DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Darienna and Rory (Part 2)

Sam

The difference between a sulk and a mope is that a sulk listlessly nurses some petty resentment, a mope does not. A mope does not even bother to justify its actions only perform them in that terribly proficient manner. Rory was caught up in a mope. It may have been a sulk several days ago, but that was then, this was now and things had changed.

She had been drinking a lot of water, it was difficult to maintain a steady cry if your body runs out of moisture. Food was not so important. What happened, where had she gone wrong, did she do something to offend Lillian, should she have? Saline was gone, Lillian was gone. The only familiarity around which her life revolved was Darienna Sedai. If a competition were held to ascertain what thoughts were the most comfortable, The Mistress of Novices being the only constant in your life would win against all others … … by twisting their ankles until they squealed.

Saline: thinking of her caused Rory pain. There was a hole inside her, one that swallowed everything and left nothing, and never would until they were reunited. It had been so hard to sleep, at first, without the soothing sound of Saline’s sleepy breath, the smell of her perfume. Like a baby with nothing of home, she spent her nights restless and anxious. There was nothing of Saline in this place.

Her thoughts—in that quiet time when she was not the foundation upon which a tower of work was built or too exhausted to remain awake—were plagued by wicked dreams of their reunion. Nothing would be the same. Saline would forget her, move on without her and when she was released from confinement she would not even be recognized.

And what of Lillian, wise and encouraging Lillian; Rory had driven her away. There was a limit after all. Lillian had been the first person, in whom Rory had confided her trust. It was she who had so patiently spent months showing her the path to saidar. Lillian had not spent so much time with her once she had become a full Aes Sedai and yet the knowledge that this new gap between them was one of will and not responsibility stung. There was nothing from her ‘old life’ left to cling to …

… Except her worst enemy, Darienna Sedai.

Amazing how a small thing like circumstance could change a person’s perspective. Darienna had always been that one Aes Sedai she most dreaded; the one there to always spoil her fun or to lecture and punish. Rory hardly spent more time with her now than she had before and she was stationed in an isolated area of Darienna’s choosing.

There was no one else. Darienna taught all of her lessons and strictly controlled any visitors she had, which meant she had none, and her trips around the tower, which meant she went nowhere. Absurd, yet Rory was learning, learning more than she had anywhere else and by way of coping mechanism. When she was angry she buried herself in her studies angrily, when she was sad she would leak tears all over the pages, and when tired she would fall asleep in her ink pot. Better that than return to her cold and alien bed.

There were no prizes, then for guessing where exactly she was right now, bent over an almanac; dutifully copying out pages onto blank parchment. There were several blotches beside her small, precise writing (Rory had been getting a lot of practise) where her hand had cramped so badly she was forced to place the quill down. No point in stopping completely, though, she didn’t have anything else to do.

Kneading her forehead, Darienna set her quill in the inkwell as she looked over the latest letter she had written.  One of her teachers had been out of line with a student, deciding to take a physical punishment into their own hands and it had not been for that Aes Sedai to act in such a way.  Darienna had expectations of her teachers and instructors, and one of them was to abide by the very simple rules that were laid out for them in terms of behaviour.  They were allowed to allot a variety of punishments, but administering physical punishment was not their purview for a good reason, or any other Aes Sedai's for that matter.  The woman would have her own penance to serve as a result, to serve as a reminder that in the future she would keep her hands to herself.

Thoughts of discipline brought Darienna's thoughts to Rory quickly enough, one of her more prominent charges and projects.  It had been four months now, and the change in the girl's demeanour was apparent to anyone who saw her.  Of course, seeing as Darienna had made sure that Rory's only human contact was herself, she was the only one to notice how subdued Rory was.  Darienna was fairly certain that the girl was still crying often, and that her obedience came more from a self loathing and a way to cope without Saline, but Darienna hadn't expected to fix Rory so quickly.  This was simply the first stage, allowing things to become so untenable for Rory that she would break, and then they could rebuild from there.

A bit calculated, perhaps cold, but Darienna was more concerned with achieving the end goal, which was leaving Rory no choice but to grow up.  If Rory was left as she was, she would never become an Aes Sedai and she would never develop any strength of personality or willpower.  She would be slave to whoever she drew her strength from, and any woman who was slave to another was useless to themselves and those around them.

For now, it was simply a waiting game, checking on Rory every day and giving her chances to open up, which she would have to inevitably because she didn't have the certainty in herself to be self contained.  Then again, if she'd had that certainty, then this exercise would have been completely unecessary to begin with, and Rory would have known better than to perpetuate her stupidity for so long.  But she would learn, it was just a matter of when.

Rising from her seat, Darienna left the letter on the table, she was about due to visit Rory as it was nearly lunch.  Afterwards she could send the letter off, and return to rest of the paperwork that was sitting on her table.  Making her way out of her office and closing her door behind her, Darienna turned to the left and passed only a couple of doors before she found the one she was after.  Knocking, Darienna waited only a moment before opening the door and allowing herself inside.

There was Rory, sitting at her desk with a quill in hand and trying to present a strong face, the model student.  A facade, but Rory was determined to keep it going so Darienna would allow her to do so until she exhausted herself and was ready to talk.  Sitting down in the seat that sat next to Rory's, Darienna removed the pipe from her mouth with one hand as she gestured to the book and paper on the desk.  She asked the same question that she asked of Rory everyday when she saw her for the first time.

"What have you learned today?"

Darienna Ceradin

Mistress of Novices

“Today I be learning that there do be a six percent fall in precipitation this summer, and while this is slightly above average for precipitation decreases it is in no way alarming no cause for concern. I no do be knowing what precipitation is, actually. Not important though, I be thinking. The text be saying as much. I also be learning that I be able to write out about five hundred words before my hand do be cramping. You see? I do be marking per word as I go.”

Picking up a loose piece of paper, Rory waved it under Darienna’s nose absently. There was very little on it except for very small strokes to tally the words she was managing to write between pauses. Not a task normally associated with achievement, to be sure, but writing is devilishly hard work and she was just pleased that she was finally able to do it with a measure of competency.

Studying was not difficult as all that when you get the hang of it and Rory was fast finding out that if you find little ways to make it entertaining it can be entertaining. When the alternative is bottom-of-the-pond-stone boredom, anything was worth a go. At present she was penning the final turrets onto a diagram, or rather the castle she’d drawn on it. The diagram was acting as moat just now; Rory judged it far more useful in its present employ. The castle did relate to her lessons. More or less.

Darienna and she had gotten along far better after her little episode. When not pressuring a pupil to tears the Mistress of Novices could be quite a nice lady. For an Aes Sedai. Not being the object of that unbeatable stare definitely improved things. It is hard to hold stimulating conversation when you’re busy squirming in your chair. Rory had gotten a lot of practise at that.

The decision to ask the question did not come with an unexpected flash-in-the-pan thought process, rather a quiet hum as the gears and levers in her head whirred in their new direction. Her head rotated like the mast on a square rig, turning to look at the only person in the world in whom she could confide, purely out of necessity. It was not a question she wished to ask directly, if she was missing some over-looked and simple fact . . .  minimizing embarrassment would be easier this way.

“Do you be thinking Lillian will forgive me any time soon?”

• 2 weeks later...

Not looking up from the paper as Rory asked her question, Darienna couldn't help but wonder if the waiting was done.  Was Rory at the point that she had been waiting for?  It was hard to know for sure, but there was an easy way to find out.  Laying the paper on the table, Darienna leaned back in her seat and replaced her pipe as she looked at the Accepted.  Not with the withering stare she sometimes employed, or that near effortless communication of complete contempt for the subject before her that she reserved for those who truly managed to arouse her ire.  No, this was a simple and almost blank face that was turned to Rory as she said.  "What does Lillian have to forgive?"

Rory was no fool and Darienna was fooling nobody. Oh she knew what Rory meant by the question, oh yes she did. It'd be a lie to think she didn't and no one was going to make a liar out of Rory Baker! Not without her full co-operation and maybe even a signed affidavit. Rory could write now, you know.

"I no do be sure 'precisely' . . ." she began, cautiously, "stupidity I do be thinking. I do be knowing she be angry but I no do be expecting it to be so much. She no do be coming to see me at all since 'that' and I do be knowing better than to be expecting her. She do be one of my teachers and my actions do be reflecting poorly on her. Sorry no do be enough by itself for my actions, and I do be figuring what else later."

Now her gaze did become a touch withering as Darienna looked at Rory.  She was skirting what had happened, and it was of little good to Darienna for Rory to try and conceal things.  She didn't have the energy to dig, and furthermore she was not going to chase the matter.  Either Rory wished to talk about it, or she did not.  "I'm going to be blunt, Rory.  If you want to talk about it, then talk about it.  If you don't, then don't.  That tells me practically nothing and I could have guessed as much myself without you saying a word.  You want my advice or not?"

Making a placating gesture, Rory resigned herself to more speaking, even though it certainly was not necessary. "When she do be coming to see me and we do be arguing, I do be having cause to get heated. She do be right to be mad at me, not me at her and I do be regretting some of the things I do be saying but she be mad before that and I no do be thinking my words be being the cause for it."

"I no do be able to say sorry in person and I no do be sure I be wanting to face her yet anyway but I do be wanting her to know I be sorry for letting her down and upsetting her. I no do be wanting to talk about what I did to Arette Sedai anymore, it do be making me feel sick inside and I no do be able to apologise enough. Maybe she do be forgiving me if she be knowing I know what I do be doing and how serious it was. I no do be wanting her angry at me any more. Or at least not so much."

Frowning as she mulled the words over, Darienna couldn't help but wonder what had pushed Lillian so.  Arette's near miss was one thing, she had been highly distressed and Darienna had known that it might have been a bad idea to let her talk to Rory.  On the otherhand, it had allowed it to be vented rather than to leaving it to fester, and that had been important for both Lillian and Rory.  But what had made her snap then, if Rory could not figure it out?  "What were the last things you said to Lillian before she snapped?  I'm assuming she snapped because there is no other way to explain why she has been as she is."

A brief note on embarrassed reddening of the face: it is a very clear indication of what sort of things a person may be thinking about at any given time without them opening their mouth to do anything more than smile guiltily. Emphasis on the guilt. That is what Rory was doing at that very moment and she could not have been more obvious if she tried. I mean that.

“I no do be remembering word for word . . . but I do be angry at the time and she do be angry and we be heated and arguing. I do be saying that maybe I no do be the only one responsible as I no do be wanting to be here in the first place, and no one do be warning me of the testing so maybe it do be her fault just a little.”

Rory squirmed in her seat and fell silent, looking at the floor. Her inability to take responsibility for her actions was a well-broadcast flaw and she didn’t want to see Darienna’s reaction. She peered out from the corner of her eyes, through her lashes, anyway.

Listening, Darienna had to bit down on her pipe to make sure she didn't let something slip as Rory spoke of what had been said.  A very strong suspicion of what had been said was at the forefront of her thoughts, and if it were the case then she was not surprised that Lillian had decided to steer clear of Rory.  But, it depended on what Rory had said.  "The last, Rory.  What did you say about the testing?  Think very carefully on this, I want your exact wording."

Recollecting her words verbatim was difficult, it could be compared to literally having to go back and time, to scan through the pages of her past like a book, or online forum. Something like that. But after much strenuous effort on her part she was able to remember and even replay:

“I do be saying, ‘Where do be the reason here at all? Nobody do be telling me of the dangers of saidar, no body do be telling me the dangers of the tests. Where do be the reason in throwing untrained girls into those blooming arches without even a heads up to the fact that there do be a very real possibility that one be dying in them. Where do be reason, then, Lillian, and where be you?’ Yes. Those be my words.”

Lifting a hand to her mouth as Rory spoke, Darienna felt like something had died right beside her heart.  To think that those were the words that Rory had spoken to Lillian, it was amazing that more had not resulted of it.  There were very few chinks in Lillian's armour, and they were only vulnerable to those she cared about.  It had been unwitting on Rory's part, but it would have hurt nonetheless.  "Rory...  What have you done?  You do not know what you have done, do you?"

If you have ever had a premonition that something very bad was about to be revealed, a premonition sparked by an obvious question that sucks your belly down into your boot straps, you will understand how Rory was feeling at that moment. Of course she did not know what she had done. Darienna knew that, the very reason for this conversation in the first place. Rory was certain Darienna asked her questions to be a nuisance. Not this time.

The alarming pitch would have been used whether or not Rory was present and something about that tone made her eyes grow round as a startled deer. In response she shook her head ever so slightly, hardly daring to breath.

Removing her pipe from her lips, Darienna tried to couch what she had to say as best she could.  A fools things to have done, but done with a fools ignorance.  "She is one of the few Aes Sedai that openly questions the Arches, Rory.  She steadfastly refuses to participate in any of the tests she is that set against them, I don't even ask her anymore."  Pausing for a moment, she found she couldn't soften it further without lying.  "Her best friend, Taei Mirel, failed the test of the three Arches, she did not re-emerge and was lost when the ter'angreal fell silent."

A sound somewhere between a groan and a wail was the only noise she could make at first. Rory slumped in her chair, wounded. What was there to say to something like that? Why hadn’t Lillian told her, why had no one else. Oh, what Lillian must have thought! Without quite understanding why, she was as miserable as when she had sought Darienna’s help with the fallen Arette, her eyes glassy and vision blurred.

“I no do be knowing, light forgive me, I no do be knowing.”

It was tempting to shout at Rory, an instinct born of the fact that Rory had wounded Lillian so.  But Darienna was not going to succumb to that temptation.  It was one thing to deliberately hurt someone, it was another to make a mistake so unwitting.  It would do no good to rail against Rory for this, and beyond her base instinct she didn't want to.  Instead, she shifted her seat next to Rory's and wrapped an arm around her as she placed her pipe on the table.  "Calm yourself Rory, calm yourself, you did not mean to do her injury.  Shhh."

. . . Odd that one mistake would land her in the boiling kettle, and another would pull her out. No sense in wasting her time moping. She hurt Lillian, accidentally; deeply. Whether or not she intended the cut would not help her heal it. As with Arette Sedai, she had caused damage and now it was up to her to make amends. But it was nice of Darienna Sedai to comfort her, all the same.

With a cause of action sloshing against the inside of her head, Rory brightened. She was so sensitive at times, sensitive and daft. What good would tears be, she wasn’t the one in pain. Not really. And when Lillian was happy with her again everything would be peachy.  Darienna  Sedai would help her, or at least, hopefully not hinder.  Settled.

“No, no, I do be fine, really. I do be having to make it up to her, that do be all. She no do be staying mad at me forever, she do be liking me too much for that. I hope. I do be thinking a cake be in order, something nice, with cream.  Not even Lillian do be able to stay angry in the face of that, I be thinking. It’ll be all fine. You be seeing. It will.”

Chuckling, Darienna couldn't help it at the sudden change of mood in Rory.  One moment there were tears and next moment she wanted to bake a cake to help make it all better.  Squeezing her shoulder, Darienna was glad to see there was a start.  At least an excuse for Rory to go see Lillian, what she could make of it from there would be up to her.  "You might want to try something with a little more depth, but a cake would be a start.  In fact...  I think it may do you good to settle this matter.  Tonight, after meals have been served, you can have leave to bake that cake.  If I have time I will come down and join you, and tomorrow you may see Lillian Sedai."

Rory smiled the kind of smile so bright it carries its own warning label. She had not baked once in her life; how hard could it be: two parts love, thee parts determination and one part sweet, glorious cream. Lillian would forgive her, she would insist. Camp outside her quarters until physically removed if forced to. Someone to talk to other than Darienna Sedai would be very nice. Not that there was anything wrong with Darienna Sedai’s company.

“Thank you.” Two words injected with enough emotion to bake at least two parts of a cake. Rory was elated enough at the change of pace and scenery that she thought she might actually cry. It seemed forever since she had seen Lillian; she couldn’t wait. “I should be getting back to my studies now. Lots to do before dinner!”

Smiling, Darienna got to her feet as Rory turned back to her work.  Retrieving her pipe from the table, with her free hand she reached down and laid her hand on the girl's shoulder.  Resting it there for a moment, she then turned and quietly let herself out of the room, the smile on her face even as she puffed on her pipe.  There would be hope for Rory yet.

• 2 weeks later...

This kitchen was nothing like the one at home. This kitchen was monstruous; and made her feel homesick . . . a lifetime ago she had worked in a kitchen, the oppressive heat lightened by her mother’s laughter as she danced among the stoves and pots like a queen. Their inn may have been humble, but there was no mistaking its mistress, who despite her common dress could have held court, or so Rory had always believed.

Her father knew to stay away, his place was not in the kitchen and his wife made no secret of it. Genial and friendly he was, but for all his dexterity, an utter failure in the kitchen. It never ceased to amaze Rory just how much damage he was capable of doing in his rush to help, or simply to cook a meal to spite his wife while she wasn’t looking. Luckily, she got the best of both parents.

Not that cooking would be the same without her mother. Having not done so for leisure since before coming to the tower it would be strange to do so again. Lillian was worth it, she was sure. Rory knew her way around a kitchen, but her talents extended so far as soup and stew. Anything more complicated than that and she didn’t know what would happen. This cake was going to be. . . .

Darienna was old and old people knew how to cook, bake, fry and grill. This was common knowledge, according to any young person. Between them they would defeat any cake recipe, complicated or other.

It was a quiet night.

Something that Darienna was thankful for as she made her way across the Tower grounds from the Library to the Tower proper.  Her duties were discharged for the day, insofar that there was nothing left for her to do in her official capacity unless someone did something incredible silly.  Novices and Accepted knew better than that though, if they were going to do something then they would do so quietly and in a way that wasn't going to attract any attention to them.  Something that Darienna quietly approved of, it was just when it went too far or someone was overly ambitious that they were going to have a problem.

But, there was still something that needed to be done, Darienna had agreed to help Rory and she would.  As impulsive as the idea had been of Rory's, it wasn't something to be denied but aided.  Maybe working on the cake together would give Rory another chance to open up, and it was a chance for Rory to do something of her own choosing.  As simple as it might seem, certainly to some of her sisters, Darienna was more concerned with the intent and the exercise rather than the end result.  Wanting to do something constructive, to make amends, that was a trait to encourage rather than strip away.

It was some minutes before she arrived in the kitchen, but Darienna was glad to see that Rory was there already and waiting.  Dropping her burden, a very very large leatherbound book, on the table she pointed to it as she walked into the storeroom where there would be some aprons as she spoke.  "Thats the biggest book of cake recipes I could find, unless you have something specific in mind you should leaf through that and see if there is something there that captures your eye that we can do."

Emerging from the storeroom with a pair of aprons, Darienna dropped one next to the book that Rory was looking through as she began to secure her own.

Rory laughed when she saw the size of the cake book. Biggest she could find? Some poor brown sister was likely howling in her office fearing it stolen. It was ginormous. Whoever said that the brown ajah was not for physical pursuit was wrong. Not only was the book heavy enough to count as some form of advanced aerobics, but it looked absolutely lethal.

She began flicking through the pages, not really sure what she was looking for. She had no idea about cakes, never made one, never tried, but it seemed like a good idea at the time and now she was motivated to win . . . that is, to succeed. All of these cakes looked nice, every one, some a little more difficult than others and some she couldn’t even pronounce—amazing.

She slipped her apron out of habit. “My mother and I always do be wearing aprons, or at least I do be. ‘Wash your hands Rory, tie back your hair Rory, you do be putting on your apron Rory or you do be getting out of my kitchen!’ I don’t think I ever be seeing her wearing an apron though, come to think of it. I may have to mention this next time I do be seeing her.”

Rory thumbed back through the book, “Aha! Carrot cake: that do be the one. I think I be having it before. Can’t taste the carrots no matter how many you be putting in. Magic, that is. Nothing says I do be caring about your well-being like carrot cake. The recipe also do be calling for sherry in the icing, and I do be knowing how much Lillian loves her wine!”

“Which way are the carrots?”

Smiling as Rory spoke of her mother, Darienna could imagine the sort of woman that would have been needed to keep Rory in line.  A strong personality would have been required for that, and it had rubbed off on the girl as well.  It made it more difficult to fix her, but it was just as worthwhile regardless.  Then, maybe, Rory would get the chance to go home and see her parents, when she was an Aes Sedai and not thirty something child.

Standing next to Rory as she leafed through the book, Darienna raised an eyebrow at the choice that Rory made.  They were going to be in the kitchen longer than she thought, even if they cheated and that wasn't an option.  But, she'd made the commitment and there was no getting out of it, they'd best start with gathering the ingredients and getting straight to it.

"Carrots are that way, I'll go get the sherry..."

There were some days where it became too easy to become overtired as far as Lillian was concerned.  Not enough time in the day to get what she needed done.  Not that it had to be that way, she could have simply chosen to curtail her interests or lead a more sedentary life as some of her sisters did.  Not that there was anything wrong in itself with that, not all sisters had her interests and she didn't expect them to.

But she did have her interests and she had no intention of abandoning any of them.  So, the occasional night did come where she was too tired to sleep, and it was a useless feeling because she knew that she needed to sleep so she could do more on the morrow, but it wouldn't come.  The easy way to solve the problem was a night cap, but there was no wine left in her quarters.  The easiest way to solve that was the same way she had done so when she was a Novice and an Accepted, to loot the cellar.  The only difference was that she wouldn't get in trouble for it now.

After all, who could begrudge a bit of self medication?

It was only when she stepped into the kitchen that she realised that there were others there.  Two, one of which was Darienna which was slightly confusing, and the other was a girl who she had no intention of speaking to.  As the pair looked to her, Lillian nodded to Darienna as she spoke the woman's name, then turned and kept walking towards the entrance of the cellar without even so much as looking directly at the other.

Rory was working her way through grating the last carrot, hands swinging wildly as she told the Darienna the story of the one time her father had ever been entrusted to cook in her mother’s kitchen. Her father had followed the recipe incorrectly, and rather than a smidgeon of cayenne pepper to warm the stew, he put in well over cup and turned the stew into free-ale-chili. So named for afterwards he was forced to give every customer free ale, to their delight. He was also banned from the kitchens forever.

When she saw Lillian she sucked in a breath, made a sudden movement to hide the carrots and ended up spilling carrot shavings everywhere. Lillian stiffened and walked past. Rory stared at her back and tried desperately to think of something to say. Fortune prick me! If only the cake were ready, she was sure she’d know what to say then.

She stared at Darienna, who was looking at her expectantly, then back to Lillian’s retreating back, mouth doing its best impression of a goldfish. Half of her wanted to speak, to say anything even if it was incredibly stupid, the other half wanted to clam up and hide. Both teams were incredibly strong.

Why wasn’t Darienna doing anything? Surely she could say something. Well yes, she could and wouldn’t and Rory knew it and didn’t even have to look to her face for confirmation. Rory’s mess, Rory could clean it up. Well, Rory didn’t think she had ever been a good cleaner and didn’t see why there would be a start now. [blood and bloody ashes, she do be getting away!

“Lillian, wait. I do be baking you a cake!” It was better than nothing.

Pausing midstep, Lillian couldn't believe what she had just heard.  Rory was baking her a cake?  What?  Surely there must have been something else that was meant to accompany that.  Turning around and eyeing Darienna, Lillian only took a moment to figure out what was going on.  It wasn't as if Darienna hadn't kept her appraised of how Rory was after all, despite what had been said she'd still been worried about how the girl was.  An apology was it then?  It would have to come from her mouth as opposed to the form of a cake though.  Looking to Rory, Lillian's features were strictly neutral as she said.  "What?"

“A cake!” Rory reaffirmed, “it has wine in it!” Her smile was sickly and rather hopeful.  Being Rory she could not rush out and say ‘I’m sorry’ all by itself, and she knew this was her moment if it was ever going to come. She was getting smarter. “I be . . . Darienna and I,” she corrected herself, “be making you a cake and I do be  going to give it to you and then I be going to say I’m sorry because I really do be sorry Lillian and I do be missing you and do be wanting us to be friends again!” She took a breath.

Frowning, Lillian tilted her head slightly as she studied Rory.  She was earnest enough, but there was still no explanation for why she was sorry.  Since why was what concerned her most of all, it was naturally the next question she was going to ask.  "Why are you sorry, Rory?"

Rory’s eyes widened, "Oh! I do be sorry because I be constantly doing stupid things and then I do be doing more stupid things when I do be trying to make up for the last stupid things! I do be sorry for Arette Sedai and I do be especially sorry for the way I be speaking to you afterwards. I no be having any right. I do be sorry that I no do be having done justice to our friendship before now but I do be going to start with this cake! And I really, really do be sorry about Taei . . ."

Pausing as Lillian accepted what was said, she maintained her schooled features when Taei was mentioned.  It wasn't a topic she liked to talk about, but clearly Darienna had because otherwise Rory wouldn't have known.  But that wasn't what mattered, what mattered was that Rory was sorry for the right reasons, and that she was trying to make up for it and she was improving.

Striding over to Rory, Lillian didn't say anything as she simply hugged Rory who returned it just as fiercely.  Looking up at Darienna who caught her glance, whatever was on the minds of the pair wasn't spoken as Lillian looked back to Rory as she disengaged from the Accepted.  "If you're going to be cooking, I might as well do something as well.  Might as well have a drink while we're at it, go and grab a couple of bottles from the cellar."

Scholarly life had taken away some of Rory’s tone. It was hard to keep fit when confined exercise was boring and so she hadn’t bothered. She couldn’t return the hug as strongly as she would have liked to, but she gave it a heck of a go anyway. It felt good. Real good and Rory was almost crying. Lillian’s worth to her hadn’t really been clear up until that moment when she got back what she had lost. And here, all the books said you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone. Well, Rory was adding a new page. You don’t know what you’re missing until you find it again.

Rory knew her way to the cellar and reluctantly parted with Lillian to go and do so.  Rory reasoned that she being in the cellar would probably give Darienna and Lillian some time to speak with one another while she was gone, so she took her time, which was exceedingly hard as she was so happy her hands wouldn’t stop shaking. She almost dropped a bottle. Light, she had not had a drink in ages! Of course, she lacked Lillian’s refined taste and could have gone for a mug of ale.

When she returned Darienna asked, “What took you so long?” Rory sighed. So much for progress. . .

Rory eyed the number three card, which was looking suspiciously like a number eight. This game was difficult! She didn’t remember the name; didn’t remember a lot of things right now. Who knew wine was so . . . tasty! How much she had drunk, well she didn’t remember that either. Lillian and Darienna were handling themselves okay and she was resolved not to let them know that she saw one and a half of each of them.  Creator’s lightly toasted beard, what  do be in this stuff?

Their cake was in the oven, she could smell it but only a little. Darienna’s pipe smoke was aggressively defending its nasal territory and, like a wounded old dog, was too fierce for any serious contenders to emerge. Rory had wanted to try it earlier, after many calf-eyed expressions and begging Darienna had relented . . . Rory spent the next half an hour in the bathroom vowing never to even look at a pipe again. They were the work of the Dark One.

Rory, having never witnessed Aes Sedai at ease before, or at least not the one who was currently veiled in smoke like a demon birthed from hell, was enjoying this immensely. Lillian appeared to be more relaxed too and Rory was really glad to have her back. Actually, she was pretty happy in general right now. Not even the fact that she was supposed to be being punished with work and chores right now mattered much—especially when she wasn’t being asked to do them!

Rory knew she was going to be beaten this round, she had been beaten every round since they started and she could actually read the numbers then. This game was pure evil, why it was even allowed in the tower was beyond her. Surely there was some kind of evil-meter that it sounded on loud and clear. It really was that bad! Light, what was it called?

Darienna was finding that the current atmosphere around Rory was far more relaxed than it normally was.  Plying her with wine had only increased the girl's euphoria, so the walls Rory normally tried to keep up weren't to be found.  By the same token, Darienna had lowered hers a bit as had Lillian, when someone did the right thing they needed to be treated accordingly.  Rory had taken the right step, so the response was to show her that she was more trusted, and welcome, and that there was no need to keep isolating herself from them.

As there was time to burn as the cake was baking, they'd fetched a couple more bottles and Darienna had revealed a deck of cards that she usually had on her person.  Chop was an easy enough game to play, and they'd done so except for the break where Rory had tried to draw from her pipe.  The ensuing antics had left Darienna and Lillian both laughing themselves silly as Rory had been somewhat ill and completely unwilling to give the pipe a second go.

As for Chop, well, Lillian was good but Darienna knew she had the luck of the cards with her.  Most likely she had taken Rory's share, who hadn't won a single round and was struggling to focus, and struggling to make it look like she wasn't struggling to focus.  It was rather cute actually, and had Darienna thinking that maybe it would be worthwhile plying some more of the students with alcohol.  But, they could handle that themselves if they were game enough to do so.

But, with the last round of Chop they needed something else to do.  Slipping her deck back into its pack and quickly tucking it away at her belt, Darienna was surprised at the idea that Lillian proposed.

"We'll be awhile, and maybe this game might be a bit more enlightening.  Truth or Dare?"

"Are you serious?  Well, I don't see why not.  As long as what is said or done here stays with the three of us."

"I'm fine with that.  Rory?"

The pair turned to the Accepted.

Darienna Ceradin

Mistress of Novices

Rory giggled. She didn’t actually know why, but that didn’t matter. What mattered was that she had to convince Lillian and Darienna it was because she was that eager to play the game. In truth she had not played it in some years. The last time was before coming to the tower, not even she and Saline had played; it was a way to pass time when she had been disruptive and was temporarily banned from the common room.

Oh, the questions she could ask both Lillian and Darienna. Here was Rory’s chance to get her own back, indeed to ask such appalling and frightful questions that they were forced to anoint her Rory Sedai, Mistress of Truth, right then or there, or some such. She almost said it, but it came out as a giggle instead.

“Yes! Absolutely. I no do be having any problems playing truth or dare.” Quite stealthily she thought, Rory rubbed her hands together.  Payback time.

"Riiight."  Looking to Lillian whose smile was barely discernable, Darienna winked so Rory couldn't see before turning back to the Accepted.  There was going to be some fun had with this after all, they'd have to make the best of it.  Besides, whatever was said was not going to leave the three of them, that was the basic foundation of trust.  "Alright then Rory.  To be fair, you may go first.  Truth."

Rory’s eyes sparkled. Oh yes. Here it would begin. Now, what to ask, what to ask. “Okay. I have one. How much trouble do you ever be getting into before becoming aes sedai?” Rory thought her question was fantastic and couldn’t withhold a look of stupid self-indulgence. She had some more wine to hide it, wondering when it began to taste like sunshine.

Laughing, Darienna realised that that was probably a question she should have anticipated.  Oh, how proud Rory looked at her question, it would be interesting to see how Rory took the answer that she was given. "I actually got in more trouble than you, Rory, though not quite the same.  I quietened down a bit as an Accepted, after I went to the Farm, but not that much.  Why do you think that all the pranks and jokes and silly things that Novices and Accepted do are so easily picked up on?  I've already been there and done it."

"I believe its my turn.  Truth."

Smiling as she looked over at Lillian, Darienna already knew what question she would ask her.  "How many months did you spend on the farm with me?"

"Too many.  Seven months."

Nodding at the answer, Darienna turned to Rory as Lillian did, as now it was Lillian's turn to ask a question. "Truth or Dare?"

Rory gasped. It was a surprise and then at the same time it wasn’t. It did make a lot of sense now that she thought about it. She was being caught rather easily and she was very clever—giggle.  She had never been sent to the farm, not even one. Rather than consider the fact that her own punishment may have been somewhat similar, or that her transgressions may have been somewhat more life-threatening she decided she could puff herself up for the evening at least. And that’s what she did she was obviously sitting straighter in her chair by the time it was her turn.  “Well, you both be choosing truth so I be choosing truth, too!”

"Really?"  Darienna almost rolled her eyes at Lillian's tone, it was overly dramatic but at the same time, Rory was overly drunk.  Regardless, whatever the question was going to be, Darienna was quite certain that Lillian was going to cane the girl well and truly.  She knew that tone of voice far too well by now to mistake it for anything else.  "In that case, whats the closest you've ever come to losing your virginity?  Oh, and when you've answered, my turn and truth."

Rory’s breath hissed out as though she’d just been punched in the belly. If she was drinking at the time it’d have gone everywhere, thankfully she wasn’t, “W-w-what? You mean like . . . like . . .” she made interesting gestures with her hands. For some reason her mouth had suddenly stopped working. Was that in the rules? They never played like that at home. She was sure that that wasn’t in the rules.

Rory looked pained, then plaintive.  There were some questions you just didn’t ask a girl, and this was one of them. There were others, but they weren’t nearly so embarrassing to answer. She assumed this, as she had never been asked them, of course, before right this moment she hadn’t been asked that one either. Lillian would pay, pay!

“Well . . . I . . . err . . . I  . . .” she paused for breath, and a groan, “Like . . . I . . . there was . . .” Another pause and a small sigh. “I-I suppose it do be, err, just before the, ahhh, prank with the, ahh . . . you know what prank. I, um . . . well, we do be sleeping. That be, Saline and myself, she do be in my—her bed and I do be in mine. I, ah, do be err . . . sitting on her and, um . . . kissing her until she do be awake.” She flushed redder than the wine. 

After the several minutes it took Rory to regain her composure she eyed Lillian with what she thought was a fair amount of danger and said, “Let’s see . . . Do you ever be kissing a girl?”

"Yes."  The simple answer, quickly dealt with and Darienna was pretty sure that Rory was searching for a more adverse reaction than the one Lillian gave.  Not much of a chance of that, she'd known Lillian long enough to know that that was a wasted question.  But, it was her turn now and Lillian was looking at her expectantly.

"Truth."

"Have you ever kissed a woman?"

Darienna rolled her eyes.  "Yes.  My turn, Rory is that truth or dare?"

Rory suspect she was being mocked, but couldn’t prove it. Wine was definitely not her strong point. In her own mind she justified her drunkenness by her lack of muscle tone and the fact that she hadn’t had a solid meal before hand and also that someone was secretly spiking her drinks with some stronger kind of substance.  She didn’t trust either of them to dare so, “Truth.” Well, it was more like  ‘thruth’  to be honest.

Smiling, Darienna already had her question ready.  After all, she'd seen what an effect that Lillian's question had, and it would be interesting to know besides.  Leaning back in her chair, Darienna removed the pipe from her mouth as she asked her question of Rory.  "Are you attracted to men at all or only women?"

Rory grimaced. Now that was just mean. She really knew she was being picked on now. On the other hand she couldn’t really answer. The only person, man or woman that she felt ‘attracted’ to was Saline . . . and Darienna was even supposed to know that. She squirmed a little and then shrugged, “I don’t know.”

“My turn! Truth or dare, Darienna Sedai?” Truth it was, “Why you do be sent to the farm?”

Smirking at the answer Rory gave, the smirk only grew at the question that was fired back at her.  She'd been expecting it the moment the farm had been brought up, and she it didn't trouble her at all to say what she'd done.  After all, it had been done, and truth be told she didn't regret it.  "I 'fraternised' with a Tower Guard for a few months, some people were very unhappy when they found out.  And I believe that was meant to be 'Why did you be sent to the farm?'

Sniffing slightly, Darienna got to her feet as she made her way to the oven.  "Cake smells done.  Rory, you're on clean up."

Groaning, Rory staggered to her feet and began running water to the assortment of cooking tools. Correcting a drunk Illianer’s grammar was such bad form. Lillian came up beside her to give her a hand. Rory decided out of the two of them she’d probably rather the left, and this made her giggle . . . through her nose. Lillian looked at her curiously but Rory just grinned. Today had been a good day!