DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL Prologe?

Darth_Andrea

Tor usually releases the Prologue about 6 months or so before the release of the book. Since the book's not coming until next fall (most likely) I don't think we'll see the Prologue until next March or so.

RJ had said that Tor wanted the Prologue to be released last September, but even he believed that wouldn't happen. He said that he rewrites the Prologues all the time, and wouldn't be confident in it. Plus, since he died in September, and then they got Brandon Sanderson and the books release has been pushed back a year, we're not going to see it for a while.

All i know is that he has said that he cant answer his email anymore because he has recieved so many about his involvment in AMoL. He also has a progress bar posted on his site for the first draft of AMoL. And he has stated that he is begining with chapter 1 not the prologe

All i know is that he has said that he cant answer his email anymore because he has recieved so many about his involvment in AMoL. He also has a progress bar posted on his site for the first draft of AMoL. And he has stated that he is begining with chapter 1 not the prologe

True but I've heard that RJ did start with the prologe, and therefore I would assume that the prologe already exists at least in rough draft form.  So I'm guessing the Brandon probably started with chaper 1 because there's not much left to do with prologe other than editing.

Um....Could you post that link please, (is shamed she dosen't have it already)

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]        starwars1.gif     anim-ring.gif   

My optomistic guess is that the first part of it not the entire thing will show up in the backs of Knife of Dream's paperbacks by the beginning of 2009.  The paperback copy of Crossroads of Twighlight that I have has the first part of the Kod prolouge in the back.  If we are really lucky we might have the entire thing by the end of the year, but that really depends on how fast the revising process goes, because from the sounds of RJ's blog before he passed he was more revising it then writing it.  I'm willing to bet that Brandon has a draft of the prolouge on his computer, and his (and harriets) job with the prolouge is to revise it to whatever RJ wanted for it.

• 1 month later...

I just hope we all just haven't been really dense and missed obvious clues. If it turns out to be someone none of us have suspected but should have then I think we are all going to walk around with Dunce hats on for months. Oh yeah BTW Brandons site says he is 12% done with the first draft as of today 05/05/08.

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]      starwars1.gif     anim-ring.gif

12% in a WoT book is a lot of pages, especailly with everything left to cover in this book and series to make AMoL end the series.

i had heard a rumor (from the book store i go to) that RJ had 5 chapters written, but i could never find out which ones.  i hope one of them is the prolouge, and one is the ending, and the others are major scenes in TG.

and what ever RJ did have written as a draft before this new guy shouldn't touch at all other than editing; i'm also hoping that since him and RJ were able to meet before RJ passed, that they scetched out a rough draft pointing out such and such has to happen, then so and so does this.  like a list of important events that have to be covered in each chapter, that way RJ's flow is still in there.

i'm hoping that his style isn't all too different from RJ's in these books, that he uses this book to try and tweak his own style.

what are ya'lls thoughts on how he will do??  after i get done with KoD i'm going to find a few of his books so i can see his style first hand, as well as for Bubba as well.

I think he is going to stay with RJ's style for a couple of reasons. First, he has mentioned before how he has liked RJ's style from the beginning. If you already like the style why change it, unless for some reason he can't.

Second, he already has established his style from his own books and they have been successful. He doesn't need to make the WOT fit his style and I would hope he wouldn't because it would take away from RJ's book.

I have said this in earlier posts, that I believe Mr. Sanderson's best tribute to one of his favorite authors is to keep the book as close as RJ would have done it himself.

I'd rather Sanderson use his own style and AMoL deviates slightly from the previous WoT experience than see an obvious cheap imitation of Jordan's style. Of course, there is the off chance that Sanderson can actually pull off RJ's writing style and techniques well, but I wouldn't count on that. Every author writes differently.

Sanderson did mention that whatever was there would stay there unedited. He also said that for the most part, Jordan's notes outlined everything that was supposed to happen, very few things left in the dark. But you can't write a novel of notes, of course.

Also, the 12% (13 now) of AMoL completion that stands on Sanderson's blog most likely includes the parts RJ had finished before his death. And this is also the very first draft. IIRC, Sanderson writes three drafts and one final version, or something along these lines. It is progressing very well, though, by the looks of things.

Elantris did not excite me, to be honest. I'll be reading Mistborn in the summer.

I'm honestly not concerned at all about Brandon's writing style. As Luckers said, it is already fairly similar.

13%!

Asmo, I didn't really go for Elantris either, but I loved Mistborn. As Mistborn is the latter of the two, I'll just hope that he'll keep getting better.

I don't know about the prolouge, but I have noticed that Sanderson tends to post sample chapters from his book on his webpage prior to their publication.  I hoping that he will do this with AMOL as well, thought I wonder if the non-disclosure act he signed will prevent this.  I hope he will be allowed to do this as it will be a four year wait between KoD and AMoL.  Of couse the legnth of this wait is understandable considering the extreme circumstances but it would be nice to have something to wet or appitites in the mean time.

I dont think that this will happen becasue of his non disclosure agreement with TOR. If we saw teh prolouge it would be something that they did not him. There for i think that we will probably see it at one point or another just because of the fan base that WoT has built and it will draw more attention and anticipation to the realease og AMoL. If that is possible.

I'd rather Sanderson use his own style and AMoL deviates slightly from the previous WoT experience than see an obvious cheap imitation of Jordan's style. Of course, there is the off chance that Sanderson can actually pull off RJ's writing style and techniques well, but I wouldn't count on that. Every author writes differently.

I couldn't agree more, in his own style is where Brandon will be most comfortable and where he will do his best work.  I would rather have a great telling of AMoL in Sanderson's style than an Ok telling in a choppy verson of Jordan's style.  It is possible that Sanderson could pull off a decent immitation of Jordan's style but still I think any attempt to reproduce the style of another writer will detract from the quality of Sanderson's work (as it would from any writer).  It is best if Sanderson is allowed to stay where he is most comfortable.  I can deal the the final instalment of WOT being in a differnt style than the rest of the series as long as the story is told well. 

Of course we should consider that Brandon has been a big fan of Robert Jordan for many years.  I would say that Jordan probably was one of Brandon's influnces so there is already some of Jordan in Sanderson's work.

I almost feel sorry for Brandon. 

He knows everything we want to know and he can't say a word.  In the same position, it'd just be killing me.

I hope he doesn't have to become a shutin because he's dodging wacko WoT fans.  Ha!

I almost feel sorry for Brandon. 

He knows everything we want to know and he can't say a word.  In the same position, it'd just be killing me.

I hope he doesn't have to become a shutin because he's dodging wacko WoT fans.  Ha!

SHHHHH!!! Don't tell him... *Continues Her Stalking*

[glow=red,2,300]Darth_Andrea[/glow]    starwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif

Archived