DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Galad and the White Cloaks

vinay87

I'm undecided on this. I haven't quite pictured Galad as "Die Aes Sedai witch" type. So, my question is thi.s How much do you think the whitecloaks' look on things is going to change with Galad as the Lord Captain Commander?

I figure that the Whitecloaks become atleast a little more tolerant towards users of the One Power. And also, they don't go around drawing the Dragon's Claw on doors of those they think are Darkfriends. I also see the Whitecloaks as a major assistance to the side of the light when the battle part of Tarmon Gaidon starts. However, I don't quite know where Galad's feelings for Egwene, the Amyrlin Seat, fit in. Its quite funny picturing that the Flame of the Lord Captain commander of the White cloaks is the Flame of Tar Valon. Oh and maybe a fight between Galad and Gawyn (just hoping so) for her hand?! lol.

I think the whitecloaks will become more like what they were originally intended to be when they were first created. They have become too corrupt and too far off base from their original intent.

I believe Galad will straighten them back out, and yes, be more tolerant of Aes Sedai. They will be more worried about bringing people to the light and not using it as an excuse to bully them. They will seek out true darkfriends and seek to have them walk in the light.

I do believe Galad will have them play their part against the DO in TG.

And as for Egwene, I think she is off the market...she is all Gawyn's.

Galad will have to find him some other pretty Andoran girl, or become a warder...lol :)

I agree, Galad as the leader of the White Cloaks will bring them back to where they started. And they will be a big factor in the last battle i think.

Galad and Egwene are done. Even if he still loves her he would step aside for Gawyn, that is what Galad does.

Plus i believe Berelien is in his future.

Who knows, maybe even a First of Mayene... ;)

Thats very possible, because Min's view that Berlain will fall for a man in whithe, and Galad is dresst in white, but that their story will be a lovstory like Bergith and Gaidal, because he will die a glories death in TG, and with him many of them that calls themself White Cloaks

One person saying something I don't worry about but since two people said it, I have to ask:  Is there a prophecy or something that RJ said that indicates that all the White cloaks will die?

If not, I think it is unlikely they ALL will die.  I hope not--I kind of like the idea of them, even if they have gone far off track.

Plus Berelain+Galad=Adorable.  Then again, I've always been a fan of Berelain.  I'll be happy if she gets together with basically any of the *single* guys.

Wouldn't it be ironic if she fell for Rand too? ;)

Well, of course *hopefully*, she's not going to fall for Rand, but the prophecy just said a guy dressed in white in a forest... ;)  Rand having another girlfriend would be the worst thing ever.

Ok, thanks, I was just wondering if it was a for sure thing.  It could happen, but I hope it doesn't--I don't know why, but I've always been intrigued by them (but of course I also love the Aes Sedai--so they should get along).

It seems to me that the Children started out very much like the Knights Templar, but over time have become the Spanish Inquisition. Or some mix of the two, being a indepentiant military force with no one but themselfs to answer to can lead over time to corruption. Small and incrimental but corruption none the less. Especialy once inflitrated by dark friends being fed orders from Ishy. With luck Galad will be able to sort it out, given he lives through TG.

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]

I  dont think galad will even try to sort it out.  from his POV  he thinks its a  ridiculous notion  that he  is the new lord captain commander.  but i think we will see a  change in the whitecloaks that follow him,  weve already  seen changes in them moments after they say  hes their leader he almost has some of his half brothers  tavereness the way  he swayed the  whitecloaks so easily to  his line of thought. 

Ah so it's only a periodical thing. I wonder if it is random or if there is such a thing as pre-destined fate in Randland... If so i wonder if it is possible that the Pattern has seen a need to make other main characters ta'veren throughout the course of our story. Could it be that perhaps Elayne, Egwene or Galad are now ta'veren despite not having been so at the start?

Its not random ... the Pattern selects particular people and makes them ta'veren in order to correct problems or counter-act events causing events to drift away from where they're supposed to be.

Here ... RJ's thoughts on the subject:

The Wheel creates ta’veren at need, making someone who is already alive one.  You aren’t born ta’veren.  Can you imagine being around a ta’veren who is teething?    It would be possible for a Darkfriend or Forsaken to be made ta’veren, but it seems unlikely.  Ta’veren are part of the Wheel’s self-correcting mechanism.  When the Pattern seems to be drifting too quickly, and especially if it is in the wrong direction, one or more ta’veren are created.  I can’t really see how making a Darkfriend or Forsaken ta’veren would help with correcting the drift of the Pattern.  Ta’veren can oppose one another, when their conflict is what the Wheel “sees” as the necessary corrective.  And, no, ta’veren is not Old Tongue for Deus ex machina.  It came out of musings on luck, charismatic leaders, and the theory of the indispensable man.

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=27

So... if it creates already existing beings ta'veren, in order to counter the deviation of events from what is supposed to happen...

Presumably the Dark One is not 'supposed' to break free and destroy the world.

Could it be that gradually over the course of aMoL and possibly even books 9-11 crucial 'Lightfriends' have been being made ta'veren in order to correct the problem of the DO potentially breaking free? Or does the DO act outside of the pattern/wheel's remit?

The Dark One is certainly not supposed to break free ... but I don't think the Pattern needed to make any more ta'veren ... I think the Pattern made three, in Emond's Field, just before the beginning of TEoTW.

Again, to quote:

For ben, of course women can be ta’veren.  None of the major female characters in the books is ta’veren, though.  The Wheel doesn’t cast ta’veren around indiscriminately.

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=31

He said this in answer to a specific question regarding female ta'veren, but I think the last sentence can be expanded to cover pretty much everyone except Rand, Mat, and Perrin.

The Pattern is using those three to draw everyone else in ... it doesn't need to make those other people ta'veren too.

Archived