DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Help me name my son...

Singin Hobo

His middle name anyway... my wife isn't too keen on 'Rand' which is what I've been pushing for for the past few months.  I've introduced quite a few of my friends to the series and my sister and brother-in-law are all on board for it, but since none of them get to make the decision I've not had much luck.

I'd like a name from the series and I want it to be somebody of at least SOME significance (no random villagers)... I've also struck out with Lan, and Perrin... it's at least got to be close to normal for her to bite on it, but I also want it to be obvious that it's got some outside significance.  I know the parameters are stringent, but this is what I've got to work with :(

Any ideas?

Matrim, perhaps?  ;D

The name Sebban is nice, too. (Balwer's first name). It's similar to Sebastian..which according to babynames.com means venerable (definition: venerable adj. profoundly honored : "revered holy men").  ;D

*Is looking through the glossary of each book  ;)*

Artur? Artur Hawking, that is.  :)

Gawyn?

Galad, maybe? And, yet again I have looked at babynames.com and the name Galad is similar to Galahad. Which means: Pure, noble and selfless.

Sorry if you didn't want so much detail from the names...what can I say? I just love names.  :D

Elyas

Logain

Lews (Therin Telamon)

Ewin (Finngar)

Floran (Gelb)

Jasin (real name of Asmodean)

Jain (Farstrider)

Brend (Sammael in Illian)

Pedron (Niall)

Petra (the strongman)

Olver

Tomas (warder of Verin)

Artur (Hawkwing)

Sammael

Luc

I know someone with a name that's one form or another of each of those.

I think "Lews" would be quite a risk, though. Naming your son after someone who killed everyone he loved, ...

For gods sake go with a normal name! If I was at school and found out a bloke had a name based on a fantasy character, Id hassle the crap out of him!

Unless his name was Frodo  ;)

Well, it IS just a middle name... just a fun little homage.  And I am considering what kids could say about him (which is why Gawyn is out... sorry, but I can't give my kid a name with g, a, and y anywhere in there) but I'm also considering how cool it would be to have a sweet name like Rand.  I actually grew up with a kid whose middle name was Strider and I always thought that was pretty awesome.

I'd think Logain would be a fairly common, normal name, I have a cousin named Logan though i can't remember if that's how its spelled or not.

I had a friend named randy a year or so ago if that helps for pushing the idea.

Well, if you decide to use the full version instead of shortening it, you could make it Randall, an honorable name (from "rand + wulf", or "shield + wolf"), and not over-used.

Randolph is another option from the same origin, but a bit too close to Rudolph (the Red-Nosed Reindeer) or Adolf ('nuf said) in my opinion.

Yeah, she just hates the name Rand, so Randy and Randall is also too late (already tried).... my friends have even threatened that if his middle name (known by practically nobody) isn't Rand they'll just call him Rand... whereas if his middle name IS Rand they'll call him by his first name and the nightmare will be over for her.

I have always thought that TurboLumberjack MacGuyver would be a great name for a boy.

She also turned down Batman Snarf (which struck me as unreasonable), but I'll give Turbolumberjack MacGuyver a shot.

Edit: That didn't work

My wife's name is Brandy, and I even made her a lovely little image to show her how neat it would be to take the heart of her name and give it to our son... that didn't work either

bRANDy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

whats the first and last name.  assuredly you want a good flow to the three names.

but needless to say Davram is cool, or Gaul, or even, dare i say it, Demandred.  he could be 'The Demander' sort of like 'The Decider' only more forceful, and hopefully more intelligent.

or you could go with a characters last name like Aybara or Taim.

or how about Rigney...why oh why isnt that name in the sites dictionary?  its one thing to not include all of the character names, but geez.  i guess there is a g and a y, but no a.  that has to count for something.

If i ever have a son, of which i doubt, I will intend on naming him Urza.

Oz, its the parents responsibility to make their child's life as miserable as they will soon make the parents.

Yeah Davram is a good name. Perrin too, they sound kinda normal but not completely.

Pitty Turbolumberjack Macguyver didn't catch on, the kid would would grow up to be awesome! ;D Taking out terrorists with missles made from tree-trunks, leaves, bits of dead animals and chewing-gum.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived