DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

At the beginning of TGH, two observations

aevogt

First, where the hell was Moraine.  Rand and Lan (TGH p 7)  "Now she's gone off somewhere, vanished"  This is at the same time that Ingtar is off "hunting" at the DF social club outside SG.  Now, to say Moraine is a DF would be blasphemy piled atop heresy but... it made me wonder.  There were two AS there and we only guess at their identities.  Where would she go without Lan, who rarely leaves her side.  Why would she "need to be alone sometimes"  What is she doing?

Two, In her audience with Suian Sanche, Verin says she has no idea who Isam is.  Now, are we expected to believe that an AS of Verin's age (200 plus) who is also a Brown, you know the history Ajah, would not know the details of how Malkier fell to the blight. 

Hmmm.

Didn't Morraine somewhere think she should not reveal to Lan that Isam is alive.

Maybe Morraine go to meet her eyes and ears and send messages to them and Siaun?. Or  she was deciding where she can find information which she wanted. She spent most of the time in TGH with Vandene and Adleas maybe she was communicating with them?.

About Verin I have no clue.

Moiraine was purposefully avoiding Rand for no other purpose than to make him feel her absense. She is no darkfriend--we know that for a fact from her POV's.

And it is possible that Verin simply did not know. I mean, Isam was a relatively minor footnote in the fall of Malkier--the baby of a traitor presumed dead.

It would've been a very short series if Moiraine was a Darkfriend. Picture this starting from CH 7, page 90 of EotW:

"Suddenly a house became visible through the last bare-branched trees, and it was burning. A dark sooty shadow covered the night sky, smothering the surrounding landscape in a sight not seen in these parts for a thousands years but one that will be all too common in the years to come. Shaken too his core Rand took a while to notice an elegant white horse, its short stature reflecting the size of its owner who was seated on her back. A beautiful lady in blue with a strange bright look in her eyes.

'Lady Moiraine?' Rand dumbly asked, the shock of seeing the village of Emonds Field alight burning was final blow after a night of terror and exhaustion. All Rand al'Thor could do was gape.

First there was a bright light, then there was pain, and as he drew his final breath a voice whispered in his ear. I have won again, Lews Therin."

I could be wrong but I don't think EotW would've sold quite so well if that was the case.

I would hate to think that Moirainne would be a DF, but it's one heck of an observation.  Moirainne has done numerous things to negate ideas of her being a Black sister, but who knows?  She may have done those things for her own reasons or objectives.  I'm SURE that there are characters whom we know and love and would never suspect will be revealed as friends of the dark.  Why not Moirainne?  That would be a twist noone saw comming! 

There have been spectulation about "Verin's lie" in TGH.  Perhaps it was Moiraines lie???  Food for thought.  Very good observation aevogt!

imo  i think moiraine at that time was  using Lan  to  tie  another string to rand without it  being her  doing it  she was trying to appear  that she was distancing herself  from him and letting him  find his way without  him feeling like he has to  alter his choices  because he thinks he needs to  fend  her off.

Quote:

She may have done those things for her own reasons or objectives.  I'm SURE that there are characters whom we know and love and would never suspect will be revealed as friends of the dark.

Who prey tell? Except for Rand Perrin,Nyneave and Rand's Harem some pretty imaginative theories concerning someone being a Darkfriend have been postulated about just about every other character in the novels, especially, Verein, Bashere, Cadsuanne, etc.

Archived