DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

After Tarmon Gaidon - who rules?

trakand_01

I've said in this post 'at the moment' - for me, 'at the moment' is the middle of book 9, just after Rand and Nynaeve have gone off to cleanse the source. Please feel free to enlighten me if I'm speaking about things which have happened since.

So after Tarmon Gaidon, what happens to the world? So many rulers have been either taken by the Seanchan, overrun by Whitecloaks or Masema, killed or otherwise incapacitated. Currently Rand 'runs' most of Randland, but his in-tray must be getting pretty full.

So what happens after TG? Either Rand will be dead or I would imagine just about ready to hand over power; I don’t think he ever intends to continue running the world, he would retire to a comfortable life with whichever of his women survive the battle (I hope this to be Min, I have long had a theory that not all 3 would survive, but with only one book left I struggle to keep to this theory). Either that or, as I've said, I think he'll die (this would be my preferred way to end the books, especially as RJ himself is gone now, I think a good final ending to the story is the best we can hope for).

So, the countries we have are;

Saldea

Kandor

Arafel

Sheinar

Cairhein

Andor

Arad Doman

Tarabon

Ghealdan

Amadicia

Altara

Murandy

Illian

Tear

Mayene

The current ruling-setup is as follows;

Saldea - Tenobia

Kandor - Ethenielle

Arafel - Paitar (Kiruna's brother)

Sheinar - Easar

Cairhein - Rand / Soon to be Elayne?

Andor - Soon to be Elayne

Arad Doman - Alsalam

Tarabon - Seanchan

Ghealdan - Alliandre / Masema

Amadicia - Seanchan

Altara - Tylin (I know from a previous re-read she's been ripped to shreds but we havent seen that yet)

Murandy - ??

Illian - Rand

Tear - Rand

Mayene - Berelain

Tar Valon obviously stays with the WT or maybe a joined-up WT/BT combination, under Egwene.

I wondered, would Rand portion the world off into three or so mini-states, giving each one to a trusted and loyal ruler / ally?

If this happened, I would envisage something like this;

Saldea, Kandor, Arafel, Shienar - all come under either Lan, although I suspect he'll die or not want the power, or Bashere / Faile / Perrin (I'm presuming Tenobia will not last).

Cairhein, Andor - all come under Elayne

Tarabon, Amadicia - Seanchan / Mat & Tuon

Ghealdan, Altara, Murandy - Logain

Illian, Tear, Mayene - Berelain (and Galad?)

Arad Doman - Tricky, seeing as we don’t know who / where Alsalam is. I thought perhaps Rand would give Arad Doman to the Sea Folk…

These are all my own musings, and I'm not for one moment saying this is what I definitely think will happen, I just wondered…

What do you guys think?

Altara - Tylin (I know from a previous re-read she's been ripped to shreds but we havent seen that yet)

Her son Beslan was crowned King.

Murandy - ??

The King of Murandy is King Roedran Almaric do Arreloa a'Naloy. He was recently able to unify Murandy under him due to playing off against the threat of the Band. It has been suggested that he is under Demandred's thumb, or is Demandred, and certainly his sudden unification of such a land combined with the fact that a unified Murandy represents a massive military asset supports that.

Ghealdan - Alliandre / Masema

Well, technically Perrin, though i dont see him interfering. Oh, and Masema's forces have been decimated so he's no longer a direct influence there.

Arad Doman - Tricky, seeing as we don’t know who / where Alsalam is. I thought perhaps Rand would give Arad Doman to the Sea Folk…

Given the Graendal is giving orders on his behalf, yet reguards Alsalam to be too ugly to be one of her pets, I'm guessing he's dead. At the very least she will have him leashed somewhere. Graendal is not the type to act without being certain.

Ghealdan, Altara, Murandy - Logain

Unlikely to my mind. Logain will take the Black Tower, but he has no claim to any of those nations, and i just really don't see it.

Saldea, Kandor, Arafel, Shienar - all come under either Lan, although I suspect he'll die or not want the power, or Bashere / Faile / Perrin (I'm presuming Tenobia will not last).

I do think he will die, but lacking that he has no claim to any of the borderland nations. We know that Perrin ultimately gains the Broken Crown, so he and Faile seem a definate for Saldaea. The rest are uncertain.

Tarabon, Amadicia - Seanchan / Mat & Tuon

Probably. Some suggest the Seanchan will be displaced into the uninhabitated lands, like the Caralain Grass and Harden. Personally i dont see it.

Illian, Tear, Mayene - Berelain (and Galad?)

Darlin is King in Tear now, and it seems likely that Mattin Stepeneos will end up King in Illian once more following Egwene's defeat of Elaida.

KABOOM! I'm sat here watching the ashes of my theory rain down around me...  ;)

So poor old Berelain, who has worked so hard and skillfully on behalf of Rand, gets nothing but little ol'Mayene?

I have a lot of respect for Berelain, I think she has either been (purposefully) misrepresented, or has been branded a floosy for the wrong reasons. Up until Faile's disappearance I agree, she was flirting with Perrin, but with no actual intentions of harming him or his relationship with Faile. She reported the ambush, she rode as quickly as possible to take the news to Perrin, when she could have delayed, told them she was captured and escaped. After Faile was taken, she did up her efforts on Perrin, but I do not believe this was her trying to 'make her move' on him now his wife had been taken. I think instead she is (I'm still in the middle of it) trying to divert his attentions. Rather than see him mourn his days away, hunting like a man obsessed for his wife, gradually losing himself in his grief and desperation, she is trying to keep his mind sane and the easiest way she knows is to try and divert his attentions onto her. She knows her continued flirting will make him angry, but anger is better than mourning. She is having rumours spread that they spent the night together following Faile's abduction; i'm sure this is to ensure he has something to 'do' in the camp (quell the rumours) and does not go haring off after Faile and to his death.

She has managed to keep Illian from Mayene's throat for many years - she's a skillful manipulator.

I really really want Rand to give her something to reward her.

Perin will perhaps rule Saldea Gaeldhean as a united Manetheren perhaps.

Elayne may neo care if 2 rivers goes to Manetherin as she gets Andor/Carhien.

Berelain has Mayene and perhaps Amidicia as she marries head of whitecloaks/Galad, although Senchan probably will still have Amidicia.

Darlin is King of Tear and he will marry Carolyn Damodred, IIRC. 

While the whitecloaks were the real power in Amadacia, they were not the legal rulers in any way, so Berelain hooking up with Galad would give extremely little chance of her getting any power there. And the whitecloaks are kicked out of the country now.

Beslan may be King of Altara but no one is going to dig the Seanchan out of there.

Tarabon, Amadicia, Altara will reamin under Seanchan control.

The borderlands will remain under their rulers.  Having their thrones usurped after Tg would be pretty poor payment for 3000 years of guarding the Blight Border.

Theonly land without a prospective ruler is Illian but to grab a name out of the Hat, maybe that's where Narishma will "follow after"

Illian does have a prospective ruler, since the old king is alive and well in the White Tower.

What I'm really curious about is to see what becomes of the whitecloaks. A change of attitude towards Aes Sedai seems to lure around the corner with Galad in charge, and his comment that they would have to fight side by side with Aes Sedai during TG.

I reckon some grand sacrifice on Galad's part guring the LB will lead to a surge in the Children's numbers, and also a regression back to it's religious roots.

Min's viewing of Galad show him wrapping himself in white as if donning a shroud - joing the Children leads to his death. And he always does what's right.

I think the Children may see him die saving an Aes Sedai (maybe even Elaida who's chained, neither his step brother or sister would go out of their way to save her, but Galad would think it's the right thing to do, as his mother's advisor). This leads to Galad as a martyr/saviour figure amongst the Children, with the Sedai held with respect.

As to the religious movement, this is what the children started as, and I think the world will flock towards the 'Children of the Light' after they witness the Last Battle. They have the perfect name/symbology,fervour, if they loose the violence and suspicion.

Illian does have a prospective ruler, since the old king is alive and well in the White Tower.

What I'm really curious about is to see what becomes of the whitecloaks. A change of attitude towards Aes Sedai seems to lure around the corner with Galad in charge, and his comment that they would have to fight side by side with Aes Sedai during TG.

I completely forgot about that. 

I wouldn't mind seeing the CoL completely shattered and dispersed.  They perverted their own teachings and became an authority unto themselves, requiring only an accusation, not evidence.  Even Pedron Nial, who didn't seem too bad comments about not always having time get proof before imposing sentence.  That kind of authoritarianism just grates on my nerves, even when it's fantasy.

Guest leebarr

Elanye= Andor & Cairhein

Faile & perrin= Saldea

Saechan controled land= Toun and Mat

logain  will have a crown

Guest leebarr

in Min's veiwing he had crown that pointed to glory right. Plus he is a lord by birth. Then I could be reading the viewing wrong

Archived