DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brandon Sanderson will finish AMoL

Lord_Naryb

I read a sample chapter of his Mistborn series that he has on his website. It looks very interesting, and I think I'll get some of his books. His writing style looks good, and from his interview it looks like he's approaching the project with a good deal of respect. I think he'll do good.

I read Mistborn not long ago. It's an awesome book. Very creative, great characters, very well thought out world. I enjoyed it as much as the WoT books I've read so far.

I've sent him a couple of emails, asking for some writing/publication advice. He replied back, in great depth. I think his reply was longer than my actual email. He's a cool guy as well as a great writer.

I also read the sample chapters for Mistborn (the book Harriett read) on his website and it looks really good. You can see the similarities to RJ's style, although he does need to write with more detailed descriptions.  ;)

Overall, a good choice for the series.

I had not heard about him before, but based on the interview, he seems to have the exact attitude to the task I was hoping for. Now I just have to purchase Mistborn and get more familiar with his style.

And, planned publishing date autumn 2009? Wow! Here I thought anything sooner than late 2010 was wishful thinking.

Oh yeah, I was surprised by that date as well. Much sooner than I expected.

He talked about writing styles in his interview.

How would you describe your writing style?

Three things make a fantasy epic work for me. 1) A complex plot with plenty of twists and turns that comes to an explosive climax. 2) An imaginative magic system and setting that feels both real and wondrous at the same time. 3) Deeply personal characters dealing with issues that transcend genre. (This is the most important one.)

I approach my writing from that above philosophy. I am probably best known for my magic and my settings, where I try very hard to give the reader a unique and different experience, one they haven't gotten from other fantasy books. I am also known for my endings, where I try very hard for well-foreshadowed--yet still surprising--twists and climaxes.

However, magic is only as interesting as the characters who use it. A plot is only gripping for me if I care about the characters. Danger and action sequences mean nothing if we don't CARE about the people who might be hurt or killed.

Robert Jordan, through his writing, taught me that. Characters first, everything else second.

I'm glad that he won't be trying to duplicate the minute details of RJ's style, but that he'll be trying to find a middle ground between his style and RJ's.

He also says that he will be using all of the already written parts, as well as try to fit the notes in exactly, which I'm glad to hear. He has exactly the attitude towards the book as I had hoped, as Majsju said.

I became a Brandon Sanderson fan because of Robert Jordan, so this is  a good choice from my point of view.

I have read all of Brandon's books which are...

Elantris, Mistborn, Mistborn 2: The Well of Ascension

He also has a free ebook on his website which is really good so far, it is called Warbreaker

His young adult novel Alcatraz versus the evil librarian, is in my opinion, more clever and better written than Harry Potter.

So don't dispair if anyone is suited to take up this task Brandon Sanderson is. His books are amazing. In the interview he talks about explosive climaxes. His last few chapters of all of his books put a new meaning to explosive. Be excited everybody. Its sad Robert Jordan can't finish it, but Brandon Sanderson is well up for the task.

I had not heard about him before, but based on the interview, he seems to have the exact attitude to the task I was hoping for. Now I just have to purchase Mistborn and get more familiar with his style.

Well said. That's exactly what I was hoping for, an author who shares the same passion for WoT as we all do. I'm going to see if I can pick some of his books up as well. From the interview he sounds like the man for the job.  :)

Plus he's a member of Dragonmount!!!!  ;D

Just a quick note to thank you all for your good wishes.  I just wanted to let you know that I have now seen the notes, and while I can't say anything specific without breaking my NDA, I will say that the notes are in far better shape than I had expected.  Mr. Jordan's staff are very skilled, and they have complied an outline for me that goes scene-by-scene.  After reading through it, I'm confident we can produce a book that Mr. Jordan would have been pleased with. 

Also, I DO finally know who killed Asmodean, and I promise to include it in the book to finally answer that question for you.

Also, I WILL be more detailed in my descriptions for this book.  I may need a fleet of people to help me get the clothing descriptions down, but I'll do it!  :)

Just a quick note to thank you all for your good wishes.  I just wanted to let you know that I have now seen the notes, and while I can't say anything specific without breaking my NDA, I will say that the notes are in far better shape than I had expected.  Mr. Jordan's staff are very skilled, and they have complied an outline for me that goes scene-by-scene.  After reading through it, I'm confident we can produce a book that Mr. Jordan would have been pleased with. 

So, can you tell us if the final scene was written complete by RJ before he died or is it just outlined?  ;D

Also, I WILL be more detailed in my descriptions for this book.  I may need a fleet of people to help me get the clothing descriptions down, but I'll do it!  :)

Just remember that the women's dresses are often "slashed with [insert alternate color here]" and you'll be ok.  ;D

Also, I DO finally know who killed Asmodean, and I promise to include it in the book to finally answer that question for you.

Good luck Brandon. I'm really looking forward to reading it! :)

Guest Arie Ronshor

I thought you said that Bela killed Asmo? :D

Finding the answer to this question will squelch a lot of great debates, but if you know that Graendal killed him, by all means add it in. :)

As for detailed clothing and such, there is a 'ton' of resource material that the RP side have combined together. I have a personal table based on nation that I use for my own personal references (should I actually put the effort in writing about something as silly as clothing) into my RolePlays. Send me a PM and I can link you to the majority of anything you need.

After all, just reading the books doesn't give you the whole picture. *grins* I read for the story, I write for the world.

I would say good luck, but... my advice is, Have Fun.

I've not read anything by him.

Who has? What do you think about the choice? Harriet hand-picked him! I am surprised that they moved so quickly on this. Has anyone read the Mistborn(?) books?

Well, when I first found out it was Mr. Sanderson, my first reaction was, "OK, at least it wasn't Terry Goodkind, China Mieville, Lawrence Watt-Evans, or Jerry Pournelle."  Don't get me wrong.  I think each of them write excellent works by any standard (though Pournelle has been going downhill lateley), but I didn't (and still don't) think any of them would mesh with Mr. Jordan's style.  That said, I would say that to immitate Mr. Jordan's style outright would be impossible, and any attempt could result in the book feeling like a parody. (As if the narritive portions of The Return of the King were to suddenly be replaced in omnibus editions of LOTR with the final third of Bored of the Rings and then it were to suddenly go back to the appendices.)

Still, I think certain things (like a wind emmerging somewhere {and not being The Beginning} and blowing over, around, and through a few of the more important POV charecters in the first few chapters, and Mr. Jordan's surprisingly mild {yet picturesque} vocabulary of expelatives) would be nice touches.

This is great news, I am very excited to read it already  :D. Well, I will not try to hurry... ;) Well, this will be a good wait.

Yes, what would the book be without ample bosoms, pulling braids out by the roots, stroking at sword hilts and hard objects in pouches and all women suddenly deciding to have a ceremony clad in the Light.  ;D

So, can you tell us if the final scene was written complete by RJ before he died or is it just outlined?  ;D

The first scene and the last scenes are among the very most complete among the material I've been given.  I find that poetic and appropriate, and will only need to do the most bare of changes to them.  (Mostly, I have to change tense, as they were dictated.  Instead of saying "He looked up" Mr. Jordan said to the person listening "And then, he looks up."  So, while I'll have to change it to a narrative, I won't do much else and try to leave scenes such as these (there are others like them) near pristine.

If I do this right, I'm hoping the reader won't be able to pick out where his writing ends and mine starts. 

Archived