DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Laughter and Tears

trakand_01

So we know that Cadsuane's intention is to teach Rand 'Laughter and Tears'. In book 7/8 (I forget which) when she meets with Sorilea, they discuss this and make a 'pact' to work together to achieve it.

They discuss that he must be taught it in order to survive. They state the difference between being 'hard', which is what Rand is now, and 'strong'.

A hard man is brittle; he will shatter when enough pressure is applied, like a hard surface.

A strong man has some give in him, but will not break under pressure. To be 'strong' Rand needs to allow some emotion in, he needs to be able to mourn, to cry and to laugh, to let it all out because keeping it all in will surely make him hard(er).

But how will they do this? Surely they have to know that more people, more women will die before the end, and Cadsuane surely knows that was the pivotal thing in making Rand hard; Moiraine.

I have always understood that Cadsuane had either had it prophesied, or had it foretold that she would be the one to teach him laughter and tears. I think Min/Elayne/Aviendha will have something to do with it, as will Tam and Moiraine, but how will Cadsuane be the one to facilitate it?

I have often wondered if somehow Moiraine's return will be linked to Cadsuane's death, simultaneous perhaps and these events restore the emotion in Rand. Maybe in order to return Moiraine, the 'finns need a swap, a permanent swap. Perhaps 'Laughter and Tears' will come from the return of Moiraine, and the death of Cadsuane?

This should be a great part of the next book, I believe it will happen when Mat, Slimeball(Perrin) and Rand all meet again.  

Slime will have Tam with him, and Mat will have Moraine.  Seeing Moraine alive I believe will shatter the list in Rands head, and knowing what we know of Rand, that will bring the laughter.  as for the tears, no idea what would make him cry at this time.  

Still that is one part I cannot wait to read!!

Another thing I wondered, is that Lews Therin spends a lot of time laughing, or crying, in Rand's head.

One of the first thing Cadsuane said to Rand was to ask him if he heard the voices yet.

Could going mad, or joining with LTT have anything to do with it? Can Rand even GO mad now he's cleansed Saidin? LTT is surely mad, but he certainly doesnt keep his emotions inside!

Now that saidin is cleansed Rand can't go any madder. Ofcourse we don't really know the true level of his insanity, because in Rands POVs he seems quite sane even with LTTs voice in his head. Then Semirhage comes and says he's insane. Ofcourse the Forsaken are known to lie. (Sorry I went a bit offtopic here  :P )

Alot of people in that world were/are mad and they could not touch saidan, so of course he could still go mad.  I realy think it will be Aliva who will finaly help Rand and Lews Therin merge, that could send Rand over the edge for sure.  I do not think he is insane yet, under alot of stress, but not insane .

It's Cadsuane. She is going to teach you something, you and the Asha'man. All the Asha'man, I mean. It's something you have to learn, but I don't know what it is, except that none of you will like learning it from her. You aren't going to like it at all.

Laughter and tears is not what Cadsuane needs to teach Rand.  She agrees with Sorilea that he needs to remember them, but Min saw something different.

It's Cadsuane. She is going to teach you something, you and the Asha'man. All the Asha'man, I mean. It's something you have to learn, but I don't know what it is, except that none of you will like learning it from her. You aren't going to like it at all.

Laughter and tears is not what Cadsuane needs to teach Rand.  She agrees with Sorilea that he needs to remember them, but Min saw something different.

That is the point I was going to bring up. Sorilea and Cadsuane agreed that Rand should be strong, not hard, but I am not sure how they are going to pull it off.

Personally I don't think Cadsuane can manage it by herself. She will need help, like Moiraine or Tam.

Oh, we will see Rand cry like a little baby when Cadsuane gives him the thorough spanking he has had coming for a long time ;D

Not gonna happen ;D

If it does, I hope she will be prepared to counter the fire he will unleash upon her person. He almost did it at one time.

Not gonna happen

If it does, I hope she will be prepared to counter the fire he will unleash upon her person. He almost did it at one time.

Unless he walks into her in the bathtub, she is prepared alright. There is a little surprise waiting for Rand if he ever attempts channeling at Cadsuane...

Oh, we will see Rand cry like a little baby when Cadsuane gives him the thorough spanking he has had coming for a long time ;D

Can't argue with that one.

He'll have to patiently wait his turn though.  I think she's going to get Semirhage blubbering as a warm up.

Rands laughter and tears can both be from the return of Moraine. He will laugh when he sees her thinking he is truely mad, but cry when he sees its for real. I also think the tears will come after a breakdown. He will have to admit that he doesnt think he is strong enough. I think that confession will occur after the others question him about Semis comments.

Rands laughter and tears can both be from the return of Moraine. He will laugh when he sees her thinking he is truely mad, but cry when he sees its for real.

That is quite possible / probably but remember - he will not recognize her because she will appear much younger like Suane and Leanne.

I think that confession will occur after the others question him about Semis comments.

Sorry but I personally do not see this happening.    The people that he keeps around already know that he is a little bit crazy - Bashere even talked about working for "another" crazy leader - a general I think.  Mostly people know that crazy or not, he is the worlds only hope.

I am refrencing the Aes Sedai mostly. Oh and Min. She has the bond and her concern grows for him. She doesnt really understand but now the cats out of the bag. They all know about LTT, maybe not specifically but they know something is up, Caddy already knows so shes out, but Nyneave and Logain and others will want the scoop and he wont hold out. I see it like this-

Nyneave- Rand was is going on with you?

Rand- Dont worry about me, I am fine.

Nyneave- Listen woolhead I have known you too long for that excuse crap...spill it!

Rand- I am FINE! Leave me be!

After the grilling of more people he will break down. Like it has been said he is too hard, therefore more likely to be broken. Teaching him laughter and tears doesnt mean he has to be tip top and ready to give in. He is a stubborn Two Rivers man. They will need to break him.

Its an assumption on our (the readers) part that has linked two different aspects.

1) Cadsuane is destined to learn Rand and the Ashaman something that will be important.

2) Cadsuane and Sorilea (and others) want to teach Rand how to laugh and cry again, this has not been foreseen though.

Sure, it would fit well if this was done in one "event", but it doesnt have to be that way. His kids COULD teach him to cry and laugh again, and Cadsuane could teach the AshaMan something entirely different for all we know.

min saw the aura that cadsuane was going to teach Rand and the ashaman something they needed to learn.

i think he will laugh and cry when he finds out hes a father. that is a generally life changing event, even for the dragon reborn. the first time he holds them, he will break down and laugh and cry

Except that, unless AMOL starts several months after the end of KOD, Elaynes babies will not be born before TG.

Hmm, I didn't know hiding behind artifacts was Cadsuane's forte

Oh my, what would she be without them?

So, Rand should throw away Callandor and the remaining Choedan Kal then?

I'm pretty sure that not all of the Asha'man have the same problem with laughter and tears that Rand has. Then again, maybe the constant struggles with saidin would make anybody thick-skinned.

Some of the Asha'man are married and bonded their wives the way Aes Sedai bond Warders, but I guess the same could be said for Rand and his harem, so there's no telling whether any of the Asha'man laugh and cry with their wives.

In any case, it's possible that the important thing that Cadsuane needs to teach Rand and the Asha'man might be different than laughter and tears.

Or Mat his Medallion?

Mat can't channel, so he gets to keep it (against any channeler). And remember it didn't prevent him from being killed.

Hmm, I didn't know hiding behind artifacts was Cadsuane's forte

Oh my, what would she be without them?

So, Rand should throw away Callandor and the remaining Choedan Kal then?

How about he uses them if she gets to keep hers? Oh, I so would love to see her without them.  ;D Just once.

I mean, I would like to see the woman behind the jewels. I am afraid she may not be as impressive as she seems.

Furthermore, it occurs to me that the meaning of the smileys I added to my previous posts was lost on you.

I WAS/AM NOT BEING SERIOUS.

;)

I'm pretty sure that not all of the Asha'man have the same problem with laughter and tears that Rand has. Then again, maybe the constant struggles with saidin would make anybody thick-skinned.

Some of the Asha'man are married and bonded their wives the way Aes Sedai bond Warders, but I guess the same could be said for Rand and his harem, so there's no telling whether any of the Asha'man laugh and cry with their wives.

In any case, it's possible that the important thing that Cadsuane needs to teach Rand and the Asha'man might be different than laughter and tears.

she might teach them humility, you have to admit, your average ashaman very arrogant

Archived