DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A few things about Mat!!

Blackrose

Ok just re-reading TDR last night i found something that could suggest mat can channel himself.

chapter 20, page 229,

"How are you feeling?" the Amyrlin asked briskly as she put her hand on his head. Goose bumps covered his skin. Had she done something with the one power, or was it being touched by an Aes Sedai that made him feel a chill?

from what i heard later in the series rand senses that females are channeling near him by the goose bumps. So does this mean that mat could possibly channel?

Also Mat is linked to the horn but later in the books he supposidly dies after Rhudien(SP?)and is hanging on th tre. Does this mean that he is free from the link of the horn?

this is my first real post here so be gentle :P

Most likely the goosebumps are just a perfectly normal reaction to Mat being nervous about the possibility that Siuan is channeling.

As for his death, Mat did not die in Rhuidean. He died in caemlyn, a death that was undone when rand balefired Rahvin which means he never actually died, so the link is still there.

• 1 month later...

As for his death, Mat did not die in Rhuidean. He died in caemlyn, a death that was undone when rand balefired Rahvin which means he never actually died, so the link is still there.

Im pretty sure he did die in Rhuidean...Didn't the first finns he visited say he would die and live again?

I never thought about it but there is a chance Mat could be able to learn to channel. Im not sure how much it runs in the family but his sister can and it appears she will be pretty strong. The Two Rivers was pretty fruitfull for both Aes Sedai harvesting and Ashaman harvesting.

As to him dying. True, RJ said that Mat did not die at Rhuidean. He did die when Rahvin fireballed everybody. Im not sure if that broke the link to the horn or not but im guessing no. I think Mat will be blowing the horn again come last battle.

That would be flaming hilarious if the other person besides Tuon who dislikes channeling the most could learn to channel.

The link was not broken because though Matt died of lightning, he didn't technically.  Rahvin killed him, Avi and Asmo but Rand then balefired rahvin into last week so Matt, Avi and Asmo were never really dead.

Guest durram laddel cham

I don't think Mat can channel it just would have happened earlier I think. and I just don't see Mat channeling, he would rather die I guess.

I don't think Mat can channel it just would have happened earlier I think. and I just don't see Mat channeling, he would rather die I guess.

Not if Matt is one of those who can be taught to channel. Rememeber Rand is a Sparker and channeled wheather he wanted to or not, but alot of the men Taim found had to be guided to the ability Matt could be one of those as well.

[glow=Green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]

Scenario: Rand asks Mat if Mat wants to be tested if he can learn. Mat punches Rand in the face and promises to chop off his other hand if Rand ever suggests any such thing again.

I strongly doubt Mat can learn to channel, and even if that was the case, we would never know, since Mat would never agree to be tested.

I don't think mat can channel, though i do think there is room for a male character we've perviously met to learn--my guess is Gawyn.

But meh, on the original issue, Mat's goosebumps in the face of Siuan's channeling--if that were a power reaction then Mat would have been channeling at that stage, and we would have seen further channeling and reaction on his part.

So, no, Mat wasn't channeling--and whilst we havn't seen anything that specifically forbids the possibility, i personally think its unlikely.

Well, you can enter T'A'R without channeling. (Perrin does it all the time.) Maybe you can sense other people's channeling even if you can't channel yourself.

Or maybe Mat is just afraid of Aes Sedai, which just by coincidence happens to cause a similar reaction to Rand's ability to sense saidar.

Exactly like the chill and tingle Thom Merrilin feels when Moraine limbers up his knee whilst giving him her little "Get your ass to Tanchico" pep talk.  Thom can't channel but might be able to be taught, he had a nephew that could channel so it's somewhere in his genetic bloodline, though we don't know how close.

Though i said that perhaps Mat could learn to channel i agree, he wont. Mainly because he has no desire to and also because i dont think it would work for the story.

Someone mentioned Gawyn as a possible male who could start channeling, i would rather keep it in the family and have Galad start channeling.

That would be freaking awesome, the Lord Captain Commander of the Children of the Light is a channeler.

Yea, if mat had truly been dead, rand would not have been able to save him. As far as him channeling? the reaction he gets is partly the reaction everyone has when they get healed and partly nervousness at being touched with saidar.

I would like to see Gawyn be able to channel. I wouldnt like it to be Galad because i am not sure galad wouldnt off himself and i kind of like galad. If gawyn could channel it might be the thing neccasary to sew together him and rand and make them friends again. he is Elaynes brother after all. Honestly, i think it would be nice if Lan could learn to channel. Him and nyneave together? psshhh...unstoppable.

Archived