DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Studying abroad

So...this is totally random, but has anyone studied abroad during college? I don't really know many people who have done it, and out of those, they've all done it within the last 2 or 3 years. I was wondering whether it has...long-term effects? Sorry, I'm not being very eloquent here....just trying to type out thoughts. I reeeaally want to go to Japan. I feel like it will complete my life....the only catch is that I have to learn 3 years worth of Japanese in a year and a half. I mean, I'll do it, I'm willing to do whatever it takes, but I want to know that it will be worth it. Thanks for any input.

I (stupidly and timidly) didn't take advantage of the study abroad programs at my school, but I had a few friends spend a quarter in Kenya and Spain, respectively, and another spent a semester in Bath, England. I can't say any of them returned with seriously changed life views (except for a vegetarian deciding to eat meat), but they definitely had a greater respect for the difference in cultures across the globe, and a better feeling of just how big the world is. The term in Africa seemed to be the most influential, not surprisingly.

I wish I'd gone somewhere, so I wholeheartedly encourage you to do so, if you can!

I've studied a broad... or two...

Actually I've never done it myself, but my sister has, and she had the time of her life. I'd definately recommend it, its an experience you'll never get another chance to do most likely.

I spent a year in England during my college days (27 years ago). My two best friends spent a year in France and Italy respectively.  All three of us made friends that we still communicate with--visit. It not only broadens your outlook, it also introduces you too people and oppertuneties (both cultural and business) that you would not gain otherwise. 

• 1 month later...

I didnt study abroad in college. Somehow, I ended up going to graduate school for international and did a semester in Mexico, and later Helsinki.  Then I went and joined the Peace Corps for 2 plus years in Eastern Europe.  All I can say is do it while you have the chance (before the career and makin babies!!!!! See the world before we blow it up. List of great places to see before you are 30 - Rio, Prague, Amsterdam, Talinn, Riga, Krakow, Warsaw, St. Petersburg, Budapest, Kiev or Bucharest (its ok, but thats where i lived), Cairo, Khartoum, Tunis, Singapore, Hong Hong, Jakarta, and anywhere in Austalia or New Zealand.  I did 75% of my travels while in Peace Corps ($60 to Munich for Octoberfest). If I had the choice in any program, I would be abroad in a sec.  Good luck.

Ohayo Gozaimasu!  Well, I never studied abroad, but, I live in Japan.  Okinawa to be precise, and it is awesome!  Japanese is a pretty easy language to speak and pretty tough language to read.  With a year and a half to study you should be pretty fluent.  I have also spent time in Egypt and it really does open your eyes to the difference in peoples and culture.  I recommend seeing as much of the world as you can.

Archived