DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An Old Face Returns (Dali and those I knew)

Ragnar

A silvery slash appeared outside of the Black Tower. Appearing to rotate open, it revealed within it a platform, apparently of stone, holding a man on his horse. Riding through, the man seemed somewhat concerned. The area had changed much since he had last seen it. He wore the Black Coat of the men of this place, adorned with the silver sword and dragon on opposite collars. He had left wearing another coat, but he had left the rank that it implied behind when he had left the tower so long ago.

Riding at a walk, he approached the gate of the Black Tower, 2 Dedicated eyeing him warily. "Halt, who goes there?".

"Inform Dalinarius that Ragnar has returned to the Black Tower and wishes to speak with him." the man said. The pull was lessening, the patterns desire close to being fulfilled. Soon the will of the pattern would be revealed. Why now?

Ragnar

Asha'man

Guest Dalinar

Dalinar frowned in concentration as he worked the flows of Delving that encompassed not only mother, but unborn child before him. Maria had been experiencing near crippling pain as she entered the last term of her pregnancy and was worried that it was her babe that was the cause of it.

As Dalinar's featherlight touch explored the pair, he quickly came to a conclusion about the origin of her discomfort.

Releasing saidin, thankfully without any of the adverse side effects that occasionally came with that lately, Dalinar explained. "Your babe is angled unusually at the moment, Maria, and as a result it's pressing on your back causing you the pain you're getting. A simple belt should help some, I can have the armorer fashion something that should suffice from leather, and you can come back as often as you need for treatment. If the babe doesn't move further into your term then it may be necessary to try and shift her, but I'm reluctant to use the Power as," Dalinar's cheeks coloured slightly, "As I honestly don't know if it would have any detrimental effect on your babe." Dalinar hated the holes in his knowledge of saidin, when it came to Healing above all else. There was so much they didn't know.

As the woman made her courtesies and then left, she was replaced by a Dedicated seeking the M'Hael's attention. He saluted crisply waiting for recognition.

Dalinar saluted back and gestured to a chair across from him as he pulled out a pen and began writing notes. "You're name?... mhmmm... and how old are you? yes good then, and what's ailing you then?" Dalinar frowned at his paper waiting for a response, then looked up when it wasn't forthcoming.

"I'm, errr, not here for any Healing, M'Hael," the Dedicated replied awkwardly.

"Aah, I see," Dalinar nodded and his pen scratched away at the paper. "So then, relationship problem? Troubled thoughts on being an Asha'man? Mood swings?"

The Dedicated looked slightly taken aback. "Errr, no sir, that is, I think you've got the wrong idea, sir."

Dalinar swung a slightly hawk-like gaze up the man. "Well? Enlighten me, Dedicated, there are plenty of people who need my help today."

"Errr, there is someone here to see you, M'Hael. The name he gave was Ragnar."

The M'Hael blinked in surprise, which was an unusual display these days. "Ragnar? I was beginning to wonder if that fool had gotten himself killed." With everything going on in the Tower these days, with the unpalpable tension and sense of wrongness that hung in the air, he couldn't help but smile at the thought of one of his oldest friends returning home. "Send him in, man, send him in. And make sure he's comfortable won't you!"

Dalinar tucked his pens and paper away and stood to greet the returned Asha'man.

Dalinarius Traachanshield,

M'Hael.

The Dedicated returned quickly along with a pair of Soldiers and an Asha'man Ragnar had never met. As the Soldier approched his horse Ragnar handed one the reigns and gave instructions for it's feeding and care. The other was told by the Asha'man to take his bags to his apartments. "The M'hael will see you now Asha'man Ragnar." He said, leading the way to the infirmary.

Things had changed in the years since Ragnar had departed. The inn looked different for one, and he did not recognize many faces from before he left. The training grounds were of course busy as they always were and the traitor's tree just as vile as he remembered. Then he was entering the office of Dalinar and all of those thoughts left him. Tower's Honor stood beside the desk and the Quarterstaff propped in the corner. He remembered Tower's Honor well, for it had taken him days and the help of another to make it. The crafting of metals into weapons was not an easy task, but the blade given Dalinar to be presented to the Lord Dragon had to be as perfect as possible, and Ragnar had done well.

"I see you still have it Dalinar. And you seem well. How have you been old friend and what has become of those we once knew?"

"Sit Ragnar, and let's talk."

Ragnar

Asha'man

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dalinar

They sat together before the fire, the light from the flames dancing across their faces and causing shadows to flicker and waver across the room. Dalinar's gaze wandered from contemplation of the flames, to his friend and across to where Tower's Honour rested in the corner in its bone-white leather sheath.

Of course he still had it. It was almost as much a mark of the M'Hael now as the seal kept in the dark-stained wooden box on his desk, or the metallic-blue Dragons that had been embroidered into the sleeves of his coat. But it was more so, as it's name suggested, a symbol of the Tower. Of the oath of fealty to Jarron al'Tanin that had been taken over its blade. Of course, the Dragon had little use even for as fine a blade as that given that he sported a genuine, heron-marked blade from the Age of Legends, and had returned it to Dalinar after the swearing. A reminder, perhaps, of the fealty that had been sworn.

Dalinar spent some time talking to Ragnar, from inconsequential news in the Tower, to the return of old comrades and the growth of the Farm to the mini-metropolis that it now was. He spoke also of the affairs of the world that he knew of, and Ragnar helped to fill in many gaps here and there with the knowledge he had aquired while away from the Tower.

Eventually Dalinar's thoughts turned to darker matters, to the sense of... wrongness... that had existed in the Tower the last month or so. Of the deaths that didn't quite fit somehow with the usual training accidents and attrition that was day to day life at the Farm.

Eventually, Dalinar fell silent. "And so, Ragnar, what news of you? I hope you'll be staying for some time, at least, I could certainly use a familiar and trusted face around the Farm..."

Dalinarius Traachanshield,

M'Hael.

"And so, Ragnar, what news of you? I hope you'll be staying for some time, at least, I could certainly use a familiar and trusted face around the Farm..."

"Of course old friend. I've had enough time away to sort my feelings about being what I am and how that fits into the pattern. I have seen quite a bit in my journeys. Bandits are rampant, but there are now some that will trouble honest people no more. Instead of staying behind these walls, I went out into the world and lived up to our names. I was a Guardian, and I protected those who could not protect themselves. And they did not love me for it, but they were grateful, no matter that I could weild death in my hands as the Aes Sedai do. I have wandered far and wide and everywhere it is the same. People need our help."

OOC:To be continued

Ragnar

Asha'man