DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[MOVIE] The Thirteenth Floor

Shendare

I had never heard of this movie, but I just finished watching it, and I'm very glad I stumbled across it. Well worth the watch, somewhere between 4 and 5 stars. I only give 5 stars to movies I could watch over and over again, which are few and far between. This I could probably watch another time or two, at least.

Quickie plot appetite whetter (by yours truly):

A group of researchers has spent the last six years developing a fully life-like 24/7 persistent virtual world. It's designed to let people jack in by going unconscious and swapping minds with one of the characters inside.

Things become complicated when soon after the system is finally completed, the leader of the research group, Dr. Fuller, winds up dead. All fingers start to point to another man working on the project, Doug Hall, but Doug really liked Dr. Fuller, and wouldn't kill his friend and colleague.

Doug is informed that Fuller called his home phone number shortly before he was killed. When he gets home and finds a cut-off message on his answering machine, he starts to get the feeling Dr. Fuller wanted to tell him something... perhaps even that he tried to leave him a secret message -inside- the virtual world.

Doug heads back to work, and with the help of another friend on the project, jacks into the simulation for the first time. Thus begins the journey to clear his name and find the truth.

As soon as Doug's eyes flashed in the elevator I knew what was going to happen to him (both of him), so the final ending wasn't so unexpected for me.

However, I did have to smack my forehead earlier on when he started driving cross-country like the bartender. I was like, "Oh, duh! I'm an idiot. Pieces falling together, much?"

Archived