DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Berelain and Rhuarc

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

I did a search for this, but nothing turned up.

I was just taking at look at the FAQ section of the website and noticed one asking about Berelain and her relationship with the Aiel. The "answer" was a case of "we don't know, maybe we'll find out later."

I was under the impression that Rhuarc was Berelain's father, or at least he thought he was.

I don't think it's ever confirmed but ...

1. I'm sure that a group of wise ones are talking about it and one of them comments on how Rhuarc should treat her; that if they were father and daughter he should do something about her behaviour(?). -- Not sure what book this is in.

2. The number of times Berelain is described as acting like a embarressed child/daughter around him are very frequent.

Can one of the gurus clear this one up?

Rhuarc, being all wise and experienced, in a sense takes on a guiding role that to the Aiel looks ike what a father would do for a daughter. And they think he should be either or, if he treats her like a daughter in some cases, he should always do it, or not at all.

He is not her real faher.

Rhuarc, being all wise and experienced, in a sense takes on a guiding role that to the Aiel looks ike what a father would do for a daughter. And they think he should be either or, if he treats her like a daughter in some cases, he should always do it, or not at all.

He is not her real faher.

Oh well, I liked the idea of Rhuarc running around during the war seducing noblewomen.  ::)

Berelain is also one of the few wetlanders that the Aeil Wise Ones show respect for.

See this is one of the reasons why I was unsure...

Why would they show her respect? She regularily behaves in a way that the Wise Ones would find hard to deal with ... Chasing after Rand and then Perrin.

It would seem to me that a modicum of respect might be deserved if she were the daughter of Rhuarc.

I don't buy it that they'd show respect toward her in an effort to understand Wetlander politics.

i think the wise ones respect berelain because of her tremendous sense of obligation to her people. she is willing to do anything (and probably anyone) to keep mayene safe, no matter how distasteful, or how much others look down at her.

Ive always liked Berelain, and not for the obvilous reason (hot babe in revealing clothes). shes a beautiful a young lady, a consumate politician who understands her sexuality and beauty are weapons of war and peace (no other woman has realised that in the book til faile), who is not out for any more power than she has already, and passionate. Shes the first ruler to follow rand without being taken over and haveing a sword put against her throat to do it.

what do you think those "words" Rhuarc and berelain had behind closed doors were?

Also, the customs of Mayene mirror those of the Aiel in some ways. 

Mayener Women, much like the Aiel, are more "in charge", based on the example of Berelain.  That would make the Rhuarc and the Wise Ones trake her under their collective wing, as it were. 

Additionally, Mayeners are a more open people that the rest of the West.  this is evidenced by the actions of the Mayener force that assists in the rescue in LoC.  They are on friendly terms with everyone, Aiel, Cairhienen, even though Mayene had sent troops in the Aiel war. 

For one stupid reason or another I was under the impression that Berelain tried to get Rhuarc into her bed (him being the leader of the Aiel and all) and failed miserably, and considering he sees her a daughter more than anything else, that shamed her.

Ive always liked Berelain, and not for the obvilous reason (hot babe in revealing clothes). shes a beautiful a young lady, a consumate politician who understands her sexuality and beauty are weapons of war and peace (no other woman has realised that in the book til faile), who is not out for any more power than she has already, and passionate. Shes the first ruler to follow rand without being taken over and haveing a sword put against her throat to do it.

No offense to anyone, but a woman using her sexuality (and her beauty, to a certain extent) to get her way with me is never going to earn my respect. Not in a million years. She has a brain, I have one, let's sit down together and resolve whatever needs to be resolved.

On the other hand though, I am aware that there is a breed of men that can only be swayed by sex. It works on some, but I resent the generalization that it's gonna work on everyone.

Attractiveness and sex are used everywhere, everyday. It has always been that way, and as long as humans are humans, it will stay that way. Businesses use attractive, well-spoken people to sell their products and services. The good side is it works on women as well or better than it does on men.

Good for the guys at least.... ;D

Archived