DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Liandrin

balefireruinssteaks

Something has been bugging me about Liandrin.

Firstly I was just going to write her off like Galina.  I think Galina has "gotten hers" and she probably won't be seen again.

The more I thought about Liandrin, though, the more I couldn't really figure out what was going to happen to her.  She's hidden among Suroth's servants, but Suroth has sul'dam and damane amongst her staff, doesn't she?  I can't imagine that none of the damane have pointed out that Liandrin is marath'damane.  Even though Moghedien put that crazy shield on her, the ability to channel can still be sensed.

Also, any damane surveying Liandrin would be able to see the shield and I would think they might discuss with their sul'dam a shield so intricately woven and twisted like that.  Perhaps because the shield is the way it is, no one has given thought to the possibility that it can actually be undone.

I'm just curious.

I've just read a passage toward the end of tPoD, where Rand is fighting the Seanchan down by Illian with Bashere, Ailil, Weiramon, Anaiyella etc, and it cuts to Suroth going to visit... I can't remember his name (dont have the books with me) but he's a general in the field, and he's very low Blood (it says he has just his little fingers laquered blue). She comes in with her Sul'dam, and the Sul'dam has a damane named Liandrin, with pale braided hair and a sulky pout.

So Liandrin isnt marath'damane, she is damane already.

Sorry if you're at a different stage to me and this has changed in the later books!

Liandrin was leashed briefly but also released. She was only ever controlled by Alwhin, the darkfriend sul'dam that blackmails Suroth into becoming her so'jhin. Predominately she served as da'covale to Suroth, and yes she was not leashed for those services.

Incidently we don't know that the shield was inverted--it may merely have been undetectable without specific examination, similar to Verin's compulsion.

Forgive me, we don't know if she was. Momentary brain spurt.

Alwhin is present during the meeting with Liandrin, and later discovers Seta and Renna, she then blackmails Suroth--which suggestively indicates that she is a darkfriend--and finally is killed by Liandrin.

Forgive me, we don't know if she was. Momentary brain spurt.

Alwhin is present during the meeting with Liandrin, and later discovers Seta and Renna, she then blackmails Suroth--which suggestively indicates that she is a darkfriend--and finally is killed by Liandrin.

Just because she blackmails Suroth, it doesn't mean she's a darkfriend. One can be a bad person without swearing oaths to the Shadow. As Hermione tells Harry Potter regarding Dolores Umbridge in one of the Potter books, "The world is not divided into Deatheaters and good people." And Alwhin may not have even been a bad person; she may have just been ambitious. Seanchan society being what it is, the people who advance don't often seem to do so by being warm and fuzzy.

The shield wasn't inverted because after Moghedien leaves, the other Black Sister comes in to torture Liandrin.  She looks at the shield and says "you may as well be stilled" so she can obviously see it.

I was just curious because even though Liandrin was collared she wouldn't be able to do anything being shielded, and since the shield is not inverted (other channelers can see it) I wondered why none of the damane have made a big deal about it, or at least been curious who could twist a shield up like that.

The only thing I can think of has already been mentioned, that "there were whispers of an unleashed damane in Suroth's service".  I'm curious what's going to happen to Liandrin and if her story is already over.

Just because she blackmails Suroth, it doesn't mean she's a darkfriend. One can be a bad person without swearing oaths to the Shadow. As Hermione tells Harry Potter regarding Dolores Umbridge in one of the Potter books, "The world is not divided into Deatheaters and good people." And Alwhin may not have even been a bad person; she may have just been ambitious. Seanchan society being what it is, the people who advance don't often seem to do so by being warm and fuzzy.

It does suggest it though. The Shadow is reviled even in Seanchan, and the things Alwhin witnessed, once intelligently realised as she had to do in order to blackmail Suroth, do suggest the Shadow. Hence it is suggestive.

I was just curious because even though Liandrin was collared she wouldn't be able to do anything being shielded, and since the shield is not inverted (other channelers can see it) I wondered why none of the damane have made a big deal about it, or at least been curious who could twist a shield up like that.

The only thing I can think of has already been mentioned, that "there were whispers of an unleashed damane in Suroth's service".  I'm curious what's going to happen to Liandrin and if her story is already over.

Questioning the High Blood is not something just anyone can do. Rumours can spread, but only a very select few can act on it.

Archived