DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mistake in Lord of Chaos?! (Printing, atleast)

vinay87

"Thirteen," Rand said flatly, and just saying it was enough for Lews Therin to try seizing control of saidar from him again. It was a wordless struggle with a snarling beast. When Min first said there actually were thirteen Aes Sedai in Caemlyn, Rand had barely managed to seize the Power before Lews Therin could. Sweat rolled down Rand's face; there were dark patches on his coat. He only had room for concentrating on one thing. Keeping saidar away from Lews Therin. A muscle in his cheek jumped from the strain. His right hand trembled.

Book : 6. Lord of Chaos

Chapter : 49 The Mirror of Mists

Edition : Paperback 2003 Reprint by Orbit (Does the ISBN vary for editions? ISBN 1-85723-300-X)

Page number : 887

I don't think this error is in the other editions. When I typed in the first sentence and googled it, I found the "saidar" replaced correctly with "saidin". I was wondering if this error was found in all the editions. On side note, it occurs in all instances of Power for the rest of the chapter starting from that particular paragraph.

There's no error in my edition, which I know was printed before 2003.

Incidentally, the place where the error is at on my copy is on page 866. However, come to think of it I recall seeing an error like that. I have another copy of LoC, I'll go look at that one.

Nope, there's no error in either of them, but they're both the same edition.

There are a number of very minor typographical, gender, and other errors in various editions and printings of several of the books.  I'm sorry, but ... so what? 

Yeah, I just noticed this in my latest reread of The Great Hunt, but every time it lists Nynaeve's full name in the book, it's written as "al-Maera".  It just freaked me out because I thought I had been reading it wrong all those years.

Now that's a funny story.

What if saidin was actually the female side of the source, but all of the books made an error and switched saidin and saidar around? And that edition of LoC is the only one that reveals the error made throughout the series?

That'd be pretty cool. I think every single one of us should start using saidar when we're talking about saidin and saidin for saidar. We'll be able to freak out all the new people that come to DM.

Now that's a funny story.

What if saidin was actually the female side of the source, but all of the books made an error and switched saidin and saidar around? And that edition of LoC is the only one that reveals the error made throughout the series?

That'd be pretty cool. I think every single one of us should start using saidar when we're talking about saidin and saidin for saidar. We'll be able to freak out all the new people that come to DM.

Saidin which is plural for man in arabic and saidar which if changed to saidat is plural for women.

Archived