DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Where does the White Tower get all their gold?

The Lost One

I can't remember if this has been discussed before, but the White Tower seems to have an endless supply of gold.  Where do they get it from?  What are their sources of income?  Is it just old money?  They pay their Aes Sedai, servants, guards, etc, plus they seem to have enough for lots of other things - travel, supplies, buildings, seafolk porcelain, food, clothing, etc.

Where is all this money/gold coming from?

I would think they would be more than bankrupt by now.

RJ addressed this, perhaps in the blog? The gist was selling AS services/counsel and perhaps taxes on Tar Valon?

I remember him saying something to that effect. Tar Valon is apparently on a major trade route and that allows them to collect a good bit of money in fees and taxes. I've also assumed they have investments abroad, possibly under false names, and they have accounts earning interest with various banking houses. Keep in mind, the Tower was built not too long after the breaking and is 2500 to 3000 years old. Interest builds over time and, with proper management and the aes sedai talent for scheming (I'm assuming they have no scruples as far as insider trading is concerned), the pile of gold on which they're sitting should have grown significantly over time, especially as the number of heirs/aes sedai has dwindled. As nations have fallen over the centuries, the aes sedai may also have "liberated" what they could carry in terms of treasure and art from the ruins--just to keep the art works safe and preserve them for posterity, of course.

They are also the first and most stable bank in post breaking Randland.  Ever notice how old companies always make money, and the older folks are the ones likely to have money to throw around?  Imagine an Aes Sedai getting in on the ground floor of apple, microsoft, google.  Then imagine them doing it over the course of the last 3,000 years.

Elaida probably has a room dedicated to her Treasure Bath ala Dom Deluise

I was thinking along those lines as I was driving to lunch earlier. Like the Roman Catholic Church, part of the reason the Tower has what it has in terms of buildings, art, books, artifacts and such is that they've gradually acquired it over not just centuries but millenia. Some of the cathedrals took two or three hundred years to finish because they kept running out of money. Trying to buy and build everything the Church has, exactly as it is, in one fell swoop with today's prices for labor, materials and art/antiquities would be impossible for any organization or government. Same with the Tower. They have a huge plant (meaning the Tar Valon facility, I don't know what they might have outside of town) with more space than they can begin to use now that Aes Sedai numbers have dropped so low. Despite that, here is Elaida building what is perhaps the largest palace east of the Aryth Ocean. And the crazy woman is expecting to get it finished in the near future and is frustrated at how long it's taking. And this with wars and rumors of wars everywhere and Tarmon Gaidon coming on and the city under seige. If I had any hair left, the fiscal stupidity and historical and practical ignorance on display would make me pull it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived