DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Survival rates for WT ter'greal

Shaidar

AFAIK, the survival rate for the ter'greal used to test for Accepted (the 3 arches) is 25%.

Though I haven't read the prequel (yet!) I seem to recall hearing that it's a similar % for the ter'greal with columns that has the 100 tests used to raise Accepted up to Aes Sedai.

1. Is this accurate?

2. Isn't it quite stupid to effectively cull about 15/16 of your potential strength? and what's the point?

I'm afraid you don't remember correctly.  The Accepted arches ter'angreal does not kill 3/4 of the women who enter it.  I'd be interested to know where you got that idea from.

The test for the shawl also does not have a kill rate that high.

Only 1/4 of the women who have the spark and try to teach themselves to channel survive.  Thats the only "1/4 survival rate" I can think of.

The Black Tower has a 1 in 10 death rate because they force all the students, and the Aes Sedai would be appalled by that death toll.

AFAIK, the survival rate for the ter'greal used to test for Accepted (the 3 arches) is 25%.

Though I haven't read the prequel (yet!) I seem to recall hearing that it's a similar % for the ter'greal with columns that has the 100 tests used to raise Accepted up to Aes Sedai.

1. Is this accurate?

2. Isn't it quite stupid to effectively cull about 15/16 of your potential strength? and what's the point?

I don't mean to give a spoiler, so I won't name names, but it's just the opposite in the prequal. 4 women are tested for AS and only one doesn't come out. On the other hand, for the short time events are taking place in the Tower, I think more than 10 or 15 Novices are "put out" with out testing for Accepted (don't remember how many test, if any). I'm all with Egwene's thoughts about the Tower making the mistake of cutting loose too many women. I understand the need for AS to be strong in themselves, but how much potential has been lost because those deemed unworthy are simply let go?

Archived