DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fall 2009

Saidar

And we'll have A Memory of Light. Or that's what Brandon Sandersons blog says. But I have to wait longer. I'm reading them in Dutch so I can wait until they are translated... How long have you been reading The Wheel of Time? I just finnished Knife Of Dreams 2 months ago and I'm already sick of waiting... Some of you guys must really have nerves of steel...  ;D

*looks at the post*

Pretty useless is it?

*Thinks*

State your WOW (no not World Of Warcraft) moments out of the books here. :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sister bought TEoTW in hardcover the year it was released.  She finished it in a few days and told me "You have got to read this one"  I was in college at the time but between semester so I borrowed it and could not put it down.  She lost interest (BLASPHEMY) when she started having kids but I have preordered every book since she gave me that one.

I though I was going to lose my mind when they started coming out every other year instead of every year (like the first couple or books)

1994 here, could not tell how many rereads on most of the books other than the last one, which once i finish my current reread, it will be the 4th.  :)

Favorite moment in the book?  WOW,  Well when Mat is trying to escape the clutches of Dear Tylin, and he runs into Tuon.  Next Favorite is probaly the battle of Dumai Wells,  Kneel to the Lord Dragon, or you will be nelt.  Having those Aes Sedai being humbled in that way, well to steal a saying, "priceless".

I think '93 for me.  Numerous re-reads that for some reason drive my wife batty.

My WOW moment is the same as one that Ahaz Flagg mentioned: Dumai's Wells.  The battle was awesome ("Ashaman, kill!"), and Taim telling the Aes Sedai to kneel or be knelt is my favorite line of the series, by a large margin.  Too bad it's from Taim.  ;D 

OK I'm definitely a newbie, I only started reading tEotW my freshmen year of highschool, which was only three years ago.  So that was 04 I think.  Yeah, 04, because I did a book report on it for my English class.  I could not put it down, so I went and bought all the other books (paperback of course, I am not rich, can't afford all the hardcovers...), and read them within two months.  I've reread the first two and started the third again but im reading British literature for english this year, so I really haven't had any time. 

As for my WOW moments... when the Seanchan find out Mat (Tylin's toy :P) is the leader who kidnapped Tuon and defeated them so many times.  And then Mat wows them by letting Tuon go!  And she returns the favor by marrying him ^^ HAHAH that is one of my favourite parts of the series... so amazing ^^.  Oh, and Dumais Wells of course, who doesn't love that?

It's been since 1994 for me, since I was a sophmore in high school. I remember doing a summer thing that year and walking by a girl reading a book I hadn't gotten to yet. I almost wet my pants having someone to talk to about it. :)

Fav moments? Mat realizing he's the Prince of Ravens and what that means. Mat suspecting that Elayne is memorizing his curses, then writing the idea off. A drunken Birgitte when Elayne has her night with Rand. Birgitte realizing that Elayne IS the daughter heir of Andor. Nynaeve submitting to saidar. Lan leaving his shoes where Nynaeve told him NOT to (ok, so we only have Ny's memory of it, but still pretty funny) Elaida slapping Alviarin. I don't like Elaida, but considering what Alviarin is and what she's trying to do, I felt Elaida's plasure. Egwene swatting Rand with the OP and Rand swatting her back.

I could go on. The series is so long, how can I keep the list little?

Haha, I don't even remember. Not that it was that long ago, but still. I think I started reading them in when eight had come out? Or a little after it came out. So whenever that was.

I've reread them maybe twice.. and listened to most of them once. But it's so good, anyway.

Wow moments, hmm.. yeah, there are lots. Dumai's Wells always makes me shiver. Rand escaping is so AWESOME! Lews Therin seizing the power from Rand was CRAZY. Mat... just being Mat, haha. A lot of the times when he speaks in the Old Tongue and doesn't know, like when he slips out of the ter'angreal and Moiraine and Rand are talking about their translators and Mat is like 'yeah, couldn't understand a word.' Mat getting healed was pretty nuts.

Um, Perrin with that one Aiel.. where he takes off the guys hand. I did not expect that at all. Cleansing the source was real neat. There are wow moments in every book, Cabriana is right.. how can you have a short list? Lol. I'll just stop here, I think I got the big ones out.

Started reading in summer of 2000 after completeing LotR for the second time and wanting something just like it cause I was in a fantasy mood and my vacation in California at the age of 14 wasn't thrilling enough. Figured the series was over cause how many series out there go past 8 novels? Then Christmas hit and ads for WH were everywhere.

My favorite scenes would be EVERY SINGLE ONE. Too cliche? Ok, how about, Mat meeting the Aelfinn, Mat meeting the Eelfinn, Dumai's Wells, the cleansing of Saidin, Perrin saving Faile, Faile being kidnapped, the battle with Couladin, the battle with Rahvin, Matt saving Elayne from the Gholam, Lews Therin's first apperance, the Prologue from TEotW, Rand seeing the Aeil's history, Rand's war with the Seanchan, the Seanchan invasion of Ebou Dar, Matt accediently marrying Tuon, Tuon completeing the marriage, Lanfear skinning Kadere, Moiraine defeating Lanfear, Osan'gar and Aran'gar's birth, Shadar Haran marking Alviarin, Mat coming to rescue the girls in Salidar, Perrin cutting of the Aiel's hand, Ba'alzamon fighting Rand in the sky, Rand's first meeting with Min, everything Birgitte says, Nynaeve raising the Golden Crane and leaving Lan at World's End, the Forsaken conspiracy meeting, Egwene's tea, Galad becoming the Lord Captain Commander of the Children of the Light, Logain's return in Path of Daggers, Padan Fain killing the Myrdraal in TGH and nailing him to the door, and Mazrim Taim's meeting with the Red Ajah at the end of KoD.

To name a few.

Since '96 here....

I got TEotW from my gf to read on our holiday in the mountains.

It has been the only holiday to date where i was craving to go home.. just to be able to buy TGH & read on  :D

Nerves of steel? *whimper* I'd sell my soul to the Great Lord to be able to read AMoL tonight.

My favorite moment; Ingtar's last stand.

The whole series is brilliant, but those 2 chapters still stand out for me.

"The Light! and Shinowa!!"

Brilliance.

I started reading these books in 1992 at the tender age of 8. ;D So yes, I am well practiced with waiting for the next book to come out, lol! Plus waiting for George RR Martin to release his next book provides extra practice :D.

WOW moments for me... Nynaeve's battle with Moghedien in the Panarch's Palace, Dumai's Wells, Nynaeve discovering how to heal stilling/gentling and the cleansing of saidin.

Moment that still sets me giggling like a little girl: When Rand tells the Maidens a joke about "An irascible old farmer named Hu".

Moment when I was most impressed by a character: When Nynaeve dropped Lan off at World's End with a "Have a nice ride honey!" and left while he was still spluttering.

Moment that made my throat burn: In the stone when Rand is apologizing in his head to the corpse of the little girl he tried to revive with the Power.

The biggest moment for me was after Dumai's Wells, at the beginning of aCoS when Perrin stumbles across Rand, who's trying not to cry. Isan, of the Jarra sept of the Chareen Aiel. She died for me today. Very chilling. Sadder than when Moiraine died, to me.

I also enjoy when Mat begins his campaign to escape from Altara.

Guest durram laddel cham

hmm i guess..... the scene with Perrin in that dead city in altara (forgot the name) and the scene in Rhuidan with the aiel history

Hi all. I new, but have lurked for a while. The news of Brandon Sanderson planning to have this published by 2009, has forced me to express my joy.

I began reading the series in 2001. I was late to the party, but after reading TEOTW I just could stop. I have done two complete rereads, and read half again. I have read New Spring twice. I have the comics, although I wish they would complete that too. I had also looked forward to Jordan's next series he planned. "Mirrors of Infinity" or something?

Having only started, when WH was published, I have only had to wait for CoT and KoD. I wish it was sooner rather than later for aMoL, but what can we do. I am just happy to hear that plans are moving forward.

As for WOW moments, a lot of good ones have been mentioned, but I would add Perrin rallying the Two Rivers folk against the Trollocs and rescuing Master Luhhan and company from the White Cloaks. An early moment that really got me hooked was that first Trolloc attack on the Al Thor farm and the trip back to the village.

Archived