DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Warder Bond

vinay87

I know that the warder bond snaps when an Aes Sedai is stilled/killed. Well, when Siuan Sanche got back her ability, she also feels the loss of her Warder. So, does this mean that when the Aes Sedai is Healed and restored to her ability, the bond reactivates? Wouldn't that also mean that Lan's Bond with Moiraine should return if she returned from the Tower of Ghenjei? Just speculation, of course.

I think it's more likely that Moiraine would suffer much as Lan did when the bond was snapped, just like Siuane grieved Alric once she was Healed, even though Moiraine knows that Lan is alive. The grieving that we see from Siuan is a result of the bond, more so than the fact of her warder's death. I guess what I'm saying is, even Elza, who really feels no affection for her warder at all, would grieve if the bond were snapped somehow, as that's the nature of the weave itself. Eldrith would grieve her warder, who is actively seeking to kill her; that's why she doesn't want the others to kill him, preferring to keep running from him, instead. For that reason, I think Moiraine would weep over Lan if she were Healed, even though she knows he isn't dead--because it would be a reaction to the nature of the weave, rather than a reaction to the emotional pain of loss. Does that make sense? Rather than the bond being reactivated (and remember, it was passed to Myrelle anyway, so it's no longer Moiraine's bond), I think it would instead cause the normal reaction to the loss of a warder, minus the psychological pain of knowing he's dead. Siuan's bond to Alric wasn't restored along with her ability to channel, it only reconnected her to the shock that she avoided through being stilled--the natural reaction to the destruction of the bond.

Edited for spelling and counter-productive attempts at providing greater clarity.  :P

Edited for spelling and counter-productive attempts at providing greater clarity. 

not certain it worked. ;)

all of this assumes that she didn't suffer already. (can't remember if lan felt her when she was in the other doorway to the tower)

but yes, following the line of speculation. should the bond be allowed to be restored, i would assume it would work the same way as suiane's did.

Quote:

I know that the warder bond snaps when an Aes Sedai is stilled/killed. Well, when Siuan Sanche got back her ability, she also feels the loss of her Warder. So, does this mean that when the Aes Sedai is Healed and restored to her ability, the bond reactivates? Wouldn't that also mean that Lan's Bond with Moiraine should return if she returned from the Tower of Ghenjei? Just speculation, of course.

Except that the bond was transferred to another A.S. at the instant that Moraine lost contact with this world. Healing her would not undo the transference of the bond.  Moreover, what Siuan felt when she was healed was the snapping of the bond. Thus once the bond is snapped its gone it does not exist anymore. You feel the effects of it snapping but thats different from saying that the bons still exists.

Keep in mind that the sadness Aes Sedai feel and the death-absortion the Warders feel is a caused effect. The cause is having the bond snapped. Siuan's regaining of that feeling was not suddenly being connected again with a dead man, it was that the snapped remenant of her bond manifested when she regained the ability to channel.

The bond was snapped the moment she was severed, it was just that side-effect that she could not feel.

Yes, Alric died before they severed her ... but not before they captured her.  She was tortured for information before being severed ... and while she would have felt the grief-absoption at her Warders death (and the effect was bound into her ability to channel) it sort of got lost in the fact that she was being tortured, after which she was immediately severed.

When the ability was restored (and so the effect of the broken bond) and she wasn't being tortured, so she then felt it clearly.

Archived