DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Taim knew how to Travel before Rand?

Osangary

Okay guys, I'm new here and havent been around long enough to know whats been deiscussed and whats not, and so if this little tid-bit has been dug up before, my apolagies... i did a quick search through topics containing Taim, but didnt find it there, though there was more topics than i was prepared to read though.

In LoC, page 109 of the UK paperback (chapter 3 A womans eyes), Rand is just introducing Taim to 'the farm', taking Taim there via travelling. My observation is this - when Rand creates the gateway he calls it a gateway, and between then and Taims line to Rand in their conversation on page 109 about finding the talent in others, Rand never once mentions what the technique is called, but Taim says 'You can Travel, but you don't know how to test for the talent?'

Any thoughts on this, or is it just me over analysing something that might just be a slip-up on Mr. Jordans part?

Thanks guys!

I can't remember the ins and outs of the scene, but I do remember him taking Taim to the Farm. I think perhaps it is either a slip up on RJ's part, or maybe it is simply that Traveling is such a well-known thing that regardless of what Rand called it, Taim knew it to be Traveling.

I dont think it necessarily means that Taim knew HOW to do it, just that he knew OF it.

On the other hand though, depending on who Taim is working for, it's quite possible that he DID know how to do it before Rand showed him; I think all of the forsaken have demonstrated their abilities in that field.

Welcome, by the way! ;D

Thanks for the welcome. I'm reluctant to think anything dealing with the power is well known in randland, except by the forsaken and aes sedai, especially not by a man... but i see your point about Taim being exposed to it by a forsaken.

It is probably nothing, but as I read through the books again i am constantly coming across small things like this and wondering if they are forshadowing events, for example in the first or second book nynaeve is thinking to herself about a missing limb not being able to be Healed any more than stilling... It's things like that which keep me coming back to read the books again and again becasue there is always something new!

God bless Mr. Jordan for this world he has given us

Indeed, Welcome to the site mate.

It seems unlikely to me that Ishamael would have allowed Taim to learn the Traveling weave--it represents to much power for the individual, and for the Shadows initial purposes with Taim--at least as far as we can guess--being, the finding and training of men that could channel to be Dreadlords, its not nessasary.

He may well have overheard the use of the term--indeed, it fits with his absortion of Forsaken mannerisms, and his lack of training in that area fits his reaction--but besides which, Taim seems well educated and the knowledge of the fact that Aes Sedai used to Travel is somewhat known.

Welcome Osangary!

This also stood out to me on one of my re-reads.  I do think Taim already new about Travelin and must have either know about it from one of the foresaken (known they could do it) or have been taught to Travel by one of the foresaken.  I think he is surprised that Rand new how to Travel and not other things as well.  The knowledge of Traveling and other lost weaves isn't even known to a lot of Aes Sedai, so it makes me very suspicious that Taim would know the word "Travel".  I would think he would be shocked and surprised by what Rand did and would just mimic what Rand called it, if he did not know how to do it or what it was. 

It's extremely unlikely that Taim knew how to Travel. Bashere hunted him all the way to Caemlyn, Taim went through enough struggles on that journey to get so travelworn that Rand thought he was almost ten years older than he actually is. Why go through all that if he could just have Travelled to wherever he wanted?

Taim does seem to be well educated, constantly popping out old tounge titles and ranks, so it is likely that his education included mention of Traveling, weather it came from legitiment sources or Ishameal, and in either case it almost certainly did not include the weave, although Ishameal may have taught him the weave with restrictions similar to those imposed on Alvairin by Messaana.

I believe that Taim knew of traveling, but not HOW to travel.  I think he says that line about Rand knowing how to Travel, but not knowing the test as a way to demonstrate how erratic Rand's knowlege of the power is.  To Taim, any old sucker could know how to test for the ability to channel, which doesn't take much of the power.  Knowing how to travel and having the power to do so would be a great step up.

I liken it to knowing how to make lasagna without knowing how to make a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich.

I think you guys give Taim too much credit. He is not a chosen. Therefore a chosen,I would think, would not allow him the knowledge to travel. It is easy to change gateways to a more streamlined term of traveling since thats what your doing. Its not like he blurted it in the old tounge. However I do see his place as the highest ranking df channeler not of the forsaken to have some level of knowledge of past abilities, but I think this perticular thing is only counsidence.

Aye, welcome to the site. Always room for more WOT lovers.

I certainly dont think that Taim calling it Traveling was a mistake but RJ, and i dont think he did so because the term Traveling is well known. I certainly dont remember anyone from the current age talking about Traveling except for when Morainne says that no Aes Sedai has been able to do it in a really long time.

I also dont think Taim knew how to Travel, but i do think he know what Traveling was. I believe that Taim is a Forsaken tool and im sure that when Ishi or Demo came to get him they traveled. And by inverting the weave Taim could not see it thus not learn it.

My point is that he at LEAST knew of "Traveling", which indicates to me he knew it could be done by means of knowing the foresaken he is working with/for could do it. 

People are really starting to grasp at anything they hope will connect Taim to a Forsaken.  Traveling was considered a lost Talent because no one remembered how.  The hadn't forgotten what it was called or that people used to be able to do it.  The fact that it was considered a lost Talent is enough to show people still remembered what it was.

Seriously people, is it so hard to believe that Taim simply made the gateway a simpler term, called traveling???? Thats all it is really. Pure coincidence that it is also an old term. Now if he just showed up and told Rand, Hey you should figure out how to travel!

Travel is also a pretty common term. It stands to reason that he would use that to describe the gateway and its purpose.

Okay guys, I'm new here and havent been around long enough to know whats been deiscussed and whats not, and so if this little tid-bit has been dug up before, my apolagies... i did a quick search through topics containing Taim, but didnt find it there, though there was more topics than i was prepared to read though.

In LoC, page 109 of the UK paperback (chapter 3 A womans eyes), Rand is just introducing Taim to 'the farm', taking Taim there via travelling. My observation is this - when Rand creates the gateway he calls it a gateway, and between then and Taims line to Rand in their conversation on page 109 about finding the talent in others, Rand never once mentions what the technique is called, but Taim says 'You can Travel, but you don't know how to test for the talent?'

Any thoughts on this, or is it just me over analysing something that might just be a slip-up on Mr. Jordans part?

Thanks guys!

Peace be with you, and well-met! Actually, Osangary, that was one of the things I pointed out in my thread about the Forsaken(read that thread not unless thou hast completed KoD, Young Bull.) What really stood out to me, though, in that scene you picked, Taim was staring at Rand, not at the gateway. Coupled with him knowing the name of the Talent....I found this a highly suspicious combination.

Again, welcome and it's nice to meet a new topic maker.

Seriously people, is it so hard to believe that Taim simply made the gateway a simpler term, called traveling???? Thats all it is really. Pure coincidence that it is also an old term. Now if he just showed up and told Rand, Hey you should figure out how to travel!

Travel is also a pretty common term. It stands to reason that he would use that to describe the gateway and its purpose.

SERIOUSLY! Please at least address why you think this is not simple coincidence! This is quite maddening. You all want this to be this hidden message and I just dont think it is. Prove me wrong so I can apologize and put this baby to rest. Thanks

A Man using the Power and naming the Traveling weave is too much of a coinsidence.  If this were one of the female Aes Sedai, I could see one of them seeing the gateway and naming it "Traveling", but I don't think even the all the Aes Sedai are familar with the lost talents.  When Nyn and El have Moggy captive, they try to get her to show them how to weave some of the lost talents from the AOL, but they can't even decipher what the names for some of the Talents actually mean. And this is with a foresaken that Knows the weaves. Taim knows what Traveling is, because he has seen it before. 

I think safwd made a could point when he said:

"I also dont think Taim knew how to Travel, but i do think he know what Traveling was. I believe that Taim is a Forsaken tool and im sure that when Ishi or Demo came to get him they traveled. And by inverting the weave Taim could not see it thus not learn it."

I originally entered this post thinking Taim did know how to Travel, but I am more toward believing the statement from safwd.

Archived