DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"Why We Banned Legos"

Shendare

Am I missing something here, but I always thought the plural form of lego was "lego", i.e. like sheep.

Carl and Oliver,* both 8-year-olds in our after-school program, huddled over piles of Legos.

Surely it should be piles of Lego??

It might be different in the UK, but I've always seen it pluralized as "Legos".

And the gist of this article seems to be that rich hippies with too much time on their hands found themselves a daycare center that caters to them.  It all sounds very much like the charter school I used to teach at, actually.  There was lots of talk about ethics and implicit messages.

:) Then if I ever learn to speak Danish I'll call them Lego. In English I'll call them Legos (pronounced 'legoez'), because I always have and I'm a creature of habit. :P  ;D

Interesting daycare program.

I didn't have Lego pieces (nice compromise, huh?) at my daycare.

Oh wait, we didn't go to daycare. When my mother was busy, she just tied us to the clothesline. *ponders* Does that say something about the distribution of power in our society?

:D

:) Then if I ever learn to speak Danish I'll call them Lego. In English I'll call them Legos (pronounced 'legoez'), because I always have and I'm a creature of habit. :P  ;D

Shouldn't that be American? As we call the plural "lego" in English!  :P ;) ;D

See, the scary part is, my brain actually does work like that.  Here's the City Hall in my town.

m-2150.jpg

Pretty, right?  The main entrance is at the top of the stairs.  The implicit message is that government is "over" us. You must "ascend" to engage with it. There's some visual cues to remind you of a classical temple, thereby equating the sanctity of the gods with the sanctity of government. Disabled? They have a special door for you at the bottom of the stairs. It leads to the basement.  So if you are disabled, are you "worthy" of addressing your government?

Yeah, I have too many thoughts in my head sometimes.

Guest nephitess

I totally see where your going Kath...I feel the same wheni look at that picture. I feel that way when trying to deal with any gov't department. *GURRR*

:D

Ah yes, two countries separated by a common language. According to John Cleese, we shall soon once again be a part of the Mother Country. He can add this word to his list of words we shall be required to change.  ;)

Never mind what having the handicapped access at the basement level implies. Think about the fact that when they built it, it had no provison for handicapped access and what that implies.  :)

NOooo! Not pink, Purple! *fights the sudden urge to paint the ostentatiously ugly building a nice deep shade of purple*  ;D 

Archived