DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thoughts on Rand's "terminal" illness.

OsaroLJ

I have just completed another read through of the series, and as after every read, new questions have risen that I never considered before.

In KOD, Semi mentions that Rand is insane and the illness is inevitable. Furthermore, she mentions that its even WORSE if the voice is real- an idea that makes NO sense to me. Regardless, we know that Rand is dealing with some serious issues here-issues that probably need to be resolved before he can confidently begin his assualt on the DO.

On the other hand, we know that Cadsuane has a self appointed mission to teach the Dragon laughter and tears before TG. In fact, she believes that if Rand goes to TG the way he is right now, his victory will be as bad as his defeat. So, here again, Rand probably can not fight without this being "fixed."

My thought is, there might be a connection between these two "problems." Could solving one actually help solve the other? I mean, what if teach Rand to accept his humanity and stop trying to be SO hard on himself help him finally put LTT's persona away? In other words, may be LTT didn't show up because of the taint, as we all think, but rather because Rand wants to do away with that(emotions-which LTT has a TON of :)) part of him. In fact, Rand starts 'hearing' voices in the Waste when he begins brainwashing himself to be as hard as steel.

An interaction that made me think in KOD was when Rand tells LTT that Rand is NOT Lewis Therin. LTT replys by saying, "If you are not me, then who are you?" It almost sounds like Rand truly has rejected a part of himself, almost like he has compartmentalized LTT. I do not know how teaching Rand tears and laughter can heal that, but it seems plausible. Also, for the first time, LTT PLEADS to Rand to trust him. Could this be related to what i am saying? In other words, is LTT telling Rand to learn to trust his emotions rather than just ignore them?

I do not know if any of this makes sense, but my brain can stop thinking about it...

I think Lews is real.  If he wasn't, Rand wouldn't know things about the Forsaken that he does.  Like the time in the Stone that he told Lanfear, while calling her Mierin, that she was in love with power. Or being able to call up the faces and personality traits of the Forsaken, or remembering things, events, and places from the Age of Legends, or knowing the names of the weaves Lews Therin makes.  Seems like all of that together is too much for him to make up in his head.  Especially since it's all right.

It seems very obvious that LTT is real.

I would however not trust a word Semirhage has to say about the eventual consequences of that. She has every reason in the world to be lying through her teeth, and the best lies are those with the most truth in them.

I think that LTT and Rand are one in the same yet also 2 seperate entities. Consider if you will that Rand is LTT reborn, so Rand is and isn't LTT. I think that in order for him to not go insane he needs to integrate LTT's personality into his own as well as to learn to forgive himself for all those deaths he holds himself responsible for. It isn't his fault that all of those men and women have died not because of him but for him and that it was their decision not his that put them into those situations that led to their deaths. He also needs to learn to laugh and to cry to be a complete whole person. I think that is why LTT's personality has come through to him.

I would say that LTT is not real.

It would be worse if the "voice" was real in that it would indicate a more severly fragmented personality.

We have no evidence that Rand is experiencing episodes where LTT is taking over, and this is important, OF WHICH RAND IS UNAWARE. 

I know that LTT tries to seize the source away from Rand and actually succeeds in KoD.  I know that so don't bother telling me.  Please.  I'll get there, I promise.

Generally when there is a "split personality" the main personality is unaware of any others.  See "The Three Faces of Eve" for a good reference point.  We have no evidence that Rand is going off and acting, for lack of a better phrase, un-Rand-like, which is what would happen if there was really another, seperate, personality in there. Further, as soon as it gained control, which we have seen it do, the main personality would receed.  That's not what happened.  Rand it still very much aware of what is going on

Now, I know this series  is not based on reality.  But, once you are in this world, basic rules do apply.  We've never seen someone literally pull a rabbit out of a hat.  That simply wouldn't fit with the "science" for lack of a better phrase.  There are no conjuerers or alchemists, per se.

So, I think that just countered my original point.

If the voice of LTT is a symptom of Rand's condition, then we would see that personality switching with Rand and Rand would be gone until the alternate personality receeded.

Since what we do see is the two personalities co existing, talking, fighting, then the Voice of LTT, must be a seperate entity that is in fact the soul of the previous Dragon that was not completely upgraded when Rand was born.  Kind of like siamese twins without the extra body.

See Maj, I set out with the intention to dispute you and wound up supporting your position.  Someone call my ex-wife.  I saw the facts and changed my mind about something.

As a side note,

Rand meeting Moridin during the fight with Sammael in Shadar Logoth made me very happy.  It was proof that the whole thing wouldn't turn out to be a battle between the two halves, good and evil, hiding out in Rand's brain like some kind of 2 billion word version of Angel Heart.  Flash backs in the last Chapeter of "Evil Rand" doing things that were attributed to Ishmael or Moridin.  I'd be reaching for the pistol, probably to use it on myself.

Archived