DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wheel

KyokushiN17

When rand and loial are in the alternate portal stone universe with selene, rand notices what appear to be contrails from aircraft. There seems to be many references that could tie the age of legends into something close to present day but maybe more advanced. Any thoughts?

My understanding of the Portal stones was that they took you to another... instance... of this world. Another possibility for this world.

But then I got confused, because how did Rand and Verin et al use one to get to Toman Head / Falme or wherever it was, in THIS version of this world?

Good question.  ( IIRC they used one to get from the vicinity of Tear to the Waste outside of Rhuidean )

Are we sure they are still on the same world?

Actually, I think Jordan just belatedly added the additional capability for Portal Stones to also take you to other places on the same world.

But, yeah.  It was sloppily done, and does create confusion as to what the Portal Stones are all about.

Thanks for the link to the other posting.  I was hoping it would be a bit longer and maybe have more ideas and suggestions.  I thought the contrails were too.  I looked up the definition, just because I had not hear that word before and this is what I found:

: streaks of condensed water vapor created in the air by an airplane or rocket at high altitudes

I might be completely off base, but didnt the flying machines of the AOL use the standing flows - or maybe that was just a guess - so would they leave contrails?

It seemed the world they went to was pretty desolated, so I wonder if they were just in a desolated part of it (like an unpopulated part)? 

If i remember correctly, they were trying to get ahead of Ingtar and Verin and the rest of them, to meet back up with them. They were following Hurin's nose as he could smell the DF's even in the version of the world they were in - perhaps he could actually smell Lanfear?

I think they were in the same place, but it was desolate, barren. I seem to remember as they were travelling, they were estimating what stood on the land they were on right now, where they would be if they were in their world.

Close.

They were actually tracking Padan Fain and the Horn.  And they had to physically move from the Stone where they entered to the one where they exited.  The Tear to the Waste thing went about like a gateway.  One second they were at the Stone near Tear and the next they were at the one near Rhuidean.

Archived