DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Far Madding Channelers

The Dragon Reborn

Two things I'm wondering about...

1. How do women from Far Madding figure out that they can channel? Especially if they will never even sense the source without leaving Far Madding. I suppose some can be snapped up by Aes Sedai while they were outside Far Madding. But surely that's not the only source of Far Madding Aes Sedai?

2. Is the long-life associated with being Aes Sedai/Asha'man because of actually channeling or because they can channel? For example, women in Far Madding with the spark inborn, who never figure it out and never really touch the Source or only touch it once or twice, do they gain the longevity too?

1. Same way any learner does. By the over-glamrified reputation the Aes Sedai have drawing them in.

2. Slowing is directly related to actual channeling, both the frequency that you channel and the strength of that channeling. People with the ability that never spark don't experience the same effect. Case and point the sul'dam.

Would someone born with the spark, who grows up in far madding feel the loss of the source or some kind of emptiness? People with the spark channel weather they want to or not to begin with so do they feel a sort of "something should be there but isn't feeling" or just nothing?

I believe it's been said that the Guardian acts like a stedding, so anyone who has channeled before will feel the blocking of the Source as a loss/muting.

I see no reason why someone with the potential to channel, yet has never left Far Madding, and thus never channeled, would be bothered by it though.

What I was wodering is that if Morgase did her daily channeling practice, could she live to be 700 years old?  Also (assuming channeling exists in the Fourth Age) does Elayne get to be Queen for hundreds of years?  Something about that strikes me as very wrong!

Well, Morgase living to 700 is a little far-fetched - even the oldest of the Forsaken haven't lived more than 4-500 years of real time (pretty sure on that number, can someone who knows for sure confirm or correct that?).

I'd imagine she could go well past the 200 year mark if she pushed her ability for all it was worth though.

As for the succession, for any nation in Randland, I'd think that, excluding being assassinated or usurped, the ruler's natural life span is the only limit on how long he/she sits on the throne.

Channelers live to be 600+ years old no matter how strongly they can channel, case and point Sorilea.  She is, given the signs nearly 600 years old or a little beyond and she can barely channel.  Also, there is the example of that oil merchant in Tear who I believe they said was 612; so it is possible to live beyond 600.  Barring Morgase being assassinated or doing something stupid, I see no reason for her not to live past 600.  As for Elayne, it depends on a few factors, 1 is if she is stupid enough to take the three oath's, another is if there are any records as to how long the Manetheran Queens ruled.  My guess is Elayne will step aside for her son and duaghter to take the thrones of Cairhein and Andor, respectively, provided there are still such nations, after 100-200 years.  I'm thinking her and Rand's children will be Aes Sedai and Asha'Man.

Don´t think Sorilea is quite that old.

There is a mention of Sorilea trying to set Egwene up with one of her own descendants, and he only 4-6 steps steps removed from her (don´t remember if it was grandchilds grandchild or one more grandchilde in it;)), anyway, if she´d been 600, there should have been several more steps in between methink. Sorilea is propably around Cadsuanes age, wich fits rather well with a somewhat active, but rather weak channelers lifespan methink.

Cadsuane would ofcourse live quite alot longer thou, without the oath´s.

Shame the merchant who´s the eldest in the kin hasent shown up, guessing she would haveto be rather strong to live that long.

//dyring

One problem, without the oaths Cadsuane would be in her middle years, she wouldn't be as wrinkly as Sorilea.  Reana Corle is 412 and she's not as wrinkly as sorilea.

Sorilea is way weaker. she ages faster. Add that skin wrinkles faster when your in the sun alot (direkt quote from the books, from memory thou so might be some minor mistake in it "We slow Nynaeve, how much depends on our strength, but when doesent", Elayne sais that, while discussing ages, I belive it was in Salidar.

//dyring

Archived