DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Communication

Daedallus

I'm on my second read-through of the books. And my one biggest criticisim of the entire series is that the 5 origionals from Emonds Field got stupid somewhere along the way.

Its been 2 years, max, since they left the two rivers, and none of them are honest, trust, or talk to each other like childhood friends. I just got through Lord of chaos again. How much simpler would the entire salidar/band of the red hand debacle have been if Egwene had simply talked to Mat as if he were anything but a dog.

or Rand and Egwene. so much BS about how hes getting harder and not showing respect ect on egwene's part. less than a year ago, she was going to marry the man. None of it even makes sense to me. its like they were all strangers. especially the male/female conversations.

and things in the series are always changing I mean things are hardly as they were when they were growing up, Rand is the Dragon Reborn the weight of the whole dang world is on his shoulders, Perin is a Wolfbrother now and is married, Mat is the Prince of Ravens now and i know he wasn't until recently but seriously the whole world is on the tip of a sword their bound to be nervous

and Rand shuns everybody except Min, Av, and El so its not really surprising

the whole world has turned upside down for these guys

Guest leebarr

You have to remember they are from the two rivers, they are know for being stubborn. When you are thick headed like that you beleave you are right and everyone else is wrong.

How much simpler would the entire salidar/band of the red hand debacle have been if Egwene had simply talked to Mat as if he were anything but a dog.

So what do you think of Mat trying to "rescue" Egwene and Elayne from the AS? He pretty much laughed in Egwene's face when she told him she was the Amyrlin Seat. He kept thinking how he was supposed to rescue them.

Another major theme in the series in lack of communication. Everyone is at fault for it.

Its been 2 years, max, since they left the two rivers, and none of them are honest, trust, or talk to each other like childhood friends.

People change, look how far all of them have come in the past two years. None of them are the same people that they used to be.

One last thing that I have never understood. Why do people give such grief to the female characters? Is it because they are all such strong willed and minded people? I guess its easier for me to put myself in the WOT world. Women have ruled for the last 3000 years, that will cause women to be very outspoken and straightforward. Speaking for the AS anyway. They push people forward and expect people to do as they say because they have for the last 3000 years.

I guess I just think people need to put themselves in the WOT world and try to see everything from that perspective.

From my own perspective, people give the females of the series grief because they deserve it. They are all completely unreasonably superior all the time.

Egwene for sucking up to every female power figure she sees up to lord of chaos, and then becoming worse than her mentors. at the expense of her friends and the boys she grew up with. within the space of one novel, she went from wondering how she could ever marry Rand, to acting like a 300 year old aes sedai playing the game of houses in all her dealings with the man.

Nynaeve is just unlikeable, a coward hideing behind a bluff exterior who believes Everyone int he world is out to put her down a notch. Helloooo Nyn... i'm sure the women's circle will get over you being just a young girl eventually.

Elayne.... insipidness knows no bounds.

Actually as of late, I find Nynaeve quite likeable.  The most likeable among the women in fact.  The problem is that the rest of the women are all retards.  Straight up.  Egwene's trying to do a repeat of the last time LTT sealed the bore and the female aes sedai were too stubborn to help.  That might be a good thing judging from what happened to the males, but who knows they may have done better if the females had helped.  He is the freaking Dragon Reborn.  Help him out you short bus riding Aes Sedai!

Nyneave is getting better, after all if she were a bitch like Egwene then Rand and every other Asha'Nan, including Dr. Flynn, would go mad.  She made the Cleansing possible and that scene at the end of KOD was incredible.  Elayne is an 18-year old queen, she will learn.  I have no sympathy for Egwene, she grew up with Rand but now she wants to do what Eliada wants.  She's young enough that she shouldn't have caught AS sydrome so fast and she trained with the wise ones and she loved Rand.  She should know better.

Rand is the Dragon Reborn and he is afriad of AS.  They, with the exception of Nyneave, have given him nothing to counter his fear.

Yes Mat tries to resue Egwene but he shows her respect before he goes to Ebu Dar and she throws it in his face.  She also keeps Thom away from him but if she hadn't it would have probably benefitted her.  Again, she is a bitch

Perrin is just an idiot, period.

i do somewhat agree wwith the above statement. Though I do however think that Nynaeve is the most well rounded character  of them all. If only because she seems to be the only person who knows she is flawed and recognizes her mistakes.

From my own perspective, people give the females of the series grief because they deserve it. They are all completely unreasonably superior all the time.

Not ALL the time. It may seem that way sometimes, but Nynaeve helping cleanse the source was a high point.

Elayne is pregnant and trying to rule a nation as an 18 year old. I'm makiung excuses for her but come on, you try it.

Egwene can be the most bull-headed character of all so she'll be a GREAT amyrlin. Yeah, she's been pretty bad to Rand in the respect department since she was raised but her chapters in KoD were my favorite of the book. Theres always hope for her in AMoL.

On the other hand many of the women can be frustrating to read about, as much of the time they are trying to manipulate instead of being honest with whoever they're dealing with.

But in their defense the men of the series have made their share of blunders...

In the end its not fair to say omg all the women in this series are obnoxious, or say omg all the men in this series are all woolheads. They aren't.

Nynaeve got better, in the last two books. a bit anyway. she's finally growing up.

Elayne was insipid way before she assumed the crown of andor or got knocked up. She was awesome in TEOTW, but every book since, shes just worse and worse to read.

Egwene, after some thought, i think she is a victim of the plotline. In order for the series to take the twists and turns it does, RJ had to split her from the boys. A clunky plot device written by one of the great masters is still a clunky plot device, and has to show somewhere. It definately shows in the completely unreasonable 180 turn she goes through in such a short time.

Archived