DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Min and Lan?

aevogt

Min has a viewing of Lan.  It is the seven ruined towers of Malkier and "a babe clutching a sword"  obviously Lan after the Death. 

My question is this.  Why is Min haveing a viewing about something that has already happened.  Her talent doesn't work that way does it?

I know this will likely inflame all the "Malkiere is dead and Lan is on his way to join it" folks, but could this have actually been something to do with his future?  If so, what.  I highly doubt that what she was reading was simply that Agelmar was going to tell the story at the end of TEoTW.

That depends on the way you interpret them, i believe.

It's true that the Seven Towers and the babe clutching the sword are both images of events that happened in teh past, but to Lan they are still very much what drives him. These things make up what he is, and guides his actions if it weren't for Moiraine (and later Nynaeve) to keep him in check with the Bond. It's been stated more than once in the early books that he'd ride off into the Blight given half the chance to.

Since these events are things that have a great deal of influence on him, it's not very surprising that these two images would have showed up for Min to see as these would no doubt influence him the most when making decisions later on.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

Perhaps after TG the blight will receed and Lan will reclaim Malkier and rebuild the seven towers. And perhaps he and Nynaeve will have a baby boy, thus the baby with the sword.

I dont actually think that will happen, but maybe.

If it's the future it isn't a stretch at all:

Lan and Nyn have a son. He's in line to inherit his dad's position. He's taught to fight. ... Basically their son becomes a reincarnation of Lan. ie. A king without a land whose life is dominated by Malkier, the Blight and generally being death on a stick.

Personally I hope it doesn't happen. I'd like to see Lan go down in a blaze of glory.

Guest Dreadlord

If Lan dies, I want him to kill Shaidar Haran in his last fight, just as Shaidar is about to kill Rand Lan drives his sword through the Halfman (or maybe Shaidar is three-quarters?) and it should turn out to be a savage fight. If Lan dies without killing anyone significant I will be dissapointed

Mins viewings seems to be something RJ changed his mind about, since we also have Min saying she sees blood in Taims past.

Malkier is not coming back. And Lan will not kill SH.

I really hate it when people talk about the future as they know it for fact. Lan may kill SH, he may not, it was up to RJ and he has most likely left notes for Sanderson on this matter... personally I don't think SH has a likely foe who will kill him e.g the situation between Mog and Nyn where its quite likely they will face each other at the end.

Sorry for the flame, just really freaking annoys me when people flame others when the only person who can truly put down a theory is RJ/Sanderson.

p.s I may have been hypocritical, I haven't looked through all my old posts to see if I've made a definitive remark like "Lan will die" though I'm pretty sure I steer clear of comments like that.

Guest Dreadlord

I second that, I posted a theory, and last time I checked thats the whole point of this dmn web site. Which YOU are the moderator of, Majsju, if I remember correctly. Follow your own rules mate

Mins viewings seems to be something RJ changed his mind about, since we also have Min saying she sees blood in Taims past.

So do you, Majsju, or other people think that when RJ first started, that Min did have a few viewings that involved the past rather than the furture?  Then at one point he made sure that all viewings were of the future from that point on?  I do get a little confused on this one.  I brought up a few early viewings she had that I thought were definately of the past, but several people pointed out RJs answer to one of the questions of the week (I think) - where RJ stated that all of Min's viewings are of the future.  I am curious as to what others think about this.  I think RJ either made a few mistakes with this one early on or didn't have Min's ability really narrowed down until a bit later.  But I could be completely off base.

I really hate it when people talk about the future as they know it for fact. Lan may kill SH, he may not, it was up to RJ and he has most likely left notes for Sanderson on this matter... personally I don't think SH has a likely foe who will kill him e.g the situation between Mog and Nyn where its quite likely they will face each other at the end.

Sorry for the flame, just really freaking annoys me when people flame others when the only person who can truly put down a theory is RJ/Sanderson.

Of course we can not know for sure, but we can make some pretty well founded conclusions based on what we do know. In this case, Lan is just a man, however skilled a warrior he might be. SH is not only the superfade (which should make him stronger and faster than the average fade, and those are quite nasty as it is), the DO has also put part of itself in SH, which means he has some pretty wicked tricks up his sleeves. Besides, Lan is headed toewards Tarwins gap, which should keep him quite occpied.

I mean, we also do not know for sure that Olver will not be the one to kill Moridin, but we can be quite certain about it, based on what we already know.

I second that, I posted a theory, and last time I checked thats the whole point of this dmn web site. Which YOU are the moderator of, Majsju, if I remember correctly. Follow your own rules mate

You know, there is no rule against debunking theories. That is a risk everyone who posts a theory takes, that someone might shoot it down.

So do you, Majsju, or other people think that when RJ first started, that Min did have a few viewings that involved the past rather than the furture?  Then at one point he made sure that all viewings were of the future from that point on?  I do get a little confused on this one.  I brought up a few early viewings she had that I thought were definately of the past, but several people pointed out RJs answer to one of the questions of the week (I think) - where RJ stated that all of Min's viewings are of the future.  I am curious as to what others think about this.  I think RJ either made a few mistakes with this one early on or didn't have Min's ability really narrowed down until a bit later.  But I could be completely off base.

I don't know if he just changed his mind, or if he made a few mistakes. I'm leaning towards both, actually. The seven towers around Lan seems like a deliberate way to establish his past. The viewing of Taim seems more like a slip.

Does anyone have the quote of her viewing on Taim?

"Taim has blood in his past and blood in his future, but you could guess that. He's a dangerous man. They seem to be gathering images like AS....The problem is, what I can see is all blurry....Kiruna and that lot have all sorts of things around them, but they stay so close together that it all...jumbles together....It's even muddier with the prisoners....I keep feeling there is something important, if I could only pick it out. You need to know."

ACOS, Ch 2

Guest Dreadlord

Iv no objections to people shooting my theories down, it just blags when people like you act like they know what the crack is, when in reality NONE of us do till the book comes out. Your the moderator Majsju, YOU should be the one telling ME this, not the other way round. If you disagree with a theory dont just say THAT WONT HAPPEN. Give evidence or potential evidence, otherwise keep quiet

OK, we've heard both sides, maybe we should stop now before the point of the thread gets forgotten?

With Min's viewing, I wonder if she was perhaps not SEEING the blood in Taim's past; she knows it is there. Maybe she sees something which suggests that what has already surrounded Taim (blood) will continue into the future, that he will continue to be the source of bloodshed. Or perhaps the portion of the viewing which states 'Taim has blood in his past and blood in his future' means that she has seen the blood in his future, and the 'blood in his past' bit is her own addition, down to her dislike for the man?

Imagine you have come back from a school reunion where you met someone you didnt like at school, your partner / parent says 'how was it, what was Dave like?' and you reply 'he was arrogant then, and he'll be arrogant forever'.

Guest Dreadlord

Maybe the "blood in his past" bit was going off public knowledge in the books, that Taim had proclaimed himself as the Dragon Reborn. He had caused bloodshed then.

Guest Dreadlord

I think its great at how much damage Taim has done. He has split the Black Tower, and in addition has encouraged people to be scared of the Ashaman. I would like it if Taim caused more damage before he dies though

I suspect he will.

I think Taim's death will likely be one of the most anticipated deaths we see. If he dies, perhaps something else will happen to him, i dont know what.

I think that whatever happens though, he'll go down fighting, and he'll go down in flames.

I would love to see his own arrogance kill him.

OR, i'd love his last words to be "You? No!"  ;D

Taims death...Most people (including me) pretty much expects the honour to go to Logain.

But what would be hilarious would be if Mat took him out. Remember Taim sneering at swords, extremely arrogant in his belief that channeling is all you need. Then imagine his surprise when channeling all of a sudden won't do him any good ;D

How good with a sword is Logain?  We don't know he could even take Taim.  In KoD, mention is made that Logains's Deathgates are a little smaller than Rand's indicating he is not quite as strong.  In LoC, Rand comments that Taim was holding "perhaps as much as he himself could"  or words to that effect.

I personally think that Taim would give Logain a good old fashioned pants down ass whipping. 

Or perhaps a circle with Loagin and his two pretties.  That would be peotic since Taim was against the bonding of AS right from the start.  All three together would crush Taim like a bug.  Since a major theme is about disparate people learning to work together, this would fit nicely.

How good with a sword is Logain?  We don't know he could even take Taim.  In KoD, mention is made that Logains's Deathgates are a little smaller than Rand's indicating he is not quite as strong.  In LoC, Rand comments that Taim was holding "perhaps as much as he himself could"  or words to that effect.

It's quite possible Rand had not reached his full strength in LOC. After WH however, he certainly should have.

Archived