DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Jaimelai

TO SERVE OGIER (it's a cookbook!)

sangria.  

for ogier who do not like beer. and who are over 18.  or 21.  depending on country and perhaps state, i stopped checking a while back.

a few lbs citrus, sliced thin, mostly oranges or other sweet ones, a few lemons

5 liters cheap red wine. that's a box. can't be too cheap.  or leftovers from whatever bottles you have laying around  white and pink are OK, i like red.

a cup or more of pomegranate or other juice, soooooo optional

750 mils of brandy or cognac. depends on how much you love the ogier you serve. i love mine a remyfull.

a big bottle triple sec (or small one, depending on personal taste; the more of this you use, the sweeter the brew. and if you really want to make an ogier sing, make it grand marnier)

mix all that up, in your biggest kettle.  let it chill overnight.

when ready to serve add a bottle of seltzer, lemon lime soda (diet sierra mist is good here) or, my personal favorite, nice cheap champagne or cava or some nice fizzy wine like that.

serve over ice, and if you like, fruit salad.

this will cause joy but beware if you use the champagne instead of the soda it may cause... spinning. 

Edited by cindy

PB&J French toast

make aPB&J sammich on good thick white bread or challah.... we'll bake bread soon but just buy some if you don't do that...

make French toast batter with milk or cream, a couple eggs, cinnamon optional, pinch salt, and about a tablespoon flour or pancake mix. it should be lumpy when you mix it.

dip the sammich on both sides, fry in butter.

you don't need syrup on this but ice cream is good, so's whipped cream.

Edited by cindy

speaking of ice cream, it goes well with apple pancakes.

use your favorite pancake mix or make it from scratch, don't make me no nevermind. let it sit while you make the filling. pancake batter gets better as it sits.

sauté peeled, cored, sliced tart apples in butter, cinnamon and brown sugar till softish. hit them with a splash of apple jack or whiskey and a touch of vanilla and let that bubble down. set aside, keep warm.

cook a great big giant pancake. or a few smaller ones,but...reaaaaaaalllly good presentation with a plate size one.

set on a warmed plate, spoon a healthy mess of the apples down the center, fold over the sides of the pancake like an omelette, top with ice cream or whipped cream and a little sprinkle of confectioners sugar and cinnamon.

Edited by cindy

oven fries

you know what's weird about potatoes?

all those recipes that call for soaking them In cold water for hours ... are really missing the mark.

cut potatoes steak fry style, like half inch wide spears.

soak them in very hot tap water about ten, fifteen minutes. no,srsly, trust me, this works.

meanwhile get the oven hot,around 425. and heat a good baking sheet. with sides, not deep but meh, a rim,

drizzle the pan with olive oil, sprinkle with coarse salt and black pepper.

drain the potatoes, pat dry, slip them onto the hot sheet, toss to coat (use a spatula, don't actually toss hem), cover tightly with foil and into the over for about ten, fifteen minutes.

then uncover them, put them back in the oven, ten minutes, turn them, ten minutes more.

should be brown and crispy on the outside, fluffy and mealy on the inside.

if not, your oven needs to be hotter or cook them longer uncovered.

so good to put them in a bowl and drizzle with garlic butter...

or on a plate, hit them with hot wing sauce and blue cheese dressing.

or.. or.. oh, heck, you know how to eat potatoes.

but I'm just saying...chili and cheese and under the broiler then sour cream is a good thing.

yellow rice and black beans

purée or smash together w mortar and pestle:

1/2 bell pepper
1 small onion
1/2tsp salt
handful fresh cilantro
couple tbsps olive oil
pinch saffron or packet sazon Goya con azafran

sautéed briefly in your rice cooking pot... the thick one with the tight cover...

add about a cup long grain rice (not jasmine or basmati, they cook too fast,just plain long grain or even medium. uncle bens is fool proof but takes a little longer to cook) and cook, stirring, until the rice is kind of translucent or at least well coated.

stir in about 2 oz canned tomato sauce or a small minced tomato, cook for a minute with the rice, and add about a cup and a half boiling water or stock. (always go just under the recommended 2:1 liquid to rice ratio on the bag cause that's too much liquid).

just stir in to combine, bring to simmer, cover and cook on low heat 15 to 20 mns (25 for uncle bens).

uncover briefly to toss in a can of drained black beans, or around a cup and a half drained cooked ones, cover tightly, turn the fire off but leave the pan on the hot burner another ten minutes.

toss with a fork into serving dish.

Edited by cindy

lindy's cheesecake. completely stolen recipe but i don;t bother with the cookie crust, who eats cheesecake for the crust.

make a graham cracker crust, you know, how, line the 10 inch springform with it.

then do this

ingredients:

2½ lb. cream cheese, softened (very good to sub part neufchatel) 
1¼ cups sugar
3 tbsp. flour
1½ tsp. orange zest
1½ tsp. lemon zest
½ tsp. vanilla extract
5 whole eggs, plus 2 yolks
¼ cup heavy cream

Heat oven to 500°.   Beat cream cheese, sugar, flour, zests, and vanilla in a large bowl on medium-high speed of a hand mixer until smooth.   Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition, until smooth (DO NOT OVERBEAT!!! IT WILL BE RUINED!  just until combined, ogier's honor)   s

tir in cream.   Pour filling into pan, and bake until top begins to brown, about 15 minutes.  

Reduce heat to 200°, and bake until just set, about 1 hour more.  

COOL IN OVEN ABOUT AN HOUR  

Transfer to a rack, and let cool completely.  

Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.

Remove cake from pan and cut into slices to serve. 

Edited by cindy

cheese beer soup

the variations are infinite, so I'll start with the simplest, and you do what you like from there.

melt a quarter cup butter over medium heat. or render the fat out of some bacon instead. set the bacon aside for another use, or crumble and add to the soup at the end.

(if desired, cook in the butter until softened : a chopped leek or onion, a little chopped celery and very finely chopped carrot, a couple of diced potatoes, a couple cloves garlic, chopped. all of the veggies are optional)

sprinkle in 1/4 cup flour, and a couple tablespoons dry mustard, stir until smooth, cook for another minute.

slowly stir in two cups whole milk or light cream. or heavy cream, your call... and a cup, cup and a half chicken stock.

season with black pepper. shot of Worcestershire sauce, shot of Tabasco optional.

cook, stirring, until bubbling and thickened.

stir in a cup and a half (that's a bottle) good beer, ale, lager, what have you, and a pound or so of any combination of cheese you like, cubed or shredded. most often American and cheddar, but any cheese that melts pretty smooth will work.

stir constantly over low heat until the cheese is melted in. DO NOT BOIL after you add the cheese.

and that's it, simple and good just the way it is.

or... you could make bacon cheeseburger soup out of it by adding, with the cheese and beer, browned ground beef and chopped or crumbled cooked bacon, a diced tomato, a minced pickle or two, sweet or sour (trust me, it works), and a shot of ketchup. no, seriously. it's very good.

Edited by cindy

cinnamon sticky buns

make a batch of sweet dough, white bread dough, or egg bread dough. two lbs.

or do what I do and cheat. use the frozen white bread dough from the supermarket. it's near the frozen pie shells and waffles. those are vile, but with what you're going to do to this dough, it doesn't have to be fancy.

prepare two 9 or 10 inch, round or square cake pans, by buttering each with 1/4 cup butter, drizzling each with 1/4 cup karo (light corn) syrup, and then sprinkling each with 1/4 cup brown sugar.

no, you don't have to measure any of this, just goop it on there.

roll out the dough into a rectangle around 18 inches long, 6 to 8 inches wide... about 1/4 inch thick.

smear the rectangle with a good bit of butter... I'm getting tired of saying 1/4 cup but... pretty much.

sprinkle with... ok let's say 1/3 cup for the heck of it,... brown sugar and a couple tablespoons cinnamon.

optional, sprinkle on a handful of raisins, and/ or pecans or walnuts.

work with a long side of the dough toward you, and try to keep the far edge clean so you can seal it after you roll it up.

roll it up...starting at a long side, so you end up with an 18 inch roll.

doesn't have to be super tight, but keep it even if you can.

pinch the dough all along the edge to seal.

might want to refrigerate it for fifteen minutes to make it easier to cut but you don't have to.

slice it into one inch thick rings. so pretty and swirly... and space them evenly (cut side down for the end pieces) in the prepared pans.

cover and refrigerate overnight to rise. you can keep them in the fridge unbaked for three days. very convenient.

when you're ready to bake, take the pans out of the fridge to warm up a bit while you heat the oven to 325 degrees.

bake until golden brown and springy to the touch. start checking at 25 minutes, shouldn't take more than 30.

immediately invert the pans onto plates or platters. let them sit for a few seconds to get all the syrupy goodness to drizzle down onto the buns and then remove the pans.

eat them while they are hot.

if for some reason you do not eat them all... I've only seen that happen once... reheat them with a pat of butter on top for just a few seconds in the microwave.

Edited by cindy

Just because I don't see any food from my particular region of the U.S.:

Easy Chicken Enchiladas

- 1 can of cream of chicken

- 1 can of cream of mushroom

- 1 chopped onion

- 1 can of diced green chilies

- 1 cooked, shreaded chicken

- approximately 2 cups of shreaded cheese

- corn tortillas

Mix everything but the cheese and tortillas together in a big bowl.

Two assembly option are:

- Dip the tortillas one by one into hot grease to make them pliable.  Layer some chicken mix and cheese inside, and roll it up.  Fill pan with these rolled enchilladas.  Pour some chicken mix over the top, add a layer of cheese, cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

- Lay some tortillas flat across the bottom of the pan.  Layer chicken mix and cheese, interspersing with additional layers of tortillas (usually one more layer).  End with a final layer of tortillas on top, a layer of chicken mix, and cheese.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for approximately 30 minutes.  This is the casserole version of chicken enchiladas.

Enjoy!

Lemon and Garlic Tilapia

- enough tilapia fillets to serve you and your guests; two fillets is usually enough for one person

- lemon powder or lemon juice

- garlic salt

- butter

- dried parsley

Before seasoning the fillets, I soak the tilapia in warm water to get some of the pond taste out but any creature bred underwater will invariably taste like their environment.  Since I live in the Great Semi-Arid Shrubland, freshwater lakes are kind of rare and as such, I'm a little more sensitive to such things.  My family back east has never complained about the lake water taste of fish so either I'm correct in this assumption or I'm fickle.

So!  Take your tilapia and baste both sides in butter.  You can either baste it melted or just smear it on like paste.  How you baste your tasty fish is up to you but spare no waste in your basty haste.  Sprinkle the underside with the lemon seasoning and sprinkle a little bit more on the opposite.  Season with garlic and parsley and cook at 375 for thirty minutes or until it crumbles with a fork.

Serve with a side of vermicelli and rice.

fried potatoes and eggs

this is featured in some movie or other and was taught to me as something to do when the men are in the living room talking "business" and .... it's better to be in the kitchen so what you don;t know can't... yeah.

slice potatoes as thin as you can.  

heat frying pan hot hot hot, glug in a good bit of oil, slide in the potatoes, salt and pepper generously, toss to coat, cover the pan tightly for ten minutes so they get almost done...

uncover the pan and let them brown, turning now and then (there will be more than one layer of potatoes ... unless you have some really big pans or aren't feeding anyone else; don't worry, as long as there are some brown crispy bits and soft, mealy bits... you're golden).

beat some eggs with a little pepper, touch of salt.

when the potatoes are looking good, add the eggs, take the pan off the heat, stir for a moment till the eggs start to set, and turn it all out onto a platter.

you keep it in the pan too long the eggs over cook and... that would be bad.

eat up, yum.

not bad with cheese on top, either, any kind at all. 

another completely stolen recipe, very easy to make cake (if i'm making a cake... this is almost always the one), very dense and good.... has as much sugar as any cake but doesn't taste very sweet.  

Mississippi mud cake

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 3/4 cups strong coffee
  • 1/4 cup bourbon
  • 5 1-ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 275°.

Whisk together or sift the flour, salt, and the baking powder.

Melt the chocolate and the butter in the hot coffee (you can heat it in a double boiler or microwave if it doesn't melt all the way); Stir in the bourbon.

gradually beat or whisk in the sugar until dissolved.

beat or whisk in the dry mix until the batter is smooth.

beat in the eggs and vanilla until thoroughly blended. don't overbeat the eggs.  ever.  bad things will happen.  promise. 

the batter will be thin.  don't worry.

Pour into a well greased, lightly cocoa dusted,  bundt pan

Bake for about 1 -1/2 hours, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then unmold onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.

when cool, dust lightly with cocoa powder.

serve with unsweetened whipped cream.

or not.

sometimes i make a glaze by melting chocolate (chips are fine) with a little butter or oil and drizzle it over the cooled cake.  is good. 

Edited by cindy

Bigos / Polish Hunter's Stew

there are probably as many recipes for this as... the number of times it's been cooked.

basically, a lot of different kinds of meat and sausage, fresh and smoked... most often pork nowadays i think, but traditionally game.  i've used beef, and chicken and... whatever you want is good.  like when the neighbors insist on giving you venison... or whatever roadkill they may have found...

anyway, what i think it always has in it aside from the meat, is green cabbage...  fresh sauerkraut, the kind that's brined, not the kind that's pickled.  you can find it refrigerated in the deli section usually, but if you can't... use the pickled stuff and rinse it forever. an onion.  a couple pounds of mushrooms, mixed, mostly fresh but some dried wild ones if you can get them.  either beer, or wine and tomato sauce.  salt, pepper, caraway seeds, marjoram (which i can never find unless i grow it, so i use oregano or thyme). a couple handsful of prunes.  

i work with two pans, a big frying pan to brown the meat, and my biggest stock pot for everything else.

chop a whole green cabbage (not savoy, normal cabbage), and an onion, cook those down in the big pot, adding a little salt to draw out the liquid. 

in your frying pan, start browning off the meat.

i start with whatever fresh sausage i'm using because i like to brown everything else in that grease, or you can use bacon grease or oil.

i'll use a pound or two of fresh sausage, cut into.. eh, 2 inch chunks is good, all the meat the same size more or less.

brown that off, put it in the cookpot with the cabbage.  keep stirring while the veggies get soft.

brown off the rest of the meat in batches in the frying pan.  this time i'm using pork shoulder, about 3 lbs.  but you can use anything, really.... anything...  

add it to the pot as it browns.

slice some good smoked sausage, kielbasa is the proper thing here, about a pound and a half, and put that into the cookpot without browning.

add a ham shank or smoked pork butt or something like that to the pot.

add the drained sauerkraut.  and... i'm no fan of sauerkraut, but after it cooks together with everything else... it becomes something wonderful.

in the same pot where you browned the meats, without adding any more grease or oil, brown the fresh mushrooms (leave small ones whole, halve or quarter big ones).  salt them once they start to give off liquid, and scrape the brown yums off the bottom of the pan with that liquid.  cook till almost dry and add to the cookpot.

if you're using dried mushrooms, reconstitute them with boiling water and add them to the pot.

either pour in a couple bottles of beer, or a bottle of wine and a can of tomatoes.  you won't have enough liquid to cover everything, don't worry.  the veg will give up more liquid, and it's supposed to be a "dry" stew. 

add a tablespoon of caraway, a couple teaspoons of marjoram or whatever herbs you have... a lot of coarse black pepper.  some people add some juniper berries, but i have no idea where to get those so... i guess a shot of gin would work, but it's optional.

bring everything to a simmer, cover tightly, and cook this forever on a very low heat.

if you don;t have forever... cook it until the ham shank or pork butt starts to fall apart.  start checking after 2 hours, shouldn't take more than 4...

fish it out, discard the bones and the fat, chop the meat and throw it back in the pot.

the recipe i worked from the first time i did this said to halve a couple dozen prunes and add them now... and to cook another half hour.

if you need to hide the fact that you have used prunes... the humans are so silly about their finicky nonsense sometimes.... after 30 minutes, they cook right into the stew and you'll never know they were there.

so this time i'm adding them whole cause i like them, and there's hardly any, when you consider how much meat is in that pot.

i think i'll add some chopped apples next time, too... that would work.

can't imagine anything that wouldn't.

yes, this is enough to feed everyone you you know for quite some time.

it only gets better with age, so leftovers are good.

serve with beer or wine, and bread.

done.

Edited by cindy

macaroni and cheese

couple ways to do this... this is the one I like best.

undercook a pound or so of macaroni, while you're preparing everything else.

cube or crumble or shred a couple lbs of cheese.

I like a mix of very sharp cheddar, American (the blocks of cheese the govt used to give away was the best Mac and cheese cheese... don't know if that's around anymore but it was one of the highlights of my childhood), and muenster, for the creaminess. use whatever you want.

when the macaroni is barely cooked... like, crunchy is fine... butter it lightly, and season well with black pepper, then stir the cheese into it and spread it out in a 13x9... ok, maybe a 15x10, and if you're a fan of crispy brown edges, the bigger the pan, the better.

beat four to six eggs, whisk in about a quart of milk.

pour that over the macaroni and cheese, shaking the pan to settle it. add extra milk if necessary to come almost to the top of the macaroni but not quite.

you can add extra shredded o grated cheese on top. your call.

bake at 400 to 425 (or at whatever temperature anything else you're baking needs... you cook it longer at low temps, shorter at high, no big deal).

bake until set, and golden brown.

let it cool at least ten minutes before cutting into it, so the custards cheesiness solidifies.

this is awesome the first time, but it's even better reheated by thin slices, on a slightly greased griddle, until crunchy brown all over ...

you can take a good thing too far and add ham or veggies but... don't...

though its the best side dish or baked ham, srsly.

macaroni and cheese, stovetop or baked

this is the way most ppl make Mac and cheese, and it's nice because you don't need an oven.

cook a pound of macaroni. if you're not baking it, cook it al dente, if you are,undercook it.

make a medium white sauce.

couple ways to do that.

you can follow the instructions on the corn starch...

or if you have more time and want a better product... though, really with the cheese as a stabilizer it will work either way... make a roux.

melt 1/4 cup (half a stick) to 1/2 cup butter, whisk in an equal volume of flour, cook a minute, and slowly whisk in a couple quarts whole milk.

if you use anything but whole milk in something you're going to boil, the milk will break, curdle... no big thing but aesthetically meh.

whisking frequently over medium heat, bring to a simmer and cook a couple minutes till thickened.

stir in up to two lbs shredded cheeses, until melted.

season with pepper and if you feel fancy a bit of dry mustard.

combine with the macaroni.

you can it i like that, all creamy and good.

or you can put it in a greased baking pan and bake in the 400 range until crispy.

Hi all. Here is the lamb shank from Monday. Ifanyone wants the recipe,I will post it. - My wife already asked me t note it down for her to share with friends and colleagues..

post-33224-0-77721000-1428815667_thumb.jpg