series in the summer of 1993. Some students from my school had chartered a bus to go to World Youth Day in Denver Co. As we left to return home I knew I had a 20 hour bus ride ahead of me so I went to a "Walden's" to find a book to read on the bus. We were in a hurry so I ended up picking EOtW at random. Best random choice I ever made.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Robert Jordan was a great Conan story writer so I started looking for his other works. As luck would have it, EoTW had just been released. I took a break from reading Fantasy for about ten years after book three came out, then came back about 5 years ago and caught up.

I was 4 when EotW came out, so I didn't read it right away. I would go to the book store and scour through the fantasy section, and I was really drawn to the cover art of the Wheel of Time books, but I put off reading them because they looked SO LONG, and at the time I didn't read books much longer then 300 pages. So finally when I was 14 I had just finished rereading LotR, and wanted another fantasy series to read during my vacation in California. So my parents stopped by a small book store and decided I'd start reading this series that I'd ALWAYS wanted to read. I figured it was finished (PoD had been out for 2 years) so I bought it and just kept reading and LOVED it. Then of course WH came out and I realized I had to wait another 8 or so years to actually finish the series.

I first saw a Wheel of Time book in a advertising booklet for Waldenbooks when Path of Daggers was about to come out. I looked at it and something drew me to it, and I told myself, decisively "I'm going to read that book one day."

Today, I think that's pretty funny and random. :P I didn't even know it was fantasy, the only fantasy I had read before that in fact was Chronicles of Narnia, and Lord of the Rings in 4th grade. (I was in Jr. High at this point..) When the book came out a few months later, I saw it in the display case and still was determined to read it.

It wasn't until a while later, the year that Winter's Heart was going to be released, that I picked up The Eye of the World on a random bookstore trip. Another funny story involving that: the Trolloc attack of Emond's Field and Tam al'Thor's brush with death scared me so much that I put the book down for months. *laughs* I thought it was one of those morbid books where awful things happen to the main characters... fortunately I picked it back up and watched Moiraine save the day... and I've been hooked ever since.

I friend of mine named Carson Alford let me borrow EotW my sophomore year in High. That was around 1993. I had just finished The lord of the rings and was talking with him about it and he said I needed to read this book. Brought it in the next day along with The great hunt. Never stoped reading them.

I have now to this date bought 6 copys of EotW and have only a single one left. I reread them and then give them away. Hate to say it but its just dosent feel like home if EotW is not in the bathroom. I end up with numb feet from setting on the throne too long.

LOL, this is the hundreth time this question has been asked.

Red States picked it up because Waldenbooks did its job in sales with the little sales tags- "If you like X, you'll like Jordan". Picked it up when TSR was in hardcover and have thought Jordan would die before the series is over several times.

Guest Winespring Brother

I found a copy of the EotW in a box of old books belonging to my Dad. I only read it because I liked the picture of Moiraine on the front cover.

I had bought tEotW as a random choice also. I didn't even read the jacket. I had a book in either hand that I was deciding between and then I saw the cover of tEotW. I put the other two down and picked it up with no more thought than that.

It hung around on a shelf for about 6 months before a friend of mine mentioned they had read it on a trip to New Zealand.

I was, maybe, 15?

Guest Cadsuane

I was bored and looking for new books, when I vaguely remembered someone mentioning RJ's name to me as a recommendation many many many years before. So I bought a used copy of TEotW, in case the book was as bad as the cover art... :?

But then I liked it, and went out and bought the rest!! This was just 18 months ago or so...

It was sometime during eighth grade, last year.

A kid that sat at my table in homeroom had tEotW on top of his binder for like three weeks in a row. At the time, I was obsessed with fantasy books, so I was drawn to it.

I got it form the library, and loved it so much that I didnt want to wait for a month or two before I could get tGH from my library, so I bought all of them up to CoT.

I thought that it was the last one in the series until I finished the series at the end of last summer. Now I also have NStN and the big white book and waiting for KoD to come out in paperback.

I always tend to look for sets of books to read rather than individual books and happened to be blessed with having a Waterstones run by a chap with very similar tastes in books to myself.

Needless to say I am grateful for the day last summer when I asked him for something to read on holiday and he replied "Try this. Trust me you'll like it!" and passed me a copy of the The Eye of the World. Boy was he ever right In the last eight months I've read almost nothing but the wheel of time and I'm loving it on my second time through. Can't wait for Knife of Dreams to come out in paper back so I can continue the addiction.

I always tend to look for sets of books to read rather than individual books and happened to be blessed with having a Waterstones run by a chap with very similar tastes in books to myself.

Needless to say I am grateful for the day last summer when I asked him for something to read on holiday and he replied "Try this. Trust me you'll like it!" and passed me a copy of the The Eye of the World. Boy was he ever right In the last eight months I've read almost nothing but the wheel of time and I'm loving it on my second time through. Can't wait for Knife of Dreams to come out in paper back so I can continue the addiction.

I was in A book shop wanting something to read....having ever only read LotR and HP in the genre I wanted to try something else and saw EotW (but in two books) I thought that was the complete story....boy was I wrong but sooooo glad.

I haven't looked back since...that was about 18 months ago.

I was in A book shop wanting something to read....having ever only read LotR and HP in the genre I wanted to try something else and saw EotW (but in two books) I thought that was the complete story....boy was I wrong but sooooo glad.

I haven't looked back since...that was about 18 months ago.

I was in a Book Fair and wanted some new fantasy to read. So I picked up a book ... the title "the Road of Danger" (freely translated by me) sounded interesting but the cover was not my type. I read the cover text and decided to give it a try.

Later I discovered that it was only half of a book. The other half was in Swedish called "the Wheel of Time". I got it, and the next two books (yes, all books are in Swedish two books).

Then there was no more Swedish translations of t he series. So I started reading in English. Later I got the first two in English also, and don't bother to buy the Swedish ones.

I was in a Book Fair and wanted some new fantasy to read. So I picked up a book ... the title "the Road of Danger" (freely translated by me) sounded interesting but the cover was not my type. I read the cover text and decided to give it a try.

Later I discovered that it was only half of a book. The other half was in Swedish called "the Wheel of Time". I got it, and the next two books (yes, all books are in Swedish two books).

Then there was no more Swedish translations of t he series. So I started reading in English. Later I got the first two in English also, and don't bother to buy the Swedish ones.

it was reccomended to my mom by a veterinarian when she mentioned I liked fantasy. she bought me the first 3 for my birthday, i read them and the rest that were published (up to Path of Daggers) whenever I could, including in Math class.

Needless to say, I almost failed grade 10 Math.

it was reccomended to my mom by a veterinarian when she mentioned I liked fantasy. she bought me the first 3 for my birthday, i read them and the rest that were published (up to Path of Daggers) whenever I could, including in Math class.

Needless to say, I almost failed grade 10 Math.

Guest Thom Merrilin

My friend got tEotW last year, and then he never read them until this year, then he gave them to me, im amost done CoS right now

Guest Thom Merrilin

My friend got tEotW last year, and then he never read them until this year, then he gave them to me, im amost done CoS right now

I used to work in a bookstore, for I think 5 years off and on at different stores. The first one I worked at, anytime someone had a question about the fantasy and sci-fi section they'd call me because I read it. I collected a very large list of books that I 'must read if you love so-and-so'. Another guy I worked with at the time was reading the series and he told me I had to read it. HAD to. I moved on.. didn't read it. Had WAY too many books on my list of things to read to want to pick up a series 6 books in that were all so big :P

About 3 years later, he put out a new book and I decided it was time for me to start reading a new Author anyways (as I tend to read everything an author has written). I picked up EotW and never looked back :P

I used to work in a bookstore, for I think 5 years off and on at different stores. The first one I worked at, anytime someone had a question about the fantasy and sci-fi section they'd call me because I read it. I collected a very large list of books that I 'must read if you love so-and-so'. Another guy I worked with at the time was reading the series and he told me I had to read it. HAD to. I moved on.. didn't read it. Had WAY too many books on my list of things to read to want to pick up a series 6 books in that were all so big :P

About 3 years later, he put out a new book and I decided it was time for me to start reading a new Author anyways (as I tend to read everything an author has written). I picked up EotW and never looked back :P

Archived