DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Good Horror Books

Maerirn

i'm not much for horror as a general rule, but i would highly recommend HP Lovecraft.  it sort of blends horror with a dab of science fiction here, fantasy there.  they're all short stories, or novellas at the longest.

Oh, I haven't actually read it yet. I'm looking for a hard copy in a bookstore, as I don't like reading things on my computer screen. It was the title that helped so much. Perhaps I'll tell you all about the theory some day.

It's not really horror, but I just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". I picked it up after seeing the movie No Country For Old Men, another of his books.  I read it in 6 hours without a break because I couldn't put it down. 

I would equate it to S. King because it has violence, cannabalism, post-apocalyptical hopelessness, and plenty to upset and disturb.  Most of all, it makes you think.  Best book Ive read this year. Ha Ha.

stephen king is good... until the end. i usually feel let down. there have been one or two that made it though...

i just started reading anne rice's vampire collection. i like the way she tells her stories even if they aren't always awesome stories. the first books i read by her were The Mayfair Witches.

The Witching Hour was great until the very end, and the series went down from there imo. The good news is that Lestat entertains all the way through Memnoch the Devil. It declines rapidly after that, but they are solid until then.

it appears that people only like her until she gets bored with a particular set then it goes down hill...

i think it really was trashed when she told the whole story of how the family hooked up with lasher... could have made some decent spin off type short stories, but... meh.

Oh, I haven't actually read it yet. I'm looking for a hard copy in a bookstore, as I don't like reading things on my computer screen. It was the title that helped so much. Perhaps I'll tell you all about the theory some day.

Ahhh... Well, JDATE is hard to find in stores since Permuted Press is such a small publisher. You can get them to order it for you, or just it off Amazon like I did.

I havent been much of a fan of horror books, but am looking for some good reads. I know stephen king, but other than him

Check out Tim Lebbon's "Dusk", which is some pretty horrifying fantasy

Ricardo Pinto's "Stone Dance of the Chameleon" isn't horror, but I wanted to recommend it to someone, so . . . there you are.

• 1 month later...

Along with Frankenstein, I'd say Dracula.  I suppose Battle Royale would be considered Horror, though I consider it a comedy.  Its not like how evil dead is comedy, I just think 8th graders being forced to kill each other within 3 days the funniest damn thing ive ever read.  Watching those kids snap...it makes me giggle, though i did nearly vomit during one scene that was so graphic.

Guest Dashara

I love the classic horror stuff too, Mary Shelley's Frankenstien & Bram Stoker's Dracula, although they didn't scare me.  I've read some of the Anne Rice books as well and liked them.  The only book that ever actually scared me was "It" by Stephen King, hate hate hate clowns..

Hmm, are you talking about 'books that will scare the living daylights outta me' or 'books about vampires, werewolves, serial killers, otherworldly beings of enduring and timeless malevolence and animated corpses' because the two don't necessarily correlate.

For eg: the only way you can seriously get scared by Dracula (the grandaddy of all modern vampire novels) is to read it at night by flickering candlelight with your neck exposed and your back to an open window with a 'welcome' sign hanging on it while a thunderstorm lashes your lonely abode. But that's not to say it isn't an excellent piece of writing which I would recommend to anyone.

Archived