DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fight @ the W.O.T. colosseum...who will win?

Dragon21

spigots or caudrens  

114 members have voted

1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

Just out of sickbed, barely able to walk any longer distance, Mat took out Galad and Gawyn just from his own skills (fast hands and much practice with a quarterstaff). Since then, he has a lot more experience from battles, even if you're not counting the hundreds, maybe thousands of fights he remembers thanks to the finns.

I'd put my money on him, even without the memories from the finns.

Mat - he's super lucky, he's got alot of combat behind him (both real and from his other memories) and he's a staff master. He was barely able to stand up when he beat Gawyn and Galad both at once with a staff, and neither of them were exactly crap.

I know why people are going for Lan, but consider, the greatest blademaster of all time lost only one bout in his lifetime - to a farmer with a staff ;-)

Rhuarc. I remember a quote somewhere that said something along the lines of 'an unarmed Aiel is still more dangerous than a man with a sword' or something like that.

When you're used to fighting other Aiel who similarly dont always use their weapons first, you've gotta hold the upper hand against men who go for the steel before even thinking of fighting with hands and feet.

Although Lan and Mat would likely comprise the last 3 with him.

Pure melee.

I´d rank Mat on top.

Lan is close.

Rhuarc is propably close( we really havent seen that much of him in terms of fighting).

Rand before loosing his hand along with perrin would be just below Lan/rhuarc.

When choosing between Mat and Lan, i´d think theyr rather equal, however: Lan now is better then Lan when he was young(aka, new spring), but hes not better speed etc, hes better due to experience and training. Pure physically hes propably less good now then in new spring.

Here, Mat is almost cheating, He is physically in his prime years, but he got 10 or so(seems like a decent gues that;) times the fights behind him that Lan does. Thats what makes it imho.

Thats tough actually, top 3 Mat, Lan and Rhuarc for sure.

Mat would probaly beat Lan but only just (Lan's experienced enough not to underestimate a quarterstaff).

I think Mat would have alot of trouble with Rhuarc since he(Rhuarc) doesn't actually use a sword (duh). Mat again, but I suppose it could go either way.

Lan v Rhuarc, I think would be about even, and thats a fight I'd like to see. ;D

• 5 weeks later...

8th- Tam

7th- Ingtar

6th- Gawyn

5th- Perrin

4th- Lan

3rd- Rhuarc

2nd- Galad

1st- Mat

this is the most likely order i could come up with when i considered the question not from who's likeliest to win, but who's likeliest to lose first.

Tam wasn't bad, but no combat in 20ish years makes you kind of rusty.

Ingtar gets the edge over Tam for recent combat experience, and no other reason

Gawyn and Galad are almost equal in skill, and still have 3 people seperating them on the list, which should attest to how equal the final 6 are.

this is for arena combat.  if it was a fight to the death, Lan and Mat would fight forever with no winner and the other 6 would be dead.

That is hard to say. It would come down to Mat, Lan, and the Aiel clan chief

I'm not really sure how good Gawyn has become. I'd venture to guess it would come down to Lan and Matt, and then Matt would get lucky and trip, skewering Lan accidentally.

My money is on Mat, of all the characters in the books he is the one that we have seen in fights most often.

Lets see, killed Couldin who must have been pretty good if not as good as Rhuarc, he has faced off against a gholom not once but twice now, even with out his spear he is able to take out a dozen people with swords by him self with just his knives as seen in KoD Ch 11.

Just as a note ... Perrin would lose to anyone of the people named in a one-on-one duel.  Whether he was using his axe or his hammer, he would be far slower than any of them.  He was losing to Aram before he pulled his ta'veren trip and got Aram shot.

Perrin is not a dueler.  His choice of weapons and style of fighting are suited to full-scale battle, where sheer power is of greater use.

If I had to rank them, I'd go like this, from worst to best:

Perrin

Ingtar

Tam, Gawyn, Galad, Rhuarc, all on basically the same level.

Lan and Mat, slightly above the rest.

Mat would beat Lan, because of his luck and ta'veren-ness.  Without those, I think it would probably end in a draw, as in, both of them dead.  Mat might be slightly faster, but Lan is tougher ... he'll keep fighting after he's taken enough damage to kill two lesser men.

Archived