DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Healing Those who were burned out

avacraft

One thing I read at WOTMania and I'm pretty sure it is said in the books as well is that AS who have been burned out no longer sense that the source is there like stilled women do.  So if a woman is burned out instead of stilled could they be healed.  I mean we know Setalle was a Brown that got burned out studying Ter'Angreal, so what if she was healed???  Please share your opinions but I think that the difference between stilled women and burned out women (I say women but I mean any channelers) is that spot Nynaeve found in Logain where it extends a little and then seems to have ben cut or ripped.  I wounder if that little part that extends is what allows stilled people to sense the source.  If that is the case then burned out people wouldn't have the little extended part and therefore wouldn't be able to be healed but it would be cool if Setalle was healed because she is a great character.

ok, I have always looked at it kinda like this.  The power is like a pool of water.  They are connected by "hoses" to the channeler.  Women who can channel more have larger "hoses".  Well, with that, shielding someone is like setting a rock or something heavy on them and cutting off the flow.  Stilling/genteling cuts the "hoses" completly so the flow can't be resumed.  Well, when that is healed, those "hoses" are patched back together (and can be all leaky which is why women are weaker when healed of it).  So, the way I look at it, when the burn themselves out, they draw more than their "hoses" can handle and they burst, leaving no "hose" left behind to be patched back up

This has been argued a lot, and ultimately it comes down to we don't know. Yes, burn out happens when people draw too much of the Source by accident or design, yes, people who have been burned out cqan't sense the TS while their stilled/gentled counterparts can, but beyond that, we have no idea. Two things get brought up, the first being when Setalle tried the a'dam and couldn't make it work, but we don't have her POV, and as the a'dam didn't work she had no real reason to say whether she could sense the TS or not, so we don't know if a'dam work differently for those burned out to those stilled (we see Siuan and Leane try holding Egwene's modified a'dam in Salidar with no success, although they sense the Source - but bear in mind the differences between those a'dam, such as Moghedien's ability to move around, colloared but not leashed). The other thing brough up is what Rand did to The AS he severed at Dumai's Wells, where he described what he did as crushing in fists of spirit rather than burning out or the sharp edged shield-like weave associated with stilling (they were later Healed). Some people believe that "crushing" would be more akin to burn out, so if one can be Healed both can, others see differences and believe that burn out is beyond the ability of Healing to fix. As it is, we don't have enough to say with any degree of certainty and it really could go either way. Healable or not, essentially, it's your choice, unless and until we have something definitive on the matter.

We'll know for sure as soon as we see Moiraine, however.  If she was burned out, as seems all but inevitable (because of Lan's reaction), and Lanfear was burned out with her (which she certainly would have been, for the same reasons that Moiraine was ... I mean, probably was  ::) ), then the fact that Cyndane can channel is proof that being burned out can be Healed.

As things stand now, it seems very, very much more likely that being burned out can be Healed, than that it cannot.

Well, when that is healed, those "hoses" are patched back together (and can be all leaky which is why women are weaker when healed of it). 

I thought the reason Leane and Siuan were weaker is because they were weaker after being Healed is because they were Healed by a women.  It can only be fully Healed by cross-gender Healing, like Nynaeve and Logain. 

If Lanfear was burned out, it could be that she's weaker because she was healed by the DO (none of the forsaken know the weave). 

I see the question the same as RAW.  I further think Satalle must be healed to change Tuon's attitude toward channelers.  Also, we don't really KNOW the differences(if any) between stilling and burnout.  By admission Aes Sedai basically tell them to get lost and die, stilling happens as a punishment, burnout happens by accident.  I believe like so much other Aes Sedai crap that a myth grew up around the differences and the myth became fact.

Archived