DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The prisoner / captured count

TwoRiversWI

well lets see elayne  and nynaeve together got captured three times egwene twice with them and once alone  and elayne got captured  an  additional time. that  doesnt seem bad for  3 accepted  who  got  the  job of hunting black sisters with  little training  and no  army  at their backs, i  was surprised that  someone didnt die tbh. the one capture of elanye was foolishness  or maybe rashness on her part  resulting in every  aes sedai with her at the  palace dying and  egwenes last capture was when she was when she was floating  alone on a river.  its make sense  that they  got captured it followed well with the storyline. i cant recall anymore  instances of  capture for them  and the only non super girl  capture  was  faile.

the guys for the most part  like at the  beginning were  being protected by  super aes  sedai  Moirane  and  later  had  ashaman and  armys  at their  beck and call  different situations .  O rand was captured twice  but both times was because he  was trying to be covert or  people were so used to  him  trying to be covert they  didnt notice he was captured  for a  bit, like when  elaidas aes sedai  grabbed him.

Did anyone find anything wrong with that by the way? him being captured and spirited away so easily? the way i see it, that is a major failing on the maidens' part. and to top it off, when he goes to war and he doesnt bring them, they beat him up for it. Can you Effing believe that? they fail miserably by letting him get kidnapped and held hostage for so long and then kick his ass over him not using them. That whole scene should have been different in my opinion.

Does Tylin's "capture" of mat count? it seems to me it is close as can be to being kidnapped. After all, she wouldnt let him eat when he didnt dow hat she wanted, and she wouldnt let him leave either, so yea that counts right? And the same thing happened with the white tower when they cured him of the dagger. It isnt exactly kidnapping but it seems to me its real close.

Perrin and Egwene got taken by the whitecloaks. Egwene got taken by aes sedai, by the seanchan and i think maybe by some of those ruffians working for that myyrdrall who was going to buy them. i think that was when they first met aviendah.

RJ seems quite happy to use being captured as a tool to move the plot forward, or to tie up loose ends.

Faile being captured - Perrin establishing a connection with the Seanchan that now is based on mutual respect. The Shaido ceasing to be a threat to Randland. Tam brought back to the story. Galad closing in on them, which opens up for Morgases cover being blown.

Elayne, Egwene and Nynaeve captured in Tear - Two captured BA, Elayne and Nynaeve set on the path to Tanchico.

If Mat being "captured" by Tylin counts, him rescuing the Aes Sedai from the Seanchan, and of course, him meeting Tuon.

Egwene captured by Elaidas minions - Setting Egwene in the perfect situation to undermine Elaida, as well as being in the right place when the Seanchan attacks.

Elayne captured in KOD - The last of Liandrins gang captured. The siege of Caemlyn broken, and Elayne getting the crown.

And on. A quite simple plot device that can solve so much.

I don't think Mat was captured in a strict sense, unless you consider him to have been captured between a rock and a hard place.  The way I read it, Mat could have left the palace at any time had he felt that he could have done so without abandoning the girls or his gold.  He also had the dice stop on him for no apparent reason when he moved to the palace, and I think that Mat had a notion that were he to have moved out of the palace without finding out why the dice had stopped, it would have been pretty bad.  That's just my opinion though.

Archived