DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Jaimelai

TO SERVE OGIER (it's a cookbook!)

Hi Taborline and Cindy. Thanks for the interest. 
Taborline - Thanks for complimenting the look. - I think the herbs sprinkled on top add to the appearance.

Anyway, here goes (Cindy - As required:)

Ingredients
2 med-large onions, peeled and diced
About a tot of sunflower oil
A teaspoon of  salted red spice mix (Could use any seasoning)
4 lamb shanks
Black pepper grinder
Paprika

About ¾ cup of the vinegar mix left over from pickled olives
A sprinkling of mixed spice
4 small red peppers, whole
1 can of tomato and onion mix
1-2 tablespoon of dark soy sauce

A handful of each of the following herbs, mixed together and chopped:
Coriander leaves with stalks
Mint
Thyme (leaves only)

Method
Pre-heat the over to about 150°C (I started at 180°C, but it got too brown at the bottom too quickly, so I turned it down to 140°C)

Start braising the onions with the Tikka Massala in a mixture of the oil and a little water.

Sprinkle the lamb shanks with black pepper and paprika and seal in the pan with the onions, turning to seal all sides.

Add the vinegar mix, red peppers, a sprinkling of mixed spice, the tomato and onion mix, the soy sauce and half a cup of water. Bring to the boil.

Cook in the oven at 150°C for about 3 hours. Add ¾ cup of water at a time if the sauce is becoming very thick and turn every hour.

Sprinkle the chopped herbs over the lamb shanks and sauce and return to the oven for 5 minutes

:

Cindy - Red spice mix isn't a particular mix - I was just trying to give a name to describe one of the un-named mixes which they make at the shop. I am not sure what is in it, but it tastes like salt, chili, and corriander.

Shadar, I wouldn't worry about the thyme - just leave it out. I am sure there are enough other flavours. Thyme might not be ideal for this anywau, since jit is sometimes a bit hard if it. isn't cooked. - I always jus cook with what I have at home. - Like today I had brinjals and left over lemon-chive bechamel sauce,so I made a bake with brinjals, minced beef, macccaroni, the lemon-chive sauce and a bit of cheese on top. Thyme is quite common here, but I guess you get different ingredients in different places.

Taborline - It is my pleasure - I like paprika and corriander too. I will keep an eye out for interesting dishes with them.

Chicken Pot Pie
Ingredients

• 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed

• 1 cup sliced carrots

• 1 cup frozen green peas

• 1/2 cup sliced celery

• 1/3 cup butter

• 1/3 cup chopped onion

• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

• 1/4 teaspoon celery seed

• 1 3/4 cups chicken broth

• 2/3 cup milk 

• 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

• PREP

20 mins
  • COOK

50 mins
  • READY IN

1 hr 10 mins
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
  2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
  3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
  4. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Edited by al'Leif Dratoran

It is the more evil of the choices but I was watching old epis of good eats on Netflix and now I'm thinking of trying one of his dumpling recipes....

In the mean time the weathers turned to hot and humid so I'll wait till it's cold again yo stew something.

Should be next week.

Some delicious ones:

Mushroom Casserole

Ingredients
3 pounds sliced porcini mushrooms
1 pound sliced leeks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
8 ounces butter
8 ounces heavy cream
8 ounces bread crumbs
Directions
Watch how to make this recipe
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a casserole, place 1 layer of mushrooms and leeks. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parsley. Cover with 2 ounces of butter and cream. Repeat process three more times and cover with bread crumbs. Bake until mushrooms are tender and crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes

St. Louis Pork Ribs

Ingredients
2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 slabs St. Louis style ribs, 2 to 3 pounds each
4 tablespoons kosher salt
1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
Special equipment: Smoker and 4 ounces hickory or oak wood chunks or chips
Directions
Watch how to make this recipe
Set a smoker to 225 degrees F.

Combine the paprika, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic powder, onion powder, nutmeg and cayenne in a spice grinder. Process until a fine powder is formed, approximately 30 seconds.

Pat the ribs dry and turn bone-side up. Trim excess fat and, if one end of the ribs is especially narrow, trim meat and bone to ensure even cooking. Remove the membrane on the underside of the ribs by inserting a rounded utensil, an upside-down spoon works well, between the membrane and the meat at one end of the slab. Carefully work the spoon under the membrane to loosen but not tear. Once enough has been loosened, use a paper towel to hold onto the membrane as you slowly pull it down the slab to remove.

Sprinkle the ribs on both sides with the salt and brush both sides with the mustard. Sprinkle two-thirds of the spice mixture on the meat side of the ribs and the remaining third on the bone side.

Once the smoker has reached 225 degrees F, add the wood chips or chunks and the ribs to the smoker.

Smoke for 4 to 5 hours then test for doneness. There are four criteria that should be met in order for ribs to be done. First, the internal temperature of the meat should be 185 to 190 degrees F. Second, pick up each slab from the center with tongs and it should droop into a u-shape and crack slightly. Third, while holding with the tongs, and bouncing gently, the surface of the ribs should crack slightly. Lastly, the meat should pull easily off the bone but not fall off. If ribs pass all tests, remove them from the smoker and wrap in heavy-duty foil and rest for 15 minutes. If not, continue smoking for 45 minutes to 1 hour and test again until done.

Posted (edited)

Not sure if this is gardening or cooking, but I've been doing sourdough these days.

i got my starter started more or less the way chef John does on foodwishes (highly recommend btw).

mix equal amounts good water and flour (50/50 bread flour/spelt) by weight, discard half in 24 hours add the same amount you discarded, continue 7-10+ days until it's quite active and smells good for baking.

itll smell pretty awful days 2-4 but fear not and press on, the good yeast and lactobacilli will prevail over the bad bacteria.

after that it's ready to bake with.  I named my starter Odo. I keep him in the fridge and feed him about once a week. He gets some bread flour, some whole wheat or spelt, and a touch of rye to get him zippy. I'm not sure why rye peps up a starter, but by golly it does.

heres today's loaf: the starter, mostly bread flour, a little spelt, water and almond milk because I had some in the fridge, and salt, that's it. Hydration so high I couldn't shape a boulle so I baked it in a bread pan, and it got lovely spring.

7628A581-BDA6-421D-B7D3-5678F8EE26C2.jpeg

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

:). I can go on about sourdough like an ogier about trees. I don't really use recipes for the breads but I can find some easy ones to start off with if anyone gets a starter going and wants to try. It's the kind of thing that's easier to learn from watching and doing than reading tho.

Posted (edited)

Oh wait, I do have a good recipe for while you're working on the starter and it's kind of starting to taste good so you don't want to discard the discard.

you just heat a pan, put a little oil in item and pour in your discard. Top the resulting pancake with sliced scallion and sesame seeds. Flip to brown both sides and salt lightly. Cut in wedges and make a dipping sauce from soy or coconut aminos, sweet or savory chili paste, Worcestershire sauce and a little sesame oil. 

The starter is good enough to make this by day 4 or 5 even if it isn't quite ready to leaven a bread.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

On 8/30/2019 at 2:53 PM, Duadhe Wansho said:

Can you keep on using the same starter? (I.e. using part of it and feeding the rest to make up for what you used)?

Forever and ever, indeed.

you can even dry your starter and revive it months later if you don't bake much but I would never do that to Odo.

my baking process is usually to take the starter out if the fridge and feed it up to full activity over a day or two with a combo of white flour, whole wheat, and a touch of rye.

i could use it straight from the fridge, but I enjoy perking it up ?

When end I do my last feeding before I mix my dough, I give it a couple hours to bubble up and then I put a small amount in a clean jar, and keep it in the fridge till I bake again.