DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shaidar Haran.

Which org do you think I should join?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which org do you think I should join?

• Aiel
    • The Band of the Red Hand
    • Black Tower
    • The Illuminators
    • The Kin
    • The Kin
    • Seanchan
    • Shayol Ghul

well, SH is unboubtedly not any ordinary myrdraal. people have gone so far as to call him the super fade. in truth, yes i agree that he is special. The real dark one may have have taken a personal hand in his making or imprinted a part of himself on the mydraal. It can be seen that no can channel when they are in his vicionity, and he is prolly skilied in the use of weapons. But i wonder, the gholam cannot be killed by any form of channeling at directly at it. Does the same apply to SH, or can someone just rip up the ground underneath him or unleash balefire upon from a distance?

well' date=' SH is unboubtedly not any ordinary myrdraal. people have gone so far as to call him the super fade. in truth, yes i agree that he is special. The real dark one may have have taken a personal hand in his making or imprinted a part of himself on the mydraal. It can be seen that no can channel when they are in his vicionity, and he is prolly skilied in the use of weapons. But i wonder, the gholam cannot be killed by any form of channeling at directly at it. Does the same apply to SH, or can someone just rip up the ground underneath him or unleash balefire upon from a distance?[/quote']

Well, don't we already know that he can prevent people from channeling in his presence?

J

dunno, i think that because he can control whether a person can channel or not makes it unlikely that he could easily be killed that way. a well aimed arrow might do the trick, but i have a feeling he would be too quick for that...too powerful.

not like a gholem, but more powerful in a different way.

heres a good question;

how far from SG does his power go? i'm under the impression he is tied there, like a secretary or something.

will he figure at TG? if so, in what capacity?

dunno' date=' i think that because he can control whether a person can channel or not makes it unlikely that he could easily be killed that way. a well aimed arrow might do the trick, but i have a feeling he would be too quick for that...too powerful.

not like a gholem, but more powerful in a different way.

heres a good question;

how far from SG does his power go? i'm under the impression he is tied there, like a secretary or something.

will he figure at TG? if so, in what capacity?[/quote']

I think his restriction is that he has to return every so often, not that his power wanes at a distance.

Not really sure, though.

J

It IS unclear.

When he is observing Sam and Graendal's little charade with the Shaido, he feels a spasm of weakness telling him it is time to return to Shayol Ghul. He thinks how some way must be found to free himself from that dependence.

What isn't clear is whether any of that has an effect on his power or talents.

For what it is worth, I think that SH is in fact a fade that the DO gave a portion of His power, will, ability. He can channel something similar to the TP, ie the black light eating fire. The DO did this so he could extend a part of Himself into the world with the seals still intact. Like a boomerang is sent out, must by its own power and nature return to the throwers hand, so must SH return to the DO. While SH does have his own will and motive, is still bound to his greater essence

That would mean that he could infact be killed, while still being an extention of the DO's hand. With his abilities, he would though be almost impossible to kill, being able to not only travel by shadow, but channel to some degree. We know that he can block a channeler from reaching the source, and create some channeling abilites like the above mentioned fire

Whilst Shaidar Haran is different from other Myrdraal, possibly even a kind of avatar of the Dark one himself, I believe he can be killed.

As for his ability to block the One Power, so far we have only seen him do this to the forsaken. Also bear in mind that it wasn't so much a block as the channeler couldn't even detect the source at all. (A blocked person is aware of the source they just can't draw on it). This cold mean that Haran's ability to prevent access to the source is tied to the forsakens connection to the Dark One.

Before people mention that it's only the men that are linked to the dark One to filter out the taint, that's not quite the connection that I'm referring to (although would come as part of it for the men). I'm referring to the idea that giving their soul to the Dark One gives him (and therefore Shaidar Haran) power over them to the extent that he is able to seperate them from the source. (Ok it's actually Shaidar Haran who does it but likely he got the ability from the Dark One).

• 3 months later...

Actually, the most likely candidate from my point of view to kill SH would be Mat. I doubt that his ability to block the Power is linked to darkfriends only. RJ has all but admitted that the Dark One took at least a couple tries to get him right (the oddly humorous Fade who visited Jaichim Carridin was an early attempt) and after some perfecting, I doubt the Dark One would have left such a hole in his abilities. Mat has a power-wrought blade with which he is arguably the best hand to hand fighter among the big three. A hand short, and permanently wounded, Rand is at a serious disavantage if he cannot channel. It's hardly ironclad, but it seems like a viable possibility. Myrdraal have at least SOME tie to the Wheel, so they can be affected by ta'veren, if not as much as regular people.

I think Shaidar Haran can be killed as any other Fade/Shadowspawn.

But the fact that he can block channellers (granted we've only seen Forsaken being affected by this) either by having a special power or 'channelling' True Power, would make him more difficult to kill.

I like Majsju's idea of Fain vs Shaidar Haran !!

"I like Majsju's idea of Fain vs Shaidar Haran !!"

I think they would kill each other in such a fight but so many fun things could be imagined. I just now imagined SH in the last battle causing massive death and destruction...Matt is dispatched to handle SH but before they square off PF leaps into the fray with his dagger...PF is given a crushing blow and hits the ground. The dagger is knocked free and lands between PF and Matt. Matt eyes the dagger and feels something...is his only chance of killing SH by using the dagger? Matt and PF leap for the dagger...

SH recognizes the evil behind PF and the dagger, and takes a step back...he begins to channel the True Power...

wow

Archived