DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The lions sing and the hills take flight

Tyrell

The lions sing and the hills take flight.

The moon by day, and the sun by night.

Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.

Lae the Lord of Chaos rule.

I'm just wondering if anyone ever analysed (this is how we spell it in england, you may use a zed, thats a zed not a zee by the way) this for any kind of meaning?

I always assumed that the blind woman and the deaf man were the Aes Sedai / Asha'man, but beyond that I don't know, the lion could be a reference to Elayne / Andor at a stretch I suppose. I just started LoC so my interest in it re-arised as usual, any thoughts?

ok, I'll make some random guesses:

Lions sing and hills take flight - Andor?

The moon by Day and the sun by Night? Either this means light and dark OR Seanchan and Rand (A longshot.)

Blind woman - Aes Sedai

Deaf man - No idea, but Whitecloaks?

Jackdaw Fool - nope...

Let the Lord of Chaos Rule - Shai.....

• Community Administrator

Chaos = Oppossite of Order, meaning what should be, isn't.

Lions don't sing, Hills don't fly.

Lions roar, hills stay where they are at.

Now, you could say men are always blind,a nd women are deaf, but it could be argued vice/versa.

A jackdaw is of the Crow family, And I don't believe 'crows' are fools...

Effectively what I think that 'stanza?' is trying to say is simply the changes that are happening to the land, and the people. That should be fairly obvious.

If you take that context, in with the

Lions of Andor, and the Hills of Cairhan, that are basically 'joined' under one party now,

The aes Sedia are Blind to the events that go around them, and the asha'man are deaf to anyone who questions them.

And the darkone, who is generally seen to be evil, and evil is associated with black, and since crows are associated with 'black' is probably the fool.

Really though, going to far into depth might just be a red hearing, when all its really saying is all the political differences that are going on in their land...

the do refers to rand as the lord of chaos so

The lions sing and the hills take flight= andor+carhein

The moon by day, and the sun by night=im guessing the only place time is diferent and the sun can be out in the night and moon in the day TAR

Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool=woman refers to one or implies so a woman blinded by hatred or something top of my head is lafear, deaf man can be anything or some form of asha man

Lae the Lord of Chaos rule=rand dragon

i might be thinking to much into this

Okay I'll bite, but I warn you i've got big teeth.

to start, lets go ahead and post the whole thing again.

The lions sing and the hills take flight.

The moon by day, and the sun by night.

Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.

Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

(chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age)

Now we know that this is not prophecy at all, but is actually a fourth age recollection of something that happened from the time period of TG, because it specifically mentions the "Lord of Chaos." We can also guess, that if the memory of these occurences survived to the next age, then they were probably pretty signifigant, and that those circumstances most likely broke open the narrowly used term "lord of Chaos," and entered it into the common parlance.  If this is true, then the events that this pasage refers to are most likely either huge enough in scope that memory of the event was passed on as legend, or it was an event of such importance that it was documented well enough to preserve it.

Here's a few possibilities.  A careful observer notices that the fist chapter of LoC is called "Lion on the Hill."  The prominent characters in that chapter are Bashere and Rand.  This chapter also sees the announcement of Taim's arrival at the palace gates in Camelyn.  This might be an indicator that the conclusion of the "Bashere bad aura" viewing is related to this passage, or that the conclusion of the Taim arc is referenced.  One might also note that the white "lions" are at that time roaring their way through the hills of Carhien. 

The moon by day, sun by night could be an indicator of an eclipse, and could be tied to the "twice dawns the day..." prophecy.  One might also attribute the moon/sun passage as the return of sovergnty to the Carhienoens.  The cresent (moon) banner of Tear holding sway in Carhien one day, until Rand shows up to restore the golden (sun) banner of Carhien that next night.  I especially like this second interpretation because it ties to the previous verse and tells a narrative of the story of carhien, in that at first the andorans were roaring and the carheinen were running, then the tairens showed up and occupied things until the carhienen were restored....but that's just me.

As for the rest of it, I have no good ideas, except that Mat could certainly now be described as a jackdaw fool, escpecially in light of his new title as "prince of the jackda....err ravens."  I'd also add that I always assumed that Rand was the LoC, not the DO.  Mainly because it doesn't make sense for demandred to go around telling the forsaken to let the DO rule, that's already their plan, nothing new there.

Guest Dreadlord

In my opinion, the Lord of Chaos refers to Rand, mainly because he is ta'veren (nobody can predict what will happen around him, even himself) and also because he is supposed to "save the world and destroy it."

Another reason I think it is Rand is that "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" is an order issued by Moridin to the other forsaken (I think, its a while since i got to that part, Iv just started re-reading Lord of Chaos now) and I think this phrase means "Let Al'Thor do what he wants, and we will steal everything from him while hes doing it." Prime example, the Black Tower.

Archived