DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

To the citizens of the United States of America from John Cleese

Canukistani

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many different forms of fried potato which fall under the general term 'french fry'

There are potato wedges which tend to be thick and hand cut:

ole-6.jpg

So I submit that it is YOU in the UK who needs the lesson in frying potatoes!

Then there are steak fries which are generally thinner and cut by a press:

IMG_3150x.jpg

Then there are shoe string fries which are very thin:

6492cdfe.jpg

And ofcourse there's crinkle cut wedges, which I believe are you're standard UK definition of 'chips':

crinklecut.jpg

And plain crinkle cut:

lft_crinklefryNsteak.jpg

Then there's also waffle fries:

waffle.jpg

and my favorite curly fries:

P1000397.jpg

The ones that comes with the steak there our what we call chips...not the other wrinkly cut thingies... :D But the ones you call french fries are not steak chips, crinkle cut, potota wedges...you have different names for them...you don't call those french fries...so no lesson needed here :P :D

French Fries

French%20Fries.jpg

Chips

fish%20and%20chips%20plate%20small.jpg

they are fatter than french fries :)

And I left out tater tots and Home fried potatoes...

But, yes we generalize them all as 'fries'.  Each restaurant usually serves one type.  When you order them, you don't ask for the specific type, you just ask for 'fries'.

My mum, who's of Irish decent, serves fish and chips with the crinkle cut wedges, and those are my favorite to eat with fish.

Like Eclipse said, most places only have one or two varieties, so it's not too difficult.

If there ever -were- a place with 10 different types, they'd probably say something along the lines of "Would you like to see our fries menu? We have steak fries, thin fries, crinkle cut, shoestring, curly fries, seasoned fries, potato wedges, waffle fries, tater tots, potato slices, not to mention potatoes au gratin, baked potatoes, stuffed baked potatoes, and potato skins. Hey, Joe, any other ways we make potatoes?" "Hash browns." "Oh, right, or hash browns."

Oh my gosh, I am so hungry right now.

Right, and usually id they have a second choice, one is the default. So if you just ask for fries, you get the default variety.  Most places carry either wedges, steak fries, shoe string or thin cut AND either waffle, seasoned or curly fries.  SO if you just ordered 'fries' you'd get the former and if you specified you'd get the latter.

I'm hungry now too...

:o now that would confuse me...we usually get the choice...chips, jacket potato or boiled potatoes... :D...and if a roast dinner...roast potatoes...now those are yummy...especially the ones I cooks... ;D

So all hungry still...Oh I've just had my dinner... :D

Archived