DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Black and White cords

kilika

Since tEotW there are very few mentions of these cords that connect people to the power and to the dark one.  The only refernece i can really find is when rand cuts asmodeon off from the dark ones security in rhuidian(sp?) but even then he doesnt actually SEE the cord like he does in the first book he just KNOWS where it is to be found. 

Anyone have any views on why RJ decided to stop us 'seeing' these cords in the later books.

Cheers

Well that cord was used to protect the Male Chosen from the dark ones taint, the last time it is referenced that i remeber was, when Rand and Asmodean had their fight at Ruininden? *spell* That was realy the last time Rand got up close and personel with one the Chosen.  That would be my guess as to why they were not referneced again.

I suppose that he hasn't got up close and personal with the chosen since then.  He has either killed them from a far with balefire or on the run (rahvin) or some1 else has killed them (moraine) and he may not be able to see lanfear’s or semherag's(sp?) because they are female.

BUT in tEotW Rand himself has a smaller white cord that extends from behind him and this has never been mentioned before since then, i just find it strange, like RJ just decided to stop running with the idea. 

Also he comes across some of the forsaken in disguise over the series and never sees anything - even when the openly channel in front of him (I’m thinking of the crossing balefire incident in shadar logoth).

And why can only Rand see these ties to the dark one? And I assume his own is to the creator? But the black cords of the male forsaken (do the female forsaken even have them?) protect them from the taint on the male half of the true source – as is the case when assmodean’s is severed, so y does rand have a white one?  If it links him to the creator it doesn’t shield him form the taint so what is its function? And what would happen if it was severed?

Just some thoughts.

Rand's white cord connected him to the Eye of the World.  He had to fight it away from one of the Forsaken. 

I think Rand's ability to see it is a rare Talent.  I also think it's only possible in certain circumstances, like while Skimming or near SG or something.  I don't remember the exact circumstances of when he sees them, but I don't think he's ever seen the black cords in regular Randland. 

Ah i forgot that it connected him to The Eye - cheers  :D

And i suppose it could be a rare talent. 

It just seems very odd that this whole buisness with cords happened over a few chapter at the end of tEotW and then nothing since then.

Maybe he could see the cords BECAUSE of his connect to The Eye of the World? and hence hasn't been able to see them since.

Did RJ ever comment of the cords at all? 

Would be nice to see his take on them.

Cheers

The female chosen need no protection from the taint, they wield Saidar not Saidan.  As for what happened in Shadar Logoth, Ishy used the true source, so again no need to protect form Saidan. I realy can not say why he did not see it on anyone else, could be it has to be at a pivitol battle.

*shrugs* 

Never realy gave it alot of thought, but you do make a great point, maybe someday we will know for sure.

My guess is he can't see them in Randland. He has only seem them in T'A'R and that dimension between dimensions that skimming takes him through. But, its only a guess and I have no real evidence to back it up, besides that these are the only times he has seen them, and I'm not even sure he ever saw Asmos when he skimmed after him...

I would have to go through the book again, but I'm pretty sure that the Rand vs. Asmodean fight over the little-man ter'angreal which allows you to wield the opus magnum Sa'angreal was not decided in the Skimming realm. They were both wrestling over the little statue when Rand used the fat man figurine to break Asmodean's ties with the DO.

So the questions raises again: Why didn't he see those cords again, particularly in Shaddar Logoth when he meets Moridin?

As was already stated, Rand never saw them when in the real world.

He had not seen those strange strings like black steel wires around Asmodean since leaving the dark place, but he could visualize them even in the Void, place them in his mind around the Forsaken.  Tam had taught him the Void as an aid to archery, to be one with the bow, the arrow, the target.  He made himself  one with those imagined black wires...

The Shadow Rising Chapter 58, The Traps of Rhuidean, Page 674

additionally, the white cord that we see attached to Rand in TEOTW was his connection to the pool of Saidin that was kept at The Eye, specifically for him to use. He was literally drawing from that pool while he was channeling and when it was gone, the pool was emptied b/c he had used up all of the "liquid" saidin.

I think the female Forsaken also have the black wires, they served more than one purpose, they were what kept the Forsaken from aging, Asmodean comments in FoH (I think) about how he can almost feel time dragging at him now. Or something to that effect.

I think the female Forsaken also have the black wires, they served more than one purpose, they were what kept the Forsaken from aging, Asmodean comments in FoH (I think) about how he can almost feel time dragging at him now. Or something to that effect.

Than how do you explain Aginor and Balthamel? if this cord protects them from aging, how did they age? There is no proof what so ever that the Chosen are now immortal.  They are promised imoratalty, but since those two aged, we can safley assume that at this time, they do not have it. 

All of the Chosen would be considered middle aged, as we all know the Great Lord of the dark makes all kinds of promises, does anyone realy beleive that he will truly offer all of the freinds of dark imorrtalty?  I mean if he intends to remake the world, what need does he have of humans?

That is one of the things that has always bothered me, anyone with brains would know the great lord will never fulfil any promise he made to anyone.

Than how do you explain Aginor and Balthamel? if this cord protects them from aging, how did they age? There is no proof what so ever that the Chosen are now immortal.  They are promised imoratalty, but since those two aged, we can safley assume that at this time, they do not have it.
They were over 3,000 years old - I'd say Shai'tan was extending their lifespan, if not their youth. So, you could say there is evidence of immortality right there.

All of the Chosen would be considered middle aged, as we all know the Great Lord of the dark makes all kinds of promises, does anyone realy beleive that he will truly offer all of the freinds of dark imorrtalty?  I mean if he intends to remake the world, what need does he have of humans?
Will he offer it? Yes, why not. Will he deliver? Who knows. But what does remake the world in his image mean? And if there is only one shot at immortality, would you take it? If that is what they want, He is the only path to it.

That is one of the things that has always bothered me, anyone with brains would know the great lord will never fulfil any promise he made to anyone.
How would they know? And how else can they achieve what they want?

I think Rand's ability to see it is a rare Talent.  I also think it's only possible in certain circumstances, like while Skimming or near SG or something.  I don't remember the exact circumstances of when he sees them, but I don't think he's ever seen the black cords in regular Randland.
He never sees them in regular Randland. But why do you think it is a rare Talent? Who else could reasonably be expected to have seen them?

Archived