DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Faile and Berelain

aevogt

I'm churning through CoT (always a tough read for me, not sure why, maybe becasue nothing really gets resolved) listening to Smashing Pumpkins "Gish" and I'm wondering about what will happen between Faile and Berelain now that Perrin has regained his wife.

My first though was that I hope Galad like 'em exotic because Faile will make good on her promise to shave Berelain's head.  Berelain fostered the rumor that she and Perrin had been intimate the very night Faile was taken.  I doubt she will be pleased. 

If Faile decides on this course of action, no will be able to stop her, with the possible exception of Perrin if he catches her in time.  Berelain may know some Judo but Cha'Faile could mug her, and her maids, in about 2 seconds.  Now, I shave my head every day and it doesn't take very long.  She could have her down to the scalp in a heartbeat.  I am roughly the same size and shape of a refrigerator so it's a look I can pull off, kind of like Bayle Domon.  I can't help but think that Berelain won't have the same luck.

My honest opinion is that Berelain obviously hasn't got a chance with Perrin.  Any possible infidelity on his part simply doesn't fit.  Berelain has been working on him off and on for well over a year and he hasn't cracked so I don't believe he's going to.  He was smart enough to keep his mouth shut about his suspicions regarding what may have happened to Faile while she was captive and promptly forgot about them, however unfounded they may have been.

The relationship between F and B was always cool, but after the meeting with Alliandre, there seemed to be a grudging respect developing between the two.  Partly, I suspect, because Berelain found out who Faile really was while they were masguerading as Colavere's attendents and partly because she helped Faile bring Allianre to heel for Perrin when she could have ruined

everything with a word.

If Berelain rescinds her oath to bag Perrin, could they wind up friends?

I don't think Faile would let Perrin and Berelain be friends, she'd always be suspicous that Berelain is trying to steal her man.

Of course neitehr would know because Faile is smart enough to figure out that if Berelain knows Faile doens't want her hanging around Perrin, she'll do just that to piss her off.

Besides Perrin knows that Berelain is bad news and he is aware that his wife is a hell of alot more dangerous.

I think that after so many months of watching Perrin, Berelain will know that once Faile is back, that Perrin is a losing cause. Yes, she spread the stupid rumour just after they were taken, but Berelain is a smart woman and I think either she will try to make peace (by letting Faile know that the rumour is false) or she will get one of the Ashaman to give her a gateway back to Carhein.

My read on the situation is that Berelain will continue to be an ally of Perrin's (Min' vision), but it will be very clear that her feelings are unrequited.  In Knife of Dreams, Perrin's sniffers hint at Berelain accepting her fate to never be with Perrin and wanting Perrin to find Faile so he can be happy. 

Enter Galad, the man in White who I believe will be Berelain's rebound man.  Min's viewing: "Just a man in white who will make her fall head over heels."

Sure, Galad's supposed to be "pretty" and all, but do you really think he and Berelain would be a match? I mean, certain aspects of it fit.. he's LCC of the Whitecloaks, he's of the ruling House in Andor; he meets her power requirements..  But he's got that morality thing. Seems like it'd be off-putting to any normal woman, like it was for Egwene and Nynaeve.

I've been thinking - will Galad fall for her? Mins wieving was:  "a man in white who will make her fall head over heels." It doesn't say anyting about him falling for her, right?

But, on the other hand, we shouldn't forget that Berelain is the type of woman who seem to need a challenge in a man... after all, she pursues Perrin who does not want her so she will problably see Galad as challenging in the same way - and at last give up Perrin...

Berelain and Perrin will never happen. Perrin does not seem like the type to stray to me.

I dont believe Faile will get the opportunity to shave Berelain though, Berelain is actally pretty tough and i think she could whip Failes butt.

Besides, Berelain is going to fall big time for Galad, and i think he will be all for it too. Once this happens i can actually see Faile not hating her nearly as much, perhaps even liking her a little. Faile is very jeolous and if you remember she really didnt like Min right up to the point she found out Min was in love with Rand, then she liked her fine.

Once Berelain has a new target i think the battle between her and Faile will be over.

Let's not forget that Berelain was throwing herself at Rand until she locked eyes with Goldeneyes.  Like it had been said earlier, Galad proves to be the ultimate challenge.  In many ways, they are extreme opposites, but they both are slowly changing. 

Galad has been the guy who does right even when it hinders his own personal gain; but that was tested all the way back when he found Elayne and Nynaeve at Valan Luca's Traveling Circus.  Although he rationalized it pretty well, he put his sister above Whitecloak policy.  I thought that Galad was going to become a real bad guy who thinks he's good, his self-righteousness boiling to new levels as he rose in the CoL ranks; however, I have noticed his gradual turn as the real world began to challenge his absolute ideals. 

Berelain also has softened a little with her failed attempts at winning Perrin.  Perhaps she has new respect for men who hold others above their own personal gain.  In KoD, she wants Perrin to find Faile and to be with her.  She still rocks, though...."I don't think he will hit you, Galina....allow me?"

If Berelain and Galad met in EoTW, they wouldn't care for each other at all; but, events have changed them both, and I see that under the right circumstances, they could both fall for each other. 

That's a good point about Berelain and Rand.  It brings to mind that, at the same time, she rejected Mat because she thought he was "to much like me". 

As in, while the capture part is pleasant, in the end, it's all about the chase.

If Berelain and Galad met in EoTW, they wouldn't care for each other at all; but, events have changed them both, and I see that under the right circumstances, they could both fall for each other. 

Well, opposites do attract, but in this case I think it's true for Berelain only - we shouldn't forget Galads' feelings towards Egwene; and, knowing his nature, I really doubt that he'll even look at Berelain (maybe if he sees Gawyn and Egwene smooching somewhere, only)

As for Faile and Berelain, I'll guess we'll see if RJ thought Faile has grown up already in AMoL; one good sign was the shoot of mutual respect towards each other we saw when Alliandre swore fealty to Perrin.

Damnit, I loaned The Dragon reborn to someone and never got it back..  What color was Perrin wearing the first time Berelain came into his rooms in the Stone?  I realize he probably isn't the man in white, he rarely wears white, but I think it's fun to speculate now and again.

It was in TSR, and he was nekkid, well, he had just taken his shirt off. Wait, maybe his underpants were white! :)

Archived