DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

First Day Back (open)

Arath Faringal

Drex stalked the hallway of Vandorf Lyons Academy toward the cafeteria.  His first day back and been just as he had expected.  Boring as hell.  Amazing how little things changed in a year.  The same arrogant jerks still running around as the popular crowd, making life miserable for everyone else.  Fortunately he had never had to deal with much of that before.  The jocks that did most of the bullying were for the most part a pretty stupid lot, but smart enough to know where they could buy good notes for finals week.

But it seemed that memories were short.  After just one year gone, his clientel seemed to have forgotten that he was responsible for them advancing ot the next year.  As he entered the cafeteria a small group of jocks spied him and rushed over, broad, ugly grins all over their faces.  Drex searched his mind quickly for their names.  Connolly?  Ah yes, Matthew Connolly the third.  The turd, he thought to himself wryly.

"Looks who's finally back boys," said Matthew Connolly.  "Little Drexy."

"Mat," acknowledged Drex in his most bored tone.  How had he ever been friends with this guy in elementary school?  He stared straight into the taller boy's eyes.  "Go away."

Connolly stared at him for a moment in apparent confusion, then turned on the spot and left.  His two friends stared after him for a couple seconds, wondering what was going on, then followed.  Drex smiled.  That would definitely be nice.  Maybe school woulndn't be so bad when people actually listened to what he said.

After picking up some food from a vending machine, Drex walked over to a nearby empty table and dropped into the seat, looking at his schedule.  Spanish next hour.  He almost laughed.  He could probably pass that class in his sleep now.  Stuffing the paper back into his bag he glanced around the room.  Idly he wondered if anyone else he knew would be around.  After seeing Connolly the Turd he wouldn't mind seeing a friendly face.

OOC:  Anyone who wants to be an old friend, or a new one, feel free to pester.

Damon was walking through the hallway wondering where he had put his homework. He had put it in his book...he was sure he did...He could remember it clearly this morning...His dad giving him a hard time about his grades and he picked it up yelled at his dad that he had done his homework last night and shoved the paper in his bag. Right before his dad started to tell him what a loser he was turning out to be.

-maybe he's right- he thought. Damon shook his head clearing that thought out. He would not do that to himself...His dad was a total jerk and Damon wasn't about to start believing what he said. starting to jog to his locker, he didn't see the boy casually walking the other way...what ensued was  like a rainshower of paper, books and a few choice words from both kids. " Ah, man I am so sorry."  Damon lookup and was surprised to see a familiar face. "Dreggs...is that you?"  Drex's lips compressed into two thin lines at the name that used to annoy him so much. "Man it is so cool to see you! Didn't you run off to live in mexico or something?"

Drex nodded at this.

"Things have been crazy around here in the last year... You have no idea!" Damon thought briefly about Mat and his fire and Erik with his weather thing. He couldn't tell Drex about that though, it wouldn't exactly be right to throw his friend out in the public about their secret...He wasn't even ready to have people know about what he could do

--Hey drex, I can make mountains and make my own doors through brick and metal. Oh and if you need a sandblaster to remove paint...just let me know.--

Yeah, that wasn't happening.

"So what's up with you, man? How was mexico?

Damon Jord

• 2 weeks later...

Muttering to himself, Mat weaved his way through the crowded hallway as he headed toward his locker. Too damn much homework already! He laughed at himself for complaining about something he enjoyed. His schedule was tough, but the work kept him from getting bored, and besides he loved science and math. Being a dumb jock was just too boring, even if the chicks were easier to find at a pep rally than in a chemistry lab. Chuckling at the thought, he opened his locker and crammed in far too many books for a morning’s efforts, then slammed it shut and started thinking about lunch.

Over his shoulder, he heard Mouse’s voice in the din. Apparently, their adventures of the day before had gone undetected by the population at large, since men in white coats hadn’t come and taken him away for some anal probing. Which, as far as Mat could tell, was all for the good.

Yelling over the hubbub of the congested passageway, Mat addressed his short friend who was talking to some kid Mat hadn’t seen before.

“Hey, Mouse! Let’s go get some lunch! I’m starving!” Hefting his backpack over his shoulder, he approached the duo. “I need my strength, ‘cause I’ve got a meeting with Dr. Evil this afternoon.” Laughing at the nickname Mouse had given the gorgeous guidance counselor, he stuck a heavily callused hand out to Mouse’s friend.

“Hi, I’m Mat. Are you hungry?”

• 5 weeks later...

Drex was glad to see a familiar face, even if Damon did remember that infuriating nickname.  "Argentina actually.  And it wasn't bad.  A little trouble toward the end . . . but I liked it.  You should see some of the girls in La Plata . . ."

“Hey, Mouse! Let’s go get some lunch!  I’m starving!  I need my strength, ‘cause I’ve got a meeting with Dr. Evil this afternoon."  Another guy that Drex was sure he'd never seen before walked up, apparently speaking to Damon.  "Hi, I’m Mat. Are you hungry?”

Arath appraised the athletic looking newcomer for a moment than shook his extended hand.  "Drex.  And nah, I just ate.  But I've got nothing better to do so why not?"

The little group headed down the hallway toward the cafeteria.  "Dr. Evil huh?  I suppose you're talking about the councilor from hell?  Bernes?  She spent the better part of my freshman year trying to convince me that she was 'my friend'.  Kinda creepy.  So what did you do to grab her attention?"  Come to think of it, she would probably want to see him before long too.  News had a way of traveling quickly, even halfway around the world.  Coming home right after the 'suicide' of a fellow student would be more than enough for her to hit him with a dozen counciling sessions.

I think it’s because he has this uncanny ability to play any sport ever made…or…it could be this annoying trend to have all the girls eyes focus on him when he walks by. I think all that pressure’s getting to him so Dr Evil is going to help him by draining him of all human emoti—ack.” With a friendly push, Mat had tossed Damon across the hall and into a group of girls who were, of course, goggling at Mat.

“Hey girls…sorry ‘bout that. How about I make it up to you by helping you all with your homework.” He said in an over the top suggestive tone. This of course only got the group of girls to start throwing things at him. He ran, laughing out loud, to catch up to Drex and Mat. They were still talking about the counselor…

“She is kinda creepy. I have her for the next two weeks. I guess my lack of ‘motivation in the classroom’ has made me her current victim. Hey Mat, if you want I can start crying in my session…maybe she’ll have to spend so much time comforting me that the session will run late and cancel yours for the day.” Mat just laughed shaking his head.

OOC:Just letting you know I am still here and filling some space. :P

Damon

Mat laughed at Damon’s antics. The smaller boy seemed to have completely relaxed after yesterday’s freak show escapades. Still, Mat wondered how Trench Coat was doing… he’d heard nothing but nothing regarding the surly loner. Not even whispers about the “lightning” strike.

Responding to the Drex’s comments without averting his eyes from his smaller friend’s humorous attempts to show off to the girls, Mat acknowledged that Drex’s hunch had been correct.

“Yep, Ms. Bernes,” he said. “A fitting name, too. Cause she is hot! But when I talk to her it gives me the creeps, for some reason. Like she’s trying to see inside my head or something.” Laughing at the absurd notion, Mat added, “That’s not normal, even if she’s a teacher-type. And I guess she just wants to see how I’m adjusting to the new school. Today is just my second day at this academic paradise.”

Mat wasn’t about to talk about his dad to a complete stranger. Neither Ms. Bernes nor this guy Drex, even if Mouse seemed to think he was cool. Finally seeing that Damon was finished fooling around with the chicks, Mat started walking toward the cafeteria, with Drex matching pace alongside him.

When Damon caught up with them, he added his own “helpful” suggestions. “She is kinda creepy. I have her for the next two weeks. I guess my lack of ‘motivation in the classroom’ has made me her current victim. Hey Mat, if you want I can start crying in my session…maybe she’ll have to spend so much time comforting me that the session will run late and cancel yours for the day.”

Laughing at the notion, Mat just shook his head. Damon didn’t have any shame at all! Winking at one of the girls who was looking their way, Mat changed the subject. “Mouse, I think she likes you. But if you’re done tackling girls in the hallway, we can go get something to eat. I bet they’ll even have some cheese for you!”

Laughing out loud as Damon voiced his indignant protest, Mat temporarily managed to put the thoughts of his upcoming counseling session out of his mind.