DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The character I am most disappointed in.

aevogt

I have to admit, the character that I dislike the most has to be Mat.  I read through this whole thread, and I disagree with most of you guys, however I'm only half-way through book 7 so I might not have the same perspective.

Reasons Mat disgust me:

* His dislike for Aes Sedai and the One Power in general is all driven from ignorance.  One might argue his distrust and dislike of women fall into the same category, but whatever he seems to like to 'cuddle' so who knows. 

* The character is drawn as a gambler and a dimwit and although he's been given incredible gifts from the arch in Rhiudien he's still a dumb simpleton who is driven my impulse rather than any form of a goal. The character doesn't seem to evolve while the rest of the primary characters do through the story.

* He has zero respect for anyone else.  He's arrogant, foolish and frankly beyond his gifts couldn't work his way out of a brown paper bag.

* He makes incredibly dumb decisions and refuses to accept anyone elses opinion about anything.  His distrust is all rooted in superstition and nonsense.  I just don't have patience for those kind of people I guess.

Beyond that, I'd have to say I like Perrin.  I like his values.

Rand and Perrin's chivalrous attitude about women annoy me frankly.  Both of their attitudes about sending women into battle or killing women are kind of a stretch in any context, but I'm bearing with it.  Those character traits almost feel like a shallow attempt at stretching out the storylines.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the time you have finished the completed book, you may feel, like most, that Matt is the most developed character that has grown the most.  He is in total command of his army and can plan a battle in a heartbeat.  He is loved by his soldiers.  He is a man of duty that does what he must even though he would rather not.  He likes to have fun, but has grown far past the neer do well trickster into the solid citizen leader we have all (most) come to know and love.  I have no doubt with Matt there to help guide Tuon that the new and improved Seanchan (less restrictive, cruel and rigid) will become the the most dominant force in the planet.

I'm seriously disappointed in Moghedien.

I think it's because I haven't really seen her Spider anyone like she is reputed to have done in the wars.  She's CHOSEN!!!  I hope she gets her soul back and really does something amazingly bad.

I'm also seriously disappointed in Galina - she should have taken that Oath Rod and LEFT, not hung around so she could get caught.

As far as the good guys, I guess I'm disappointed in Elayne.  No matter how her character develops I just don't like her in general.  I think Perrin could really do more than he does as well especially considering he can talk to freakin' wolves!!! 

But oh well.  I guess if I lived in Randland I might not be any better.

Nynaeve for me. Her attitude is grrrrr! She gets herself into trouble and expects other to come and rescue her, wont even think about thanking them afterwards. I hate her whole provincial attitude, as if to say the whole world should be like the Two Rivers; rural, backward and so dull the sheep get bored. She finds faults in every other person, but believes herself to Lil Miss Perfect.

In defense of Nyneave, she develops very well.  She starts as backward but thinking she's the light made flesh in book one to the woman who does what she needs to in book 11.  To slriv Mat what to rescue the wonder girls from the stone of tear in book 3 when he had no ter'angreal and no memories, just luck and taveren.  He knew there were black ajah there and he went anyway but did they thank him for getting them out of somewhere they could not.  No, they acted like he was interfering with them.

Archived